Books

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Books

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 01 Nov 2017, 12:43

Been on a lighter reading fiction kick of late, saw Michael Crichton, despite still being dead, had a new book come out! Hadn't read anything of his since his pirate book 6 or 7 years ago so what the hey... oh the e-book is checked out... well they have 2 others by him so:

Timeline

company invents time travel via parallel universes or something, I dunno, anyway, history professor gets stuck back in the 1300s, students have to go rescue him, pretty standard fare, nothing mind-blowing or super surprising, pretty realistic and authentic portrayal of ye olden tymes and how things were done back then, solid lil meh book at 300ish pages

The Great Train Robbery

fictional account of the actual Great Train Robbery of the 1850s (?) in England that blends what really happened with some stylized characters, interesting look at life in London/England then and how the technology and crap worked at the time, extra steps needed to pull off the heist, how random shit no one could have anticipated threw wrenches into thing, fun lil adventure moves briskly, again 300 pages, meh/meh +

and the new one:

Dragon Teeth

Had a T-rex looking skeleton on the cover so was thinking/hoping a Lost World sequel but no, about fossil hunting in the Badlands in 1876. Again fiction and non-fiction blended. About the guys who discovered the first brontosaurus and having to avoid/deal with hostile Indians as this was around Little Big Horn time, 2nd half of the book becomes part of Season 4 of Deadwood, 350 (?) pages... solid meh

Also started Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series. Got and read his (nonfiction) book on Waterloo which a SOTSG search does not bring up for me so I'm guessing I forgot to post about reading that last year so quick recap there:

Waterloo

Cornwell non-fiction account of the days preceding and the Battle of Waterloo, the various missed opportunities and who let Napoleon down and how Napoleon ultimately let himself and France down. Excellent description of the fighting and battle, guy knows how to write about men (and probably women!) in combat, meh+ and why I am giving more of his works a go. so...

The Last Kingdom

Historical fiction following a Northumbrian (border of Scotland and England) whose land is captured by the Danes when he's like 10, they raise him, he fights for them, against them, it's all crazy, as the Danes/Vikings invade the various petty kingdoms of England until all that's left is Wessex and Alfred (future Alfred the Great). Most of the characters are real and most of their actions are what they actually did. Narrator/protagonist is fictional but provides a nice entry into the world. Again, excellent battle/fighting description, story moves along, 300 pages, meh +

The Pale Horseman

Picks up where the last one ends with Wessex still in Saxon hands but the rest of modern day England either in Danish hands or Welsh/Briton petty kingdoms. Wessex invaded and nearly completely swallowed up by the Danes then ends after Alfred's great victory that turns the tide and will lead to the revival of Saxon England and save the English-speaking peoples. Both books do a nice job not just with the battles and crap but also showing how a raiding, low population people like the Danes/Vikings were a threat to destroy Anglo-Saxon England. Another meh +

tl;dr LDot read a bunch of light, historical fiction stuff and enjoyed it. Go team
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby chrisco » 01 Nov 2017, 13:13

I've been working my way through Moby dick for 18 months now. Another 150 pages to go. At least they are killing whales on the reg.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Theny » 01 Nov 2017, 13:37

chrisco wrote:I've been working my way through Moby dick for 18 months now. Another 150 pages to go. At least they are killing whales on the reg.

Shoulda just watched In The Heart Of The Sea with that heartthrob Chris Hemsworth instead.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby chrisco » 01 Nov 2017, 14:16

Theny wrote:
chrisco wrote:I've been working my way through Moby dick for 18 months now. Another 150 pages to go. At least they are killing whales on the reg.

Shoulda just watched In The Heart Of The Sea with that heartthrob Chris Hemsworth instead.

I seen that jawn. It might have inspired me to pick up this book in the first place.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Nov 2017, 16:20

chrisco wrote:
Theny wrote:

I seen that jawn. It might have inspired me to pick up this book in the first place.

Now you should read the book that In The Heart of the Sea is based on. Full circle.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby chrisco » 01 Nov 2017, 16:27

Briandong79 wrote:
chrisco wrote:
Theny wrote:

Now you should read the book that In The Heart of the Sea is based on. Full circle.

If we are talking about in the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, then I read that one a couple years ago and flew through it.

I'm not blaming Melville for this one. I am one of the few people on earth who take a genuine interest in 19th century taxonomy of whales as compared to how we classify them today. I think I just have not been a very good book reader lately. I'd much rather tear through online longreads nowadays. Either its the format (online vs print) or I've lost interest in reading fiction lately. :beatsme:
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Goose » 15 Nov 2017, 11:24

Goose wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:My fiction rec is I am Pilgrim, good modern spy story, kind of meandering and surprisingly long for that type of book but I enjoyed it. The end of the story wasn't super satisfying but it was a good read throughout and did wrap everything up, perhaps a bit too neatly.

I haven't gotten very far, and it was going along pretty good until I got to the backstory. "I was the smartest guy in the world, going to the best college in America before being recruited into the secretest organization in the US government, where I became the greatest murder investigator ever and wrote the amazingest book on CSI work that everyone talked about in hushed tones the world over and then..." Alright, just get back to the murdered chick in the bathtub.

Going back to this, I bailed before I got to page 200. It was just paragraph after paragraph of "I killed the greatest spy/traitor in the world, who was also my closest friend and also respected me more than humanly possible... and after being interrogated and beaten more than any man could withstand, except for me, I was anointed as Rider of the Blue (wtf? sounds like a GI Joe character)..and the next guy gave me a nod that meant only one thing, total respect...and then..."

At this point I was rooting for the terrorist.

I assume I got out just in time to avoid the perfunctory thriller novel love scene: "and then she grabbed my swollen cock and said 'it's majestic, you must be at least nine and half inches'. I looked her directly into her wanting eyes and told her, you're about half right."
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby ctz31 » 15 Nov 2017, 14:15

Goose wrote:
Goose wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:My fiction rec is I am Pilgrim, good modern spy story, kind of meandering and surprisingly long for that type of book but I enjoyed it. The end of the story wasn't super satisfying but it was a good read throughout and did wrap everything up, perhaps a bit too neatly.

I haven't gotten very far, and it was going along pretty good until I got to the backstory. "I was the smartest guy in the world, going to the best college in America before being recruited into the secretest organization in the US government, where I became the greatest murder investigator ever and wrote the amazingest book on CSI work that everyone talked about in hushed tones the world over and then..." Alright, just get back to the murdered chick in the bathtub.

Going back to this, I bailed before I got to page 200. It was just paragraph after paragraph of "I killed the greatest spy/traitor in the world, who was also my closest friend and also respected me more than humanly possible... and after being interrogated and beaten more than any man could withstand, except for me, I was anointed as Rider of the Blue (wtf? sounds like a GI Joe character)..and the next guy gave me a nod that meant only one thing, total respect...and then..."

At this point I was rooting for the terrorist.

I assume I got out just in time to avoid the perfunctory thriller novel love scene: "and then she grabbed my swollen cock and said 'it's majestic, you must be at least nine and half inches'. I looked her directly into her wanting eyes and told her, you're about half right."

Nice. You haven't truly lived the sotsg life until you have bailed on a dong book rec.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 16 Nov 2017, 13:46

This afternoon I done finished reading the fourth of Stephen King's Dark Tower books, "Wizard And Glass".

Man, this one was a slog. I am taking a breather & reading something lighter before starting book five.

Roland is still The Man, doe.
#2C4S
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Nov 2017, 22:22

Mario Speedwagon wrote:This afternoon I done finished reading the fourth of Stephen King's Dark Tower books, "Wizard And Glass".

Man, this one was a slog. I am taking a breather & reading something lighter before starting book five.

Roland is still The Man, doe.

Hmm, I've debated getting into this series a few times. I doubt I'll take the plunge.

Finished Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane. I liked it, very much in the unreliable female narrator genre with Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. Last 100 pages are terrific, ends fairly abruptly. The first 1/2 of the book involves a plot that basically is unattached from the back half. Not like a swerve like Gone Girl, but like, I'm not entirely sure why I was given that information in this book. It's not even that it's bad, it's actually a good read, it just ends up being unimportant.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 17 Nov 2017, 03:07

Briandong79 wrote:
Hmm, I've debated getting into this series a few times. I doubt I'll take the plunge.

I really like it overall, and the first three books were great, but it just took a wee swerve with this book but he rights the ship & it finished well.

I enjoy how the worlds from all of his different books tie in to this one, like some kind of King Expanded Universe.

Would recommend.
#2C4S
Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 21 Nov 2017, 14:07

About to start in on Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine.

Apparently Wenner picked this guy to write a biography about him and promised he would not exert any creative control over the book. The guy interviewed 250 people for the book. And then did a hatchet job on Wenner in the book. Wenner even unfriended the guy on social media afterwards. LOL.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Magnum » 21 Nov 2017, 15:23

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:About to start in on Sticky Fingers: The Life and Times of Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone Magazine.

Apparently Wenner picked this guy to write a biography about him and promised he would not exert any creative control over the book. The guy interviewed 250 people for the book. And then did a hatchet job on Wenner in the book. Wenner even unfriended the guy on social media afterwards. LOL.

Who DOES that?
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Dec 2017, 10:41

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Briandong79 » 04 Jan 2018, 09:34

Read The Cubs Way by Tom Verducci. Really liked it, but obviously wheelhouse, etc, etc. Good format, basically interspersed chapters about each game from the World Series with the narrative of building the team once Theo came aboard. Verducci had basically unlimited access to the team the whole season so there's good insight throughout. Probably the most interesting interviews were about the pitching decisions made in 5, 6 & 7, and what factored in. Still think Maddon butchered it pretty badly in the last 2 games but it was interesting to see where the thought process was coming from. Also, I had no idea how much the different catchers impacted what Chapman was throwing. Ross didn't think he could catch Chapman's breaking stuff so he threw like 48 consecutive fastballs (not an exaggeration) with Ross behind the plate, and Miggy didn't think he could stay in front of the fastballs so he had him throw almost exclusively sliders. So Chapman was throwing completely different stuff in the 8th and the 9th.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.