Books

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Books

Postby Dthefritz » 13 Mar 2017, 22:52

Theny wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Mj listens to PK's recommendations.

Generally not a good idea. When I was going through the Presidential podcast, when they got to Nixon they had Woodward on as a guest. That guy still has a diamond hard boner for trashing Nixon, to this day. It's a little weird, tbh.

Imagine, if you will, that military service in this country was compulsory. Only those with the wealth of Trump or W, or the slyness of Clinton, could possibly hope to escape. The people who went to fight were your neighbors, classmates and brothers.

Now imagine, that a president sent 30,000 of those people to die in a war that he himself considered unwinnable, and after all those men had died, accepted a peace deal that could have ended the war the minute he took office. I think some people might be bitter about that.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 14 Mar 2017, 07:10

Hopping a plane to England to protest and smoke dope is sly?
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby babylurch » 14 Mar 2017, 07:27

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:Hopping a plane to England to protest and smoke dope is sly?

Hw didn't smoke dope. He ate it.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Mar 2017, 09:08

2 books, both recs:

The Only Rule is that it Has to Work--2 baseball nerds get to run an independent league team for the summer. I liked it. I think basically anyone who likes baseball would enjoy it.

The Girls--Basically a story of a 14 year old girl joining a Manson-esque cult. Better than I thought it would be. Kind of jumps back and forth timeline wise but it's a good build to the end, and then the end kind of craps out, but in a logical way given what you've learned to that point (sorry, being intentionally vague for spoiler reasons).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby babylurch » 14 Mar 2017, 09:17

The Girls was really good.

I just read a book called Into the Abyss about a small plane crash in Canada. Four people survived, 6 people died. It is written by the daughter about the four survivors, and their lives after surviving the crash (and a very cold night in the woods). Pretty interesting. Two of the survivors were a cop and his prisoner. The prisoner was the least injured, and was hailed as something of a hero afterwards. I give it a thumbs up. Now onto a book about the statue of liberty.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby chrisco » 06 Apr 2017, 08:32

If you only read one story about the Hugo Awards this season, it should be this:

Efforts to reach Hiscock were unsuccessful, but Alien Stripper Boned From Behind By The T-Rex is the author’s second Kindle Single.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/hugo-nomi ... x-hiscock/

Wired keeps doing work.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 06 Apr 2017, 08:46

On HIScock.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby JichaelDick » 11 May 2017, 07:55

The 50 Best* Teams in CFB History by Bill Connelly-Bill Connelly, SBN's Football Advanced Metrics guy, wrote a book about 50 teams in CFB history (spoiler: they weren't all the best teams, but they all had some cool stuff). Very engaging, he encourages folks to find their team (although I don't recall a Sakerlina chapter, sorry, Yoke) and read their chapter, but I read straight through since the teams are in chronological order. Pretty quick and engaging read, would highly encourage for the CFB fans here, and would even ask some non-CFB fans to read it and see what the fuss is all about.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 May 2017, 08:21

JichaelDick wrote:The 50 Best* Teams in CFB History by Bill Connelly-Bill Connelly, SBN's Football Advanced Metrics guy, wrote a book about 50 teams in CFB history (spoiler: they weren't all the best teams, but they all had some cool stuff). Very engaging, he encourages folks to find their team (although I don't recall a Sakerlina chapter, sorry, Yoke) and read their chapter, but I read straight through since the teams are in chronological order. Pretty quick and engaging read, would highly encourage for the CFB fans here, and would even ask some non-CFB fans to read it and see what the fuss is all about.

well it's a book about the 50 best programs so, not super surprised USCe is not in there.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby mj3528 » 15 May 2017, 11:56

I just finished this book:

I enjoyed it. It was fun to read about some things I sort of remembered from the 80s and 90s. Not for everyone, but for the history geeks on the site it is a strong recommend.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby Briandong79 » 15 May 2017, 12:21

SouthernYokel wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:The 50 Best* Teams in CFB History by Bill Connelly-Bill Connelly, SBN's Football Advanced Metrics guy, wrote a book about 50 teams in CFB history (spoiler: they weren't all the best teams, but they all had some cool stuff). Very engaging, he encourages folks to find their team (although I don't recall a Sakerlina chapter, sorry, Yoke) and read their chapter, but I read straight through since the teams are in chronological order. Pretty quick and engaging read, would highly encourage for the CFB fans here, and would even ask some non-CFB fans to read it and see what the fuss is all about.

well it's a book about the 50 best programs so, not super surprised USCe is not in there.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pretty sure Iowa got a team in there.

Dan Rubenstein recommended it on The Solid Verbal, called it the greatest shitter book ever.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 15 May 2017, 12:29

Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:

Pretty sure Iowa got a team in there.

Dan Rubenstein recommended it on The Solid Verbal, called it the greatest shitter book ever.

The 1960 team did. The chapter called Forrest Evashevski a "real son of a bitch."
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Goose » 23 May 2017, 12:47

I got that Drew Magary Hike book from library a while back. I saw online a lot of people talking about the big twist at the end and how painful, gut-wrenching, etc. it was.

Maybe my reading comprehension is failing with age, but was the big twist
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
the fact that the wife had her own Hike experience and came back?
or did I miss something?

If that was it, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TYIA for your help.
Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 23 May 2017, 12:59

Goose wrote:I got that Drew Magary Hike book from library a while back. I saw online a lot of people talking about the big twist at the end and how painful, gut-wrenching, etc. it was.

or did I miss something?

TYIA for your help.

Yes, basically the twist was
they both had this huge life altering gut-wrenching experience and then they could never talk about it because they'd die. I don't know why you'd want to talk to your spouse though :beatsme:
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Goose » 23 May 2017, 13:15

Briandong79 wrote:
Goose wrote:I got that Drew Magary Hike book from library a while back. I saw online a lot of people talking about the big twist at the end and how painful, gut-wrenching, etc. it was.

or did I miss something?

TYIA for your help.

Yes, basically the twist was
they both had this huge life altering gut-wrenching experience and then they could never talk about it because they'd die. I don't know why you'd want to talk to your spouse though :beatsme:

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.