Books

Other stuff in other stuff.

Books

Postby Tecmo Bo » 08 Dec 2004, 11:56

I can't be the only one who likes to read here, i know I'm not the only literate one. Anyone have any suggestions for good books? Bad books?

Embarassing Guilty Pleasure: Harry Potter
All Time Favorite: The Count of Monte Cristo
Best Recent book: Crime and Punishment/Angels and Demons
Worst Book Ever: Moby Dick - I like wordy books, as you might be able to tell, but this bored me to tears. I absolutely despise this book.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Turk182 » 08 Dec 2004, 12:08

Check out some Carl Hiassen, dude's got talent. 'Skinny Dip' and 'Sick Puppy' come to mind.
"Heard it on the radio, seen it on the TV."
Turk182
Vapid Slag

Postby firstborn » 08 Dec 2004, 18:21

Currently I'm reading A Short History Of Nearly Everything. Very good so far.
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby jack_daniels » 08 Dec 2004, 21:00

I like Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms was good, but out of all his books I liked The Old Man and the Sea the best. I did a novel study on it in gr. 10 and I couldn't let go of it since.

The Power of One is pretty good, has to do with apartheid, boxing...and Nazis. How could you beat that.

I want to get America the Book. Heard its pretty funny.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby MRh » 08 Dec 2004, 22:22

firstborn wrote:Currently I'm reading A Short History Of Nearly Everything. Very good so far.

A yes, a great read. Have you read any of Bryson's other stuff? He is at his best with his travel writing (Europe, Australia, America). He is very funny...sort of Dave Barryesque humor.

His History is good, although moreso for its educational value than its humor content.

His linguistics books are good, although pretty dry in places. I mean, it's a dry subject anyway, so...
"On any day I can be anyone's daddy."

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby Snake » 09 Dec 2004, 04:22

I read this book by Jonathan Safran Foer or something like that called Everything Is Illuminated that was amazing. I'm in the middle of the Poisonwood Bible right now and that kicks ass as well. Yea, I'm a reading nerd lol.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 09 Dec 2004, 08:29

Worst book of all time has to be Stepehen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage ugh that book blew ass, I read it 7 times hoping I some how missed a part that made it all right, nope it still sucks.

Don;t get a lot of time to read fiction, most of what I read is non-fiction International Relation stuff or history, but if your into that check out Stephen Ambrose, great author
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby MRh » 09 Dec 2004, 09:43

howboutafrescahmmm wrote:Worst book of all time has to be Stepehen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage ugh that book blew ass, I read it 7 times hoping I some how missed a part that made it all right, nope it still sucks.

Don;t get a lot of time to read fiction, most of what I read is non-fiction International Relation stuff or history, but if your into that check out Stephen Ambrose, great author

You read a book you didn't like seven times?? Seems like masochism to me.

Ambrose is excellent. I also read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction.

Some of my favorite historical fiction authors:

Patrick O'Brian
Colleen McCullough
Dorothy Dunnett
Bernard Cornwell

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 09 Dec 2004, 09:53

You read a book you didn't like seven times?? Seems like masochism to me.

Ambrose is excellent. I also read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction.

I just refused to believe a book could suck that bad, kinda like watching battlefield earth..

I noticed you don;t have the Shaara's on that list, they have some great historical fictions.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Dunking Donut » 09 Dec 2004, 10:43

I usually read a lot of SF or Fantasy: Robert Jordan, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, Jean Auel, etc.. I'm currently reading Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.

For sports books I've read recently: Moneyball, Patriot Reign, a book on Patriot League basketball by John Feinstein. I have, right now, A Day at Fenway.

I've read a couple of books on space this year, too. Sojourner. Origins is sitting on my desk as I type this. And Salt by Mark Kurlansky. It's about salt (how it's made, how it was used than and now, etc..).

Next year I want to read some of the classics: Dickens, Hemingway, etc.. Watership Down because I saw it on Lost the other day and I haven't read it in about 15 years.

Do comics count? 'cause I have a bunch of those. There's a about 30 manga graphic novels in my filing cabinet right now.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 09 Dec 2004, 10:45

Has anyone read Remy's How to watch baseball?? I keep meaning to pick it up, I'm worried I've been watching wrong all of these years
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby firstborn » 10 Dec 2004, 12:02

MRh? wrote:
firstborn wrote:Currently I'm reading A Short History Of Nearly Everything. Very good so far.

A yes, a great read. Have you read any of Bryson's other stuff? He is at his best with his travel writing (Europe, Australia, America). He is very funny...sort of Dave Barryesque humor.

His History is good, although moreso for its educational value than its humor content.

His linguistics books are good, although pretty dry in places. I mean, it's a dry subject anyway, so...

Actually this is the first book of his that I've read, more the subject matter that interested me. Now of course I will be looking into his other stuff.
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby Snake » 11 Dec 2004, 04:53

If you like Dave Barry-esque humor read "A Walk in the Woods" (I can't remember off hand who its by). Basically this guy with no outdoors experience decided to walk the Appalachian Trail and he wrote a book about it, its funny as hell.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby RILefty4 » 13 Dec 2004, 20:32

I read all 4 Dan Brown books within a couple of weeks... started with Angels and Demons and couldn't put them down.

If you baseball fans haven't read Jim Bouton's Ball Four, get on that. Totally different perspective on the game. It's interesting that with all the honest things he wrote, I can't remember one thing mentioned about steroids. I realize it was a while ago...

And Bringing Down the House, about the MIT guys who took on Vegas is a good read too...
RILefty4
Yankee

Postby MRh » 13 Dec 2004, 22:15

Snake wrote:If you like Dave Barry-esque humor read "A Walk in the Woods" (I can't remember off hand who its by). Basically this guy with no outdoors experience decided to walk the Appalachian Trail and he wrote a book about it, its funny as hell.

Ha

Coincidentally enough, A Walk in the Woods is by Bill Bryson, and is probably his best-known work. Very good and hilarious.

-Pedro Martinez
MRh
n00b

Next

Return to Misc.