Ogie's Cultural Pow-wow (aka Ogie's Racist Calvacade o' Fun)

Other stuff in other stuff.

Re: Ogie's Cultural Pow-wow (aka Ogie's Racist Calvacade o'

Postby mister bacon » 14 Nov 2017, 12:23

here is a great deep dive into the guy who founded the daily stormer. a lot of y'all laugh off "sjw" concerns about language and boundaries on social media. I think this article is a great example of why 79 takes these things very seriously. the racial trolling you get irl adds up to the Charlottesville march and murder of Heather Heyer. great article. if I'm keeping it a buck I've noticed the intentional expansion here if you track the post here on sotsg. hot taek? are we a bellweather?

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... zi/544119/
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Nov 2017, 13:07

poland says "hey." poland says "sup?"
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 14 Nov 2017, 13:23

mister bacon wrote:great article. if I'm keeping it a buck I've noticed the intentional expansion here if you track the post here on sotsg. hot taek? are we a bellweather?

who do you consider nazis on here?
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby BigJohnStudd » 14 Nov 2017, 16:32

Dr Jeckyll wrote:
mister bacon wrote:great article. if I'm keeping it a buck I've noticed the intentional expansion here if you track the post here on sotsg. hot taek? are we a bellweather?

who do you consider nazis on here?

Followup question: is it okay to be white?
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby nerf66 » 14 Nov 2017, 16:36

mister bacon wrote:here is a great deep dive into the guy who founded the daily stormer. a lot of y'all laugh off "sjw" concerns about language and boundaries on social media. I think this article is a great example of why 79 takes these things very seriously. the racial trolling you get irl adds up to the Charlottesville march and murder of Heather Heyer. great article. if I'm keeping it a buck I've noticed the intentional expansion here if you track the post here on sotsg. hot taek? are we a bellweather?

I must be really naive because I don't think there are a lot of people in the United States who would agree with anything the dude who owns the daily stormer does or says. Way closer to 0% than 0.01% of the population.

In addition, I don't think there is anyone on this board who would agree with any of that Daily Stormer shit.
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
PJ doesn't really want that haircut, right?

I agree this kind of thing should be taken very seriously. It's not SJW level. SJW stuff is ridiculous little things that bubble wrap feelings. The issue I have is the constant fawning over these lunatic characters in the media, providing a mainstream platform that LITERALLY gives these racists, their ideas, and their followers, credibility. I would argue that you posting this article does far more harm than good.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:42 am: my disdain for 66 stems from posters saying how great a poster he was. I never saw it. He has never made an interesting post or comment, imo.
nerf66
Yellow Jacket

Postby TheWolf » 14 Nov 2017, 16:39

mister bacon wrote:here is a great deep dive into the guy who founded the daily stormer. a lot of y'all laugh off "sjw" concerns about language and boundaries on social media. I think this article is a great example of why 79 takes these things very seriously. the racial trolling you get irl adds up to the Charlottesville march and murder of Heather Heyer. great article. if I'm keeping it a buck I've noticed the intentional expansion here if you track the post here on sotsg. hot taek? are we a bellweather?

I've read what feels like about 57,000 words so far in this piece. I agree that it's very interesting. It sucks that people like this exist, but it's a very interesting look into the dude's life and it's really well-written. I haven't gotten to the part where it explains how 31 calling Tyrod Taylor a "useless nog" in a chatroom means he's going to be opening a concentration camp in 6 months.

I also agree with every word of what Nerf just said.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 14 Nov 2017, 16:44

TheWolf wrote:I also agree with every word of what Nerf just said.

i do too, except the last sentence. anything posted here is a drop in the bucket, so i don't think bacon posting the link really causes any harm. but definitely agree with the overall post (unsurprisingly i know).
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby chrisco » 14 Nov 2017, 17:01

Wired dropped one of these stories today as well, only without the racist angle. This was a simple gaming guild love affair gone wrong:

https://www.wired.com/story/how-one-wom ... ainst-her/

The commonality is that the law has not kept up with the times, and horrible things can happen to people because of that.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Gregs Kite » 14 Nov 2017, 17:46

Nerf nailed it. This was bacon trying, once again, to call certain posters here racist, which is always hysterical.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby ctz31 » 14 Nov 2017, 17:48

Gregs Kite wrote:Nerf nailed it. This was bacon trying, once again, to call certain posters here racist, which is always hysterical.

ctz31
#nnf

Postby TheWolf » 14 Nov 2017, 18:06

Gregs Kite wrote:Nerf nailed it. This was bacon trying, once again, to call certain posters here racist, which is always hysterical.

He could have just linked to an intereating article with no commentary, but he couldn't resist the urge to say "Is Gregs Kite gonna turn into this guy if I keep telling people he's racist?"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby JichaelDick » 14 Nov 2017, 18:08

TheWolf wrote:

He could have just linked to an intereating article with no commentary, but he couldn't resist the urge to say "Is Gregs Kite gonna turn into this guy if I keep telling people he's racist?"

Get a room already! :wink:
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby ctz31 » 14 Nov 2017, 18:11

JichaelDick wrote:
TheWolf wrote:

And don't forget your hoods!
ctz31
#nnf

Postby TheWolf » 14 Nov 2017, 18:52

ctz31 wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:
TheWolf wrote:

And don't forget your hoods!

LOL. It's funny cause we are in the KKK.
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Dthefritz » 14 Nov 2017, 19:03

nerf66 wrote:

I must be really naive because I don't think there are a lot of people in the United States who would agree with anything the dude who owns the daily stormer does or says. Way closer to 0% than 0.01% of the population.

I don't think you're naive or anything, but I don't find it hard at all to believe that 0.01% of the population is part of some Neo-Nazi fringe. I know it's not a perfect litmus test, but I think about 2% of Americans believe the Holocaust is fake. Given what you would have to believe to think that, is it really such a stretch that one out of every 200 of those people would be in line with the Daily Stormer view of things? I'm not saying you can take this math to the bank, I'm just saying it's not outside of the realm of possibility. Personally, I know only two people like this, but I'm kind of surprised that I know any, TBH.

In addition, I don't think there is anyone on this board who would agree with any of that Daily Stormer shit.
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
PJ doesn't really want that haircut, right?

Highly doubtful, of course. But if you believe that the current American system is some elaborate, infernal machine bent on destroying white people, a note are friend Greg loves to hit much to the delight of his admirers, you are inching closer to that territory than you might like to admit.

I agree this kind of thing should be taken very seriously. It's not SJW level. SJW stuff is ridiculous little things that bubble wrap feelings. The issue I have is the constant fawning over these lunatic characters in the media, providing a mainstream platform that LITERALLY gives these racists, their ideas, and their followers, credibility. I would argue that you posting this article does far more harm than good.

While I respect that point of view, I think we need understand the difficulty this poses for journalism. Ignore the lunatics, and you might be short-circuiting a public outcry necessary to stop them. But give them a platform, and they might seem legitimized. In the case of the alt-right, I concede that the media has probably gone too far in the opposite direction.

But having no such responsibility myself, I am happy to give Pats Superfan Richard Spencer a platform on SOTSG to pontificate on Tom Brady's pure Nordic breeding.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

PreviousNext

Return to Misc.