Books

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Books

Postby mister bacon » 16 Feb 2017, 09:56

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:There was some hipster white guy on my train today, wearing the dark rimmed glasses and mittens. not gloves, but mittens. He was reading this book called Song of Solomon.

Song of Solomon is a 1977 novel by American author Toni Morrison. It follows the life of Macon "Milkman" Dead III, an African-American man living in Michigan, from birth to adulthood.

The novel is, as all the other works of Toni Morrison, an example of African-American Literature. It usually problematizes the question of African American identity and relationships among African-Americans and between black and white individuals and communities. Thus, the main conflict of the novel is the Milkman’s search of ways of becoming independent from his family, ways of self-realization, and answer the questions who he is, how he lives and why.

Was this hipster expressing white guilt or something? Is he a poof, you think? Mittens.

I cannot imagine reading a book like this under any circumstance.

to be fair, you cannot imagine reading a book under any circumstance.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JT99 » 16 Feb 2017, 10:00

problematizes
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Feb 2017, 10:02

mister bacon wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:There was some hipster white guy on my train today, wearing the dark rimmed glasses and mittens. not gloves, but mittens. He was reading this book called Song of Solomon.

Song of Solomon is a 1977 novel by American author Toni Morrison. It follows the life of Macon "Milkman" Dead III, an African-American man living in Michigan, from birth to adulthood.

The novel is, as all the other works of Toni Morrison, an example of African-American Literature. It usually problematizes the question of African American identity and relationships among African-Americans and between black and white individuals and communities. Thus, the main conflict of the novel is the Milkman’s search of ways of becoming independent from his family, ways of self-realization, and answer the questions who he is, how he lives and why.

Was this hipster expressing white guilt or something? Is he a poof, you think? Mittens.

to be fair, you cannot imagine reading a book under any circumstance.

Seems like someone who wants to be a pseudo-intellectual.

I do have a book post:

Babylon's Ashes: Most recent book in the Expanse series. Really good per usual. Funny how much things have changed since the first book, its somewhat of a different type of book at this point but it's still an entertaining fast read.

I'm Fascinated by Sacrifice Flies: Tim Kurkijian's most recent book. I was looking for another baseball book that they didn't have, so I went with this. Lots of entertaining baseball stories. Kurkijian is obviously a huge baseball dork and his enthusiasm is pretty obvious. If you are a baseball dork, you'll like it. If you're not, you won't.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 16 Feb 2017, 10:24

I'm a big Kurkjian fan. He's a dork, he's goofy...and he knows it. And doesn't hide from it.

Ramblers--A story of the 1962-63 Loyola Ramblers, the first NCAA Champ to start four black guys. The story of them and how they came together and how a small, Jesuit commuter school in Chicago was able to get these black guys is interesting. They do try to give the story of Mississippi State (who three times passed up an NCAA Tournament bid because of a Mississippi law that outlawed any games between Mississippi schools and integrated teams) and Cincinnati (the two-time defending champs who Loyola beat in the finals) some coverage, but it gets jumbled. And the story of the final game is kinda disjointed. I'd recommend it for a basketball junkie, but it's not great.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Briandong79 » 16 Feb 2017, 10:25

JichaelDick wrote:Ramblers--A story of the 1962-63 Loyola Ramblers, the first NCAA Champ to start four black guys. The story of them and how they came together and how a small, Jesuit commuter school in Chicago was able to get these black guys is interesting. They do try to give the story of Mississippi State (who three times passed up an NCAA Tournament bid because of a Mississippi law that outlawed any games between Mississippi schools and integrated teams) and Cincinnati (the two-time defending champs who Loyola beat in the finals) some coverage, but it gets jumbled. And the story of the final game is kinda disjointed. I'd recommend it for a basketball junkie, but it's not great.

Loyola in 1963: 4 black starters! That'll never happen again.

Texas Western in 1965: Hold my drink.

(That's an internet meme that I see from time to time).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby PhillyJim76 » 16 Feb 2017, 10:31

Young White liberals are the most fucked up people on the planet
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby BigJohnStudd » 16 Feb 2017, 13:37

Probably just some queer reading the Oprah's Book Club selections.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 16 Feb 2017, 14:15

BigJohnStudd wrote:

Probably just some queer reading the Oprah's Book Club selections.

Yeah I noticed it was an Oprah selection. You prob right.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby babylurch » 06 Mar 2017, 06:26

Kudos to whoever mentioned Sleepers the other day. I got it out of the library and enjoyed it. Have some doubts about the authenticity of the story, but it is a nice revenge tale.
2013 Jason McElwaine Regional Champion
babylurch
Basketball Jesus

Postby ctz31 » 06 Mar 2017, 14:54

babylurch wrote:Kudos to whoever mentioned Sleepers the other day. I got it out of the library and enjoyed it. Have some doubts about the authenticity of the story, but it is a nice revenge tale.

You're welcome.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Rodney Farva » 07 Mar 2017, 06:08

i read the chuck noll biography.

pros: his career spanned the evolution of the nfl, so it was interesting to see how the modern game changed and developed. the author got to know him, his family and the people around him very well, including players, so it didn't feel like anything was missed. you get a strong feel for what the guy was like, not just what he did. the end is a good look at a family dealing with the decline of someone due to alzheimers. if you don't like terry bradshaw you will eat this up because he comes off very poorly here.

cons: he wasn't the greatest bio subject, for the same reasons that he seemed to be a decent person and was successful; he had a strong faith in the right way to do things and never deviated from them. he was set in terms of what kind of a person he was from a very early age, so there wasn't really any trajectory of growth or change since he was fully formed from the get go.

overall a decent read. recommend to stiller fans like tank and mister bacon, jichael will of course eat this up, JT would get a lot from it. a lot of you would be bored by it.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby JichaelDick » 07 Mar 2017, 12:23

I saw the Football Life doc based on that book, and between that and the review, it's almost certainly getting queued up.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 07 Mar 2017, 12:26

Rodney Farva wrote: if you don't like terry bradshaw you will eat this up because he comes off very poorly here.

Gregs Kite wrote:This "outrage" over President Trump not naming white supremacy reminds of the time all you people on the left were outraged that Obama never once mentioned radical Islam by name.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby JichaelDick » 07 Mar 2017, 12:29

Literally just ordered the book, but from the Football Life doc, he basically whined because Noll demanded a lot from him. The other Steelers to a man are on record saying Noll took it a lot easier on him than he probably deserved.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby mj3528 » 07 Mar 2017, 12:40

JichaelDick wrote:Literally just ordered the book, but from the Football Life doc, he basically whined because Noll demanded a lot from him. The other Steelers to a man are on record saying Noll took it a lot easier on him than he probably deserved.

Noll must have chuckled when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtcQqwpCFJ4
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.