The Leftovers

The Leftovers

Postby mister bacon » 03 Jul 2014, 10:21

so... anyone else watching the Leftovers? i read the book and i peeped the pilot yesterday. it was pretty good! i'm curious how they are going to convey the beliefs and thoughts of the guilty remnants without them speaking. so fair they've done an okay job with it, but there's some stuff that they're going to have to do with internal monologues or something.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Re: Rank HBO shows

Postby Briandong79 » 03 Jul 2014, 10:47

mister bacon wrote:so... anyone else watching the Leftovers? i read the book and i peeped the pilot yesterday. it was pretty good! i'm curious how they are going to convey the beliefs and thoughts of the guilty remnants without them speaking. so fair they've done an okay job with it, but there's some stuff that they're going to have to do with internal monologues or something.

Well, in the book:
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
When they're together, the main lady and her friend speak quite freely, so that should lessen the difficulty a bit.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby God Shamgod » 03 Jul 2014, 10:48

That looked like a hell of a high school party. Gotta get that iphone app.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby Theny » 03 Jul 2014, 11:00

Briandong79 wrote:
mister bacon wrote:so... anyone else watching the Leftovers? i read the book and i peeped the pilot yesterday. it was pretty good! i'm curious how they are going to convey the beliefs and thoughts of the guilty remnants without them speaking. so fair they've done an okay job with it, but there's some stuff that they're going to have to do with internal monologues or something.

Well, in the book:
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
When they're together, the main lady and her friend speak quite freely, so that should lessen the difficulty a bit.

Two posts in and we're already spoilering things. Grrrr.

Twas a confusing pilot ep, but I'm in.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Theny » 31 Jul 2014, 20:26

So in the book.....we eventually find out what the guilty remnant's "deal" is, right? 5 eps in and I still don't know what they're doing really. Frustrating show. The cig smoking is just bizarre.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Briandong79 » 31 Jul 2014, 20:47

Theny wrote:So in the book.....we eventually find out what the guilty remnant's "deal" is, right? 5 eps in and I still don't know what they're doing really. Frustrating show. The cig smoking is just bizarre.

The book is very light on answers to any of the questions.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Theny » 31 Jul 2014, 21:00

Briandong79 wrote:
Theny wrote:So in the book.....we eventually find out what the guilty remnant's "deal" is, right? 5 eps in and I still don't know what they're doing really. Frustrating show. The cig smoking is just bizarre.

I gotta say...this book sounds awful.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 01 Aug 2014, 08:22

Theny wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:

I gotta say...this book sounds awful.

it's a lot like "The Road" insofar as focusing on a character or characters' relationship rather than the amazing shit going on around them. I would have loved details on what caused the apocalypse in The Road and what the Guilty Remnant's leadership was really trying to do in Leftovers. The book sort of gives you an idea of the remnant's deal but it is frustratingly unclear and is one of those "reader's choice" things.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Jew Jitsu » 06 Aug 2014, 11:41

Watched the first two episodes last night. Looks like some lost shit where it will be impossible to come up with answers to all these mysteries.
ctz31 - Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm: Also blood people told me no alcohol for 24 hours. I made it 1.5.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby God Shamgod » 06 Aug 2014, 12:07

Would like to get weird with Nora Durst.

Can we spin this into a thread?
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Re: The Leftovers

Postby God Shamgod » 27 Oct 2015, 20:47

Anyone on season 2...let's get weird.

Was that a merkin?
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 28 Oct 2015, 08:54

God Shamgod wrote:Anyone on season 2...let's get weird.

Was that a merkin?

Without too spoilering, how does it get weird?

Need a new show to pass the time between work and sweet, sweet death. Might jump in.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby God Shamgod » 28 Oct 2015, 10:14

Seriously watch the first scene of episode 1 this season.

I like the direction they went with this season as I was wondering how they would do a second season.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby Theny » 28 Oct 2015, 11:39

God Shamgod wrote:Seriously watch the first scene of episode 1 this season.

I like the direction they went with this season as I was wondering how they would do a second season.

I'm gonna get caught up this week. Get ready for some hot takes.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby TheCEO » 12 Nov 2015, 00:34

I powered through season 1 because the premise seemed interesting but it never really seemed to work for me. It was, therefore, with great skepticism that I gave season 2 a shot. I have been pleasantly surprised and enjoying it quite a lot. Probably #2 behind Fargo (way, way behind) of shows currently airing for me. Kind of like Lost in that the underlying mystery of it all is more intriguing than the specific story lines but somehow it's really working. And the music. The music is good. And the ladies. The ladies are pleasing to my eyes. And Eddie Winslow! And the preacher's story. And did I mention the ladies?

So if you gave up on season 1, I'd encourage you to still give season 2 a shot. Basically an entirely different show... and quite good.

Damaged but spunky female interest.

Apparently Andie MacDowell's daughter, and no longer permanently morose.
TheCEO
Vapid Slag

Next

Return to TV