Connecticut

Other stuff in other stuff.

Postby ScottJergenson » 11 Nov 2005, 11:37

Of all the schools I've partied at, UConn, UVM, UNH, Quinnipiac, Yale, UMass Amherst, RWU, URI and some smaller northeastern schools Quinnipiac BY FAR had the hottest girls when I was there. There is something ridiculous like a 7:1 girl to guy ratio there. I was never dissapointed with any party I ever went to while I was there. UVM has some hot girls, unfortunatley they're all covered with about 17 layers for the majority of the school year.
ScottJergenson
Another dude worth meeting

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Nov 2005, 10:55

ScottJergenson wrote:Of all the schools I've partied at, UConn, UVM, UNH, Quinnipiac, Yale, UMass Amherst, RWU, URI and some smaller northeastern schools Quinnipiac BY FAR had the hottest girls when I was there. There is something ridiculous like a 7:1 girl to guy ratio there. I was never dissapointed with any party I ever went to while I was there. UVM has some hot girls, unfortunatley they're all covered with about 17 layers for the majority of the school year.

no one in the new haven area would consider yale the place to go for hot chicks. quinnipiac was a prime choice, as well as albertus magnus, a small catholic women's college* known as "albertus mattress" for good reason. if you like your chicks catholic, easy and dumber than a potted plan, this is definitely the place to go hunting.

* - to avoid any misunderstanding, it's not a school for catholic dwarfettes, but it has a small number of students
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby ScottJergenson » 14 Nov 2005, 11:12

Rodney Farva wrote:
ScottJergenson wrote:Of all the schools I've partied at, UConn, UVM, UNH, Quinnipiac, Yale, UMass Amherst, RWU, URI and some smaller northeastern schools Quinnipiac BY FAR had the hottest girls when I was there. There is something ridiculous like a 7:1 girl to guy ratio there. I was never dissapointed with any party I ever went to while I was there. UVM has some hot girls, unfortunatley they're all covered with about 17 layers for the majority of the school year.

no one in the new haven area would consider yale the place to go for hot chicks. quinnipiac was a prime choice, as well as albertus magnus, a small catholic women's college* known as "albertus mattress" for good reason. if you like your chicks catholic, easy and dumber than a potted plan, this is definitely the place to go hunting.

* - to avoid any misunderstanding, it's not a school for catholic dwarfettes, but it has a small number of students

I had heard that school was a pretty sweet spot, but never got there.

My advise is to never go to the New Haven area in general. That place is a fucking hole, I regret the hell out of going to that area for school for a year.
ScottJergenson

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Nov 2005, 11:16

New Haven wasn't so bad 25 years ago, but it's a good example of how far and how quickly a city can go to seed. Parts of it are coming back, but it's got a long way to go.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby ScottJergenson » 14 Nov 2005, 11:20

Frank the Tank wrote:New Haven wasn't so bad 25 years ago, but it's a good example of how far and how quickly a city can go to seed. Parts of it are coming back, but it's got a long way to go.

Yale is holding that city together. It isn't hard at all to see where Yale ends and the ghetto begins. It goes from nicely done stone buildings to porches collapsing on themselves.

My 2nd night at school there was a drive-by with automatic weapons fire that I heard from my dormroom, you'd think that would've been my cue to leave, but nope. It took me another couple months (just long enough so that I missed the cutoff to transfer for the 2nd semester) so I was stuck in that god forsaken place for a whole year.

It has been 3 1/2 years since I've been there though, so maybe they've cleaned it up, but they didn't seem to be in any sort of hurry to do so when I was there.
ScottJergenson

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Nov 2005, 11:24

ScottJergenson wrote:It has been 3 1/2 years since I've been there though, so maybe they've cleaned it up, but they didn't seem to be in any sort of hurry to do so when I was there.

I wouldn't say they've cleaned it up to any large degree. Some of the areas over near the theaters are doing better and have some nice new restaurants. That's about it. If New Haven was a dirty house, I'd say they've managed to clean the foyer pretty well over the past 3.5 years, but the rest of the house is still a disaster.

I'm still willing to risk a drive-by for Pepe's pizza though. I got some on Friday night and circled around Wooster St. for 20 minutes looking for parking.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby ScottJergenson » 14 Nov 2005, 11:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
ScottJergenson wrote:It has been 3 1/2 years since I've been there though, so maybe they've cleaned it up, but they didn't seem to be in any sort of hurry to do so when I was there.

I wouldn't say they've cleaned it up to any large degree. Some of the areas over near the theaters are doing better and have some nice new restaurants. That's about it. If New Haven was a dirty house, I'd say they've managed to clean the foyer pretty well over the past 3.5 years, but the rest of the house is still a disaster.

I'm still willing to risk a drive-by for Pepe's pizza though. I got some on Friday night and circled around Wooster St. for 20 minutes looking for parking.

Man, I haven't thought about Pepe's in a long time, that was some damn good pizza back in the day. Ever go to toad's place? I worked the door their for a bit.

Do you actually live in New Haven?
ScottJergenson

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Nov 2005, 11:32

ScottJergenson wrote:Do you actually live in New Haven?

No, but I used to live just outside it and spent a lot of time there. Now I'm outside Hartford. My mother still works in downtown NH.

I've been to Toad's a bunch of times. One of my good friend's bands used to play there occasionally, but I'm not sure your tenure there would have overlapped with his band's lifespan.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby ScottJergenson » 14 Nov 2005, 11:35

Frank the Tank wrote:
ScottJergenson wrote:Do you actually live in New Haven?

No, but I used to live just outside it and spent a lot of time there. Now I'm outside Hartford. My mother still works in downtown NH.

I've been to Toad's a bunch of times. One of my good friend's bands used to play there occasionally, but I'm not sure your tenure there would have overlapped with his band's lifespan.

I've heard that Hartford has gotten a bit better, I spent some time there most notably for 104-fest, do they still do that?

I don't remember a ton of band's from toad's they had to sound really good for me to remember them, I mostly just remember stuff that retarded drunks/stoners would do.

note: im not against retarded/drunks or stoners doing stupid and or hilarious things, just so long as there are no ramifications that come down on me.
ScottJergenson

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Nov 2005, 11:36

when i've been back to NH for reunions, it's pretty clear that parts of it have gone even farther down the shitter, but a lot of it is much nicer than it was 20 years ago. i always spent the summers there and liked it a lot. it's like any city, you need to know where to go and where not to go, it's just that the places to go are more limited than you might expect. i'd definitely live there again.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Nov 2005, 11:39

New Haven is much like major league baseball. It can be very nice if you're a "have", but it sucks if you're a "have-not". There's not a whole lot of in-between.

Radio 104 switched from an alternative format to a hip-hop format about two years ago, and Radio 104-fest has gone by the wayside as a result.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby ScottJergenson » 14 Nov 2005, 11:42

Frank the Tank wrote:New Haven is much like major league baseball. It can be very nice if you're a "have", but it sucks if you're a "have-not". There's not a whole lot of in-between.

Radio 104 switched from an alternative format to a hip-hop format about two years ago, and Radio 104-fest has gone by the wayside as a result.

Jesus that sucks, that was a pretty sweet event 25 bands for 25 bucks.

Dee Snyder radio was amusing at times as well.

After all my shitting on New Haven I will state for the record that Bridgeport is possibly the shittiest "city" I've ever seen. That place it SKETCH-Y.
ScottJergenson

Postby TheWolf » 14 Nov 2005, 11:47

New Haven is a piece of shit, that's all I really have to say about it. Hartford, however, is clearly "New England's rising star." Are they still using that shitty slogan Frank? I haven't heard it in a while, but something tells me it hasn't gone away. I've probably just learned to ignore it.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Nov 2005, 11:48

Maybe we should split this off into a New Haven thread....

UNH's student radio station was really good when I lived there, so long as you didn't mind the amateur DJs and you didn't tune in when they were running mongolian sheepherder folk songs or something. I would imagine like most universities they must have realized by now that an FM frequency is too valuable an asset to turn over to the kids and sold it or run a commercial station (like Yale did with WYBC). Any idea if it still is in business?

I saw Dr. Dirty at Toad's once. Good times!
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TheWolf » 14 Nov 2005, 11:53

Rodney Farva wrote:Maybe we should split this off into a New Haven thread....

UNH's student radio station was really good when I lived there, so long as you didn't mind the amateur DJs and you didn't tune in when they were running mongolian sheepherder folk songs or something. I would imagine like most universities they must have realized by now that an FM frequency is too valuable an asset to turn over to the kids and sold it or run a commercial station (like Yale did with WYBC). Any idea if it still is in business?

I saw Dr. Dirty at Toad's once. Good times!

I believe 88.7 FM is still a UNH station. The only reason I know this is because that's the frequency I tune to get my Sirius signal to play through my car speakers. And when the Sirius isn't turned on, I can hear something about UNH through the static.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Next

Return to Misc.