GAMBLING

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: GAMBLING

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 15 Mar 2017, 11:41

JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


I much, much, much prefer third. More cards out and if its a tricky situation I'll just toss up "what do you want me to do guys?"
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 12441
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: GAMBLING

Postby mj3528 » 15 Mar 2017, 11:44

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


I much, much, much prefer third. More cards out and if its a tricky situation I'll just toss up "what do you want me to do guys?"


I like first and third for the reasons UEM states. I have had my best runs ever that I can think of at first base, one at the Cosmopolitan and one at The Cromwell, so I have been sitting there more often recently. I feel weird when I am in one of the middle seats. I will try those if I had some bad runs at 1st or 3rd.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
mj3528
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8927
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 18:41

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 Mar 2017, 11:45

JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


I'll sit anywhere, but I like to be at the ends of the craps table so that I have the full table to use when shooting.

Once I was at the end of a craps table and a wild dice throw had one of the cubes bounce off me and land on the table as a seven at an inopportune time. Now I'm like Neo in the first Matrix if one of those things comes near me. I'll do whatever it takes to avoid being hit.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31411
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: GAMBLING

Postby CourtesyFlush » 15 Mar 2017, 11:54

mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


I much, much, much prefer third. More cards out and if its a tricky situation I'll just toss up "what do you want me to do guys?"


I like first and third for the reasons UEM states. I have had my best runs ever that I can think of at first base, one at the Cosmopolitan and one at The Cromwell, so I have been sitting there more often recently. I feel weird when I am in one of the middle seats. I will try those if I had some bad runs at 1st or 3rd.

I think my best run was in the middle of the table, but prefer to sit 3rd for the reason MTM listed. There's a lot of pressure on that guy at 1st to get things off to a good start.

And 3rd is also good to get away from the inevitable smokers sitting on either side of me if I'm stuck in the middle. /stealerswheel
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 14239
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: GAMBLING

Postby SouthernYokel » 15 Mar 2017, 13:12

i do not like to be on the left for blackjack. too much pressure. i'll be first to act though, that does not bother me as much.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29298
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: GAMBLING

Postby chrisco » 15 Mar 2017, 13:23

CourtesyFlush wrote:
mj3528 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


I much, much, much prefer third. More cards out and if its a tricky situation I'll just toss up "what do you want me to do guys?"


I like first and third for the reasons UEM states. I have had my best runs ever that I can think of at first base, one at the Cosmopolitan and one at The Cromwell, so I have been sitting there more often recently. I feel weird when I am in one of the middle seats. I will try those if I had some bad runs at 1st or 3rd.

I think my best run was in the middle of the table, but prefer to sit 3rd for the reason MTM listed. There's a lot of pressure on that guy at 1st to get things off to a good start.

And 3rd is also good to get away from the inevitable smokers sitting on either side of me if I'm stuck in the middle. /stealerswheel


I like sitting at third for what those guys say, especially if you are comfortable playing by the book. A table gets really bent out of shape with someone who is all over the place at third, and it kills the mood. I'd rather lose $10 doing what I am statistically supposed to and keep everyone happy than playing a feeling.

Also its the most comfy and the waitress usually starts at first so you end up not missing her because you needed to pay attention to your hand or something.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 11773
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: GAMBLING

Postby rickm3 » 15 Mar 2017, 17:00

JT99 wrote:Spurred by the blackjack talk in the GAY thread, I wish to propose a question...

Do you guys have favorite seats/spots at tables?

In general, I prefer to be at first or third so that I can avoid the foot traffic behind me and so that I can snuggle up better with the dealers and bosses.

Kinda the same at craps. I like to be next to the dealer on the open side.

Not superstitious about any of it though.


For Blackjack I prefer 3rd base but don't really care. I also prefer empty tables or tables with only a few other people. Yes, I know this is stupid and works against you from a rating perspective.

Craps, i prefer the ends but again don't really care. Here I will only play if the table it pretty crowded, I hate playing craps with only a few other players.
rickm3
Grantland Editor
 
Posts: 143
Joined: 13 May 2006, 14:58

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Mar 2017, 09:20

Played four hours of Pot Limit Omaha last night in a wild fucking game. The swings were off the charts. Definitely felt like it had the potential to be a much higher EV game than the usual 2/5 NLHE game in Vegas, but that the variance would be very tough to manage from a bankroll perspective. On the one hand, I kind of like playing this game only infrequently because it's fun and you can't lose too much if you don't play that often. On the other hand, I feel like I'd need to practice the shit out of this game to do well in it. I don't think it's spread much in CT anymore.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31411
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 08 Jul 2017, 22:07

On a serious heater in July. Through the first 8 days, I'm up $6955.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18170
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jul 2017, 22:04

Finished the month up $10850. If only every month would be that good, I'd quit my job.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18170
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Jew Jitsu » 30 Jul 2017, 22:36

Congrats man. That's impressive. Are you socking that money away for something or just putting it in the general fund.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
User avatar
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten
 
Posts: 8637
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 15:12
Location: Sunset Blvd., North Pole

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jul 2017, 22:50

Right now, I'm just building my bankroll. It's currently around $62K. Once the balance gets over $75K, after taxes, I'm going to start funneling a portion of each year's profits to paying down my mortgage.

Eventually I'm going to quit working altogether. But I'd need to be rid of my mortgage to do so b/c my health insurance would go way up if I don't have employer insurance.

STL really isn't a great poker market to try and play for a living. But I can't really move b/c I need to stick around and handle end-of-life stuff for my mom when that time comes.

Whenever I do decide to play for a living is want at least a $100K bankroll, preferably $150K.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18170
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Frank the Tank » 31 Jul 2017, 08:39

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Right now, I'm just building my bankroll. It's currently around $62K. Once the balance gets over $75K, after taxes, I'm going to start funneling a portion of each year's profits to paying down my mortgage.

Eventually I'm going to quit working altogether. But I'd need to be rid of my mortgage to do so b/c my health insurance would go way up if I don't have employer insurance.

STL really isn't a great poker market to try and play for a living. But I can't really move b/c I need to stick around and handle end-of-life stuff for my mom when that time comes.

Whenever I do decide to play for a living is want at least a $100K bankroll, preferably $150K.


Not "if"?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31411
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 31 Jul 2017, 09:00

If I' get to the point where I have a paid off house and $500K or so in investments, and I'm sure I can make enough each year to cover my expenses, why not? I think I can get to that stage in 5 years or so.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18170
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: GAMBLING

Postby Frank the Tank » 31 Jul 2017, 09:06

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:If I' get to the point where I have a paid off house and $500K or so in investments, and I'm sure I can make enough each year to cover my expenses, why not? I think I can get to that stage in 5 years or so.


I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of it. You've got a great, disciplined approach that suits the profession well. I was just curious if it was 100% going to happen or still kind of an aspirational goal.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31411
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron