Best Commercial on TV

Best Commercial on TV

Postby Snake » 14 Mar 2005, 03:51

Just to lighten the mood and give equal time, what commercials have you seen that you really enjoyed? I've seen many a great commercial over the years (hard to avoid doing that if you watch as much TV as I have), my personal favorite commercial though was a Ford Truck commercial where theyre showing this big scuffy guy out in the desert putting up a barbed wire fence while the narrator says the following:

"Did you ever see the movie You've Got Mail? It's this romantic love story where Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan fall in love emailing eachother. Then when they finally meet there is this big romantic kiss. Do you remember that? Did you see that one? This guy didn't."
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Mar 2005, 08:15

Funny you bring this up. I've loved many commercials over the years, but I'm at an absolute loss to think of one right now. I guess the good ones are enjoyable for a while, but the bad ones suck forever. (at least for me)
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby jack_daniels » 14 Mar 2005, 10:11

Those Intel ones are good. Very well written.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby mister bacon » 14 Mar 2005, 17:10

My favorite commercials..

"Grandmama" featuring Larry Johnson (Converse)
The MJ-Spike Lee "Mars Blackman" series. (Nike)
"Little Penny" (Chris Rock) and Penny Hardaway (Nike)
Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" (Nike)
Keith Jackson "History of Gatorade" series. (Gatorade)
Jack In the Box "I soaked up Philly like a sponge.." (Jack)
Jordan and Larry "Lets shoot for it.." (McDonalds)
Tom Emansky School of Baseball Instruction (featuring Fred McGriff} (Tom Emansky)

I'll continue to think about this.. but these are the first few off the top of my head.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Magnum » 14 Mar 2005, 17:13

TERRY TATE!
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby JohnnyDamon » 14 Mar 2005, 17:29

God, how could I forget the Terry Tate commercials. Those were freaking awesome.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Magnum » 14 Mar 2005, 17:43

I was also a big fan of that Finishline commercial where the guy was running and some dude with a stereo blasting "Eye of the Tiger" was running next to him. and then the running guy pushed him down. classic.
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby JohnnyDamon » 14 Mar 2005, 17:46

speaking of "Eye of the Tiger," what about the Starbucks commercials....

"Glen, Glen, Glen, Glen." or "Roy...Roy, Roy, Roy."
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Magnum » 14 Mar 2005, 18:03

that one is also a favorite of mine. yeah for survivor!
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby jack_daniels » 14 Mar 2005, 18:38

What about those Adidias commercials with Ali and his daughter fighting? Those were fuckin awesome.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Beer Goggles » 14 Mar 2005, 18:53

1. Young MJ vs. Old MJ in a one and one matchup....and then EVEN younger MJ (garbed in an N.C. uniform) comes in at the end asking to play.

This reminds me...did we forget the WNBA "Who's got next?" in the other thread?

Beer Goggles
Rocky Balboa

Postby randy savage » 15 Mar 2005, 01:57

This isn't about a commercial. Did anyone besides me see a show on MTV2 called "Wonder Showzen?" It is some totally fucked up, bizarre dark sketch comedy that is, from what I saw, absolutely hilarious. I firmly believe this show will blow up in the coming weeks, and I'm gonna keep an eye on it. Try to check it out if you can, only problem is it is amazingly offensive, so don't watch it if you don't like that kind of stuff.
randy savage
Grantland Editor

Postby TheWolf » 15 Mar 2005, 12:19

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that MTV2 show. Amazingly offensive comedy is generally the best kind.

I have to agree with Frank on this topic; great commercials don't seem to stay in memory as long as terrible ones. I think my favorite of all time is probably Jordan vs. Bird "Let's shoot for it." But that's just the first one that comes to mind. I also really loved the one from the Super Bowl about 4-5 years ago (I think it was for E-Trade or something) when they just showed like a monkey, a midget, and an old guy sitting on a porch and then said, "We just wasted a million dollars."
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby mister bacon » 15 Mar 2005, 15:34

TheWolf wrote:I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that MTV2 show. Amazingly offensive comedy is generally the best kind.

I have to agree with Frank on this topic; great commercials don't seem to stay in memory as long as terrible ones. I think my favorite of all time is probably Jordan vs. Bird "Let's shoot for it." But that's just the first one that comes to mind. I also really loved the one from the Super Bowl about 4-5 years ago (I think it was for E-Trade or something) when they just showed like a monkey, a midget, and an old guy sitting on a porch and then said, "We just wasted a million dollars."

After making my list, I realized that we basically lived through the golden age of the Shoe Commercial era. The commercials we saw when we were younger featured most of the best players of all time and are absolutely awesome when you see them again on TV.

The only modern commercial that gives me goosebumbs (and remember I work in this industry which is why this excites me) nowadays are those Keith Jackson gatorade commecials when he talks about how Gatorade came to become so popular. Just hearing his voice talk in terms of sports history get my blood going.

We are blessed in the west to have Keith and Dan Fouts cover the Pac-10 every week, he is a treasure. He was phenomenal calling the Ohio State - Miami National Championship game.

I know that was off topic, but what are you going to do about it.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby JohnnyDamon » 15 Mar 2005, 15:45

Keith Jackson's Gatorade commercials were classic...Keith Jackson is now and always will be the greatest commentator ever, and I will not argue about this.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Next

Return to TV