American Gods

Re: American Gods

Postby SouthernYokel » 30 May 2017, 12:36

The world tree is ever-present in the book.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 30558
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 30 May 2017, 12:39

SouthernYokel wrote:The world tree is ever-present in the book.


Yeah, the World Tree attacking everyone in the police station doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I've seen some speculation that it is:
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Mr Wood, who is one of Mr. World's men in the book, but he wasn't a giant murderous tree
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby SouthernYokel » 30 May 2017, 12:43

Briandong79 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:The world tree is ever-present in the book.


Yeah, the World Tree attacking everyone in the police station doesn't make a lot of sense though.

I've seen some speculation that it is:
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Mr Wood, who is one of Mr. World's men in the book, but he wasn't a giant murderous tree


oh, yeah that does not make sense. i haven't watched any of the show yet, i just assumed it must have been the world tree. butting out now
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 30558
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 05 Jun 2017, 08:51

Solid episode, like the road trip gang, of course Laura is into anal.

First mention of Wisconsin I think. I know where they're going!

The Vulcan stuff didn't play super well. Good concept, Roger Dorn was solid as him, but it was a little meh to me.

I listen to a recap pod and they were confused by the tree last episode as well, so it's not just us (me).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 06 Jun 2017, 09:24

Briandong79 wrote:of course Laura is into anal.


And god bless her.

First mention of Wisconsin I think. I know where they're going!


Go on....

The Vulcan stuff didn't play super well. Good concept, Roger Dorn was solid as him, but it was a little meh to me.


THAT WAS DORN!? I knew it was someone, couldn't place it. Nice job, makeup people.

Solid decapitation sequence.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Jun 2017, 09:26

The first "major" scene of the novel takes place

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
at the House on the Rock in Wisconsin


I'm guessing that's where Season 1 ends.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 12 Jun 2017, 10:56

House on the Rock confirmed.

Not much happened this episode. Didn't we basically know the whole story of the leprechaun?

In any case, still enjoyable because both actors are entertaining to watch.

ETA: I guess the reveal that Sweeney was somehow involved in Laura's death was interesting and important.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 13 Jun 2017, 09:21

So the leprechaun killed Laura? Ok.

Emily Browning's irish accent was adorable.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 13 Jun 2017, 09:24

MisterTambourineMan wrote:So the leprechaun killed Laura? Ok.

Emily Browning's irish accent was adorable.


I enjoyed getting to see her breasts without a giant vivisection scar in this episode.

ETA: When she got ripped open after the accident and quickly turned away and zipped up her hoodie was a nice character moment, that was well done.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 19 Jun 2017, 08:44

So Easter just up and took away the Spring. Huh. Guess that was a pretty powerful sacrifice.

I enjoyed all the Jesuses.

First season MVP: Laura Moon Runners up: Mr Wednesday and Mad Sweeney

They really didn't go far into the book. Even accounting for a lot of the stuff on the show not happening in the book (i.e., basically the past 3 episodes), they're only about 1/3 in, if that. There is a very long meandering side detour that I'll be curious whether the show actually follows, though.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Jun 2017, 08:03

Briandong79 wrote:So Easter just up and took away the Spring. Huh. Guess that was a pretty powerful sacrifice.

I enjoyed all the Jesuses.

First season MVP: Laura Moon Runners up: Mr Wednesday and Mad Sweeney

They really didn't go far into the book. Even accounting for a lot of the stuff on the show not happening in the book (i.e., basically the past 3 episodes), they're only about 1/3 in, if that. There is a very long meandering side detour that I'll be curious whether the show actually follows, though.


Good calls on the MVPs.

Solid reveal of Odin. Gargoyles did it first but ok.

What's the deal with Wisconsin? And with the vagina eating lady too, why is she such a big deal?
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: American Gods

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Jun 2017, 08:33

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:So Easter just up and took away the Spring. Huh. Guess that was a pretty powerful sacrifice.

I enjoyed all the Jesuses.

First season MVP: Laura Moon Runners up: Mr Wednesday and Mad Sweeney

They really didn't go far into the book. Even accounting for a lot of the stuff on the show not happening in the book (i.e., basically the past 3 episodes), they're only about 1/3 in, if that. There is a very long meandering side detour that I'll be curious whether the show actually follows, though.


Good calls on the MVPs.

Solid reveal of Odin. Gargoyles did it first but ok.

What's the deal with Wisconsin? And with the vagina eating lady too, why is she such a big deal?


The House on the Rock is where Odin has chosen as the meeting point of the Old Gods. There's a rationale behind it, and I'll spoiler it even though it's not really a big deal

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Basically random roadside attractions are the equivalent of temples in America


There's another location that is extremely important to the end of the story that is equally random.

No idea on what they are angling for on Bilquis. In the book, she's just happily sucking people into her vagina but she's separate from the main story. She does briefly interact with Technical Boy but it's significantly different than what we just saw.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31625
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: American Gods

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 21 Jun 2017, 09:20

Briandong79 wrote:
Basically random roadside attractions are the equivalent of temples in America


Yeah I could see that, the Paul Bunyan statue in Brainerd is basically religious grounds.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: American Gods

Postby BigJohnStudd » 26 Jun 2017, 23:13

MisterTambourineMan wrote:So the leprechaun killed Laura? Ok.


I think you might have flipped over to Twin Peaks by mistake.
User avatar
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit
 
Posts: 4115
Joined: 08 Oct 2009, 00:01

Re: American Gods

Postby Frank the Tank » 29 Nov 2017, 18:25

This can’t be good. How long will this delay next season?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 32020
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Previous

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron