Connecticut

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Connecticut

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Dec 2017, 08:52

TheWolf wrote:There's a Pepe's in Chestnut Hill? I did not know that.

It’s pretty new. They tried to open in Brookline but I think the restaurant that held the expiring lease on the space they wanted decided to renew last minute or something.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2017, 08:54

Frank the Tank wrote:

It’s pretty new. They tried to open in Brookline but I think the restaurant that held the expiring lease on the space they wanted decided to renew last minute or something.

Interesting. A couple of my old roommates used to work at a Bertucci's in the Chestnut Hill Mall that appears to no longer exist. I've decided, based on absolutely no evidence, that they must have turned it into a Pepe's.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Dec 2017, 09:05

TheWolf wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

Interesting. A couple of my old roommates used to work at a Bertucci's in the Chestnut Hill Mall that appears to no longer exist. I've decided, based on absolutely no evidence, that they must have turned it into a Pepe's.

Going from Bertucci’s to Pepe’s is like going from a Tuk Tuk to a Ferrari.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Magnum » 08 Dec 2017, 10:46

I'm not gonna lie, I don't hate Bertucci's.
Gregs Kite - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Why am I making a Bitches post again?
BigJohnStudd - Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm: Because you're a bitch.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2017, 11:18

Magnum wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I don't hate Bertucci's.

Yeah I got no beef with tuccis.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby TheWolf » 08 Dec 2017, 23:25

mj3528 wrote:So I traveled to Connecticut for work last week. It included a trip to sotsg favorite J Tim's where FTT, wolf, Magnum and lurch were in attendance. Here are some of my thoughts.

J Tim's did in fact have the best wings I have ever had. The meat for wings is quite good, and the sauces are yummy. However, they are really just wings. Pro-Tip. Order the off- the menu buffeque which is a mixture of original buffalo sauce and bbq. FTT knew about this.

After my work appointments on Friday I went to Pepe's for New Haven style pizza. It was very good, and I would eat again. However, it did not dethrone my personal favorite Angelo's in Lakewood. http://angeloslakewood.com/

At J tim's I had some tasty beers

It was pretty good. A little too fruity to be great. Kite, this was the first time you were mentioned as I was debating what to get someone said, this is the one Kite would think is the gooniest. Good enough for me.

I had two Sips of Sunshine, and then went with this for my 3rd.

This was pretty comparable to the Sip of Sunshine.

After pizza I went to the airport and had two more beers.

This one was the best beer I had in the two days:

We actually tried to order it at J Tim's, but they were out.

I also had this one, which was a nice lighter beer after the IPAs:

All in all, a very nice trip.

Your image is broken, but I think the one you said you liked best was Headway, from counterweight. I finally tried that tonight, and it lived up to the hype. Comparing to the others you tried on your trip, I think I still like Captains Daughter better, but this may be a step above Sip of Sunshine, IMHO.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Jan 2018, 12:45

SOTSG-famous J. Timothy’s will be featured on the Travel Channel’s “Food Paradise” this Sunday night at 8pm EST. The episode’s theme is the best chicken dishes available in the nation. Set your DVR now!

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mj3528 » 10 Jan 2018, 12:48

Frank the Tank wrote:SOTSG-famous J. Timothy’s will be featured on the Travel Channel’s “Food Paradise” this Sunday night at 8pm EST. The episode’s theme is the best chicken dishes available in the nation. Set your DVR now!

I may watch that with my ex-wife. She knows I went there with "real name for FTT" who is a guy I befriended on an insurance case years ago and his friends.

She was really confused that of all the places I could eat in a new location I went to a wing place. I told her "real name for FTT" really loves this place, and insisted I meet him there to try them.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby ctz31 » 10 Jan 2018, 12:50

mj3528 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:SOTSG-famous J. Timothy’s will be featured on the Travel Channel’s “Food Paradise” this Sunday night at 8pm EST. The episode’s theme is the best chicken dishes available in the nation. Set your DVR now!

I may watch that with my ex-wife. She knows I went there with "real name for FTT" who is a guy I befriended on an insurance case years ago and his friends.

She was really confused that of all the places I could eat in a new location I went to a wing place. I told her "real name for FTT" really loves this place, and insisted I meet him there to try them.

Odds are I will forget, but if reminded i will peruse this. It will be my first one of these food shows ever watched on the television because i'm normal.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby Frank the Tank » 10 Jan 2018, 13:02

mj3528 wrote:

They were looking for regulars to go to be in the shoot last September(?), and if I hadn’t been traveling when it happened I probably would’ve gone.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Jew Jitsu » 10 Jan 2018, 13:27

You gotta be some type of plain to order chicken at a restaurant.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby rickm3 » 10 Jan 2018, 18:56

Good to know. Per your orders I just set the DVR. I love to try places like this. I wish I lived just a little closer. I was born in Bristol and still make it up there a few times a year but its usually for Christmas or Easter or whatnot so a stop for wings doesn't make sense. For those of us that have never had them what is so good about these wings? Is it worth it if I have a free Saturday to make the drive up from Stamford? I am not sure I would tell too many people that I drove an hour and a half just for wings.

The best wings down here (supposedly) are Archie Moore's. But I haven't driven the 30 minutes to their Fairfield location for wings in a few years, not even sure they are still there. I mean, they are good and all but not that great in my opinion.
rickm3
Hope College Alum

Postby TheWolf » 10 Jan 2018, 19:02

rickm3 wrote:

Good to know. Per your orders I just set the DVR. I love to try places like this. I wish I lived just a little closer. I was born in Bristol and still make it up there a few times a year but its usually for Christmas or Easter or whatnot so a stop for wings doesn't make sense. For those of us that have never had them what is so good about these wings? Is it worth it if I have a free Saturday to make the drive up from Stamford? I am not sure I would tell too many people that I drove an hour and a half just for wings.

The best wings down here (supposedly) are Archie Moore's. But I haven't driven the 30 minutes to their Fairfield location for wings in a few years, not even sure they are still there. I mean, they are good and all but not that great in my opinion.

My standard response is that they live up to the hype IF you remember that they're still wings and don't expect the best meal of your life of anything. Best wings I've ever had, but they're still just wings.

What makes them different, and what makes them DIRT, is that they're friend, sauced, fried again, and sauced again. The second round of frying really matters, IMO. And they're good sized meaty wings, so not ONLY a sauce vehicle.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mj3528 » 10 Jan 2018, 19:09

TheWolf wrote:
rickm3 wrote:

My standard response is that they live up to the hype IF you remember that they're still wings and don't expect the best meal of your life of anything. Best wings I've ever had, but they're still just wings.

What makes them different, and what makes them DIRT, is that they're friend, sauced, fried again, and sauced again. The second round of frying really matters, IMO. And they're good sized meaty wings, so not ONLY a sauce vehicle.

wolf crystalized these thoughts for me as I finished eating the dirt wings, and they are accurate.

The quality of the meat is really the best I have had on a wing. not stringy or chewy.

the fry/sauce method really makes them taste better/different.

the sauces are very yummy. as mentioned previously in this thread asking for the buffeque, mixture of buffalo and bbq, is a very good move. easily the best sauce they have.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby TheWolf » 10 Jan 2018, 19:21

mj3528 wrote:
TheWolf wrote:
rickm3 wrote:

wolf crystalized these thoughts for me as I finished eating the dirt wings, and they are accurate.

The quality of the meat is really the best I have had on a wing. not stringy or chewy.

the fry/sauce method really makes them taste better/different.

the sauces are very yummy. as mentioned previously in this thread asking for the buffeque, mixture of buffalo and bbq, is a very good move. easily the best sauce they have.

I concur on the sauce choice, as well.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.