Better Call Saul

Re: Better Call Saul

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Apr 2016, 13:09

i thought the level to which chuck figured it out was kind of silly.

kim was great in this one.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Apr 2016, 13:13

Rodney Farva wrote:i thought the level to which chuck figured it out was kind of silly.

kim was great in this one.

Kim is Season MVP. For a spinoff a show that had...less than...stellar...female characters, she's awesome.

Agreed on Chuck figuring out the whole detail was a bit absurd. Seems like Jimmy had the opportunity, the motive, and is the type to do something really shady was enough.

For the record, the fall eventually killing Chuck is obviously the more likely scenario, given that he is one of the primary characters who doesn't appear to still exist in the Breaking Bad universe (though he obviously could, it's not like we are following Saul around).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Frank the Tank » 14 Apr 2016, 14:07

Briandong79 wrote:Agreed on Chuck figuring out the whole detail was a bit absurd. Seems like Jimmy had the opportunity, the motive, and is the type to do something really shady was enough.

I'm gonna go contrarian here and say it's perfect. He admitted he had no proof, but the combination of his ego and his distrust of Jimmy couldn't lead him to any other conclusion. It seemed to fit well with him having convinced himself that he can be a shitbag to Jimmy in the legal world, but still expect him to be there for him otherwise. It also showed he was willing to damn near kill himself (maybe actually killed himself) just to go so far as to prove he didn't transpose two digits. I thought it was perfect.

Kim's non-acknowledgement/acknowledgement of the situation was also perfect. This show is too damn good.

So, are we going to see in the finale how Mike put Hector in that wheelchair? I would like that.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Apr 2016, 15:47

Frank the Tank wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:Agreed on Chuck figuring out the whole detail was a bit absurd. Seems like Jimmy had the opportunity, the motive, and is the type to do something really shady was enough.

I'm gonna go contrarian here and say it's perfect. He admitted he had no proof, but the combination of his ego and his distrust of Jimmy couldn't lead him to any other conclusion. It seemed to fit well with him having convinced himself that he can be a shitbag to Jimmy in the legal world, but still expect him to be there for him otherwise. It also showed he was willing to damn near kill himself (maybe actually killed himself) just to go so far as to prove he didn't transpose two digits. I thought it was perfect.

Kim's non-acknowledgement/acknowledgement of the situation was also perfect. This show is too damn good.

So, are we going to see in the finale how Mike put Hector in that wheelchair? I would like that.

I meant more that they had him figure out details like hiding outside and then sneaking in and switching the exhibits, etc. They didn't have to make him diagram the plan exactly.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 14 Apr 2016, 22:41

Briandong79 wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:

I meant more that they had him figure out details like hiding outside and then sneaking in and switching the exhibits, etc. They didn't have to make him diagram the plan exactly.

xacto-knifely.

i think gus frings has to be introduced to the festivities before we put hector in that wheel chair (ding ding ding!). it would be great for him to pop up now.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Apr 2016, 15:33

Rodney Farva wrote:i think gus frings has to be introduced to the festivities before we put hector in that wheel chair (ding ding ding!). it would be great for him to pop up now.

Definitely no confirmation but an interesting theory out there, backed up by some previous Breaking Bad tricks:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Episode names this season
Switch
Cobbler
Amarillo
Gloves Off
Rebecca
Bali Ha’i
Inflatable
Fifi
Nailed
Klick

Spells out scagrbifnk which is an anagram of "Frings Back". They did something similar in foreshadowing the plane crash via episode titles during Breaking Bad. Definitely a stretch, but plausible.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Apr 2016, 17:28

Briandong79 wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i think gus frings has to be introduced to the festivities before we put hector in that wheel chair (ding ding ding!). it would be great for him to pop up now.

Definitely no confirmation but an interesting theory out there, backed up by some previous Breaking Bad tricks:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Episode names this season
Switch
Cobbler
Amarillo
Gloves Off
Rebecca
Bali Ha’i
Inflatable
Fifi
Nailed
Klick

Spells out scagrbifnk which is an anagram of "Frings Back". They did something similar in foreshadowing the plane crash via episode titles during Breaking Bad. Definitely a stretch, but plausible.

I know I'm in the slim minority here, but I'm not really psyched to see all the old BB characters, even the undeniably awesome ones like Gus. Hector is one thing because we're seeing a totally different phase of his existence, but Tuco was just rehashing his character pointlessly, and I expect gus would be doing the same.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Apr 2016, 20:57

I don't think they need to be shoehorned in (the spouses, Walt, etc) but both the DEA guys and Gus make perfect logical sense for the story.

Also if Tuco doesn't get sent to prison, then he may not have been around for Breaking Bad.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dthefritz » 18 Apr 2016, 21:15

Briandong79 wrote:I don't think they need to be shoehorned in (the spouses, Walt, etc) but both the DEA guys and Gus make perfect logical sense for the story.

Also if Tuco doesn't get sent to prison, then he may not have been around for Breaking Bad.

Of course Gus makes logical sense in this story, but I don't know if I want to learn any more about him. They gave him just enough backstory to make his character understandable, but never too much to take away the elusive and mysterious edge to him. I trust Gilligan and co. not to ruin the character by any stretch, I feel why mess with a good thing.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Apr 2016, 00:51

i think the gaps from the BB flashbacks to gus's early days in mexico (including hector), to hector being the BSD for the cartel north of the border, to gus being in charge while hector is mute and simmering in the chair (and mike is the cartel's fixer) leave a lot of room to be filled with frings hijinx, without ruining the characters.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby ctz31 » 19 Apr 2016, 11:25

Meh ass finale. Who do we think left that note on Mike's car? Something with Gus? I'm over the chuck storyline.
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby Frank the Tank » 19 Apr 2016, 12:06

ctz31 wrote:Meh ass finale. Who do we think left that note on Mike's car? Something with Gus? I'm over the chuck storyline.

Agreed. Great season but mildly disappointing finale. It was extremely obvious Jimmy was being set up at the end there. Only question was if a recording device or a hidden witness was involved.

Gotta be Fring or a member of Fring's crew that left the note, right?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 19 Apr 2016, 12:15

Frank the Tank wrote:
ctz31 wrote:Meh ass finale. Who do we think left that note on Mike's car? Something with Gus? I'm over the chuck storyline.

Agreed. Great season but mildly disappointing finale. It was extremely obvious Jimmy was being set up at the end there. Only question was if a recording device or a hidden witness was involved.

Gotta be Fring or a member of Fring's crew that left the note, right?

Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 19 Apr 2016, 13:16

i don't think his handwriting is that neat, if i remember correctly from the walt whitman book. plus he would stand there and stammer. looks like a frings move to me.

was hoping toward the end of the episode that chuck would off himself. no such luck. "i rat fucked you" was a great line, doe.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 08 May 2016, 09:55

Just finished S1. My favorite scene in the season was when Mike is in the parking garage with the two other guys about the protection job. The one guy giving Mike shit about not having a gun was Trevor from GTA V.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

PreviousNext

Return to TV