Netflix (& Chill)

Re: Netflix (& Chill)

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 10:55

GLOW Trailer:

i'm in.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Briandong79 » 15 May 2017, 10:57

Looks pretty good. Looks very much like they cribbed the OITNB formula and put female empowerment in another unlikely scenario, but looks entertaining.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mister bacon » 15 May 2017, 10:59

Briandong79 wrote:Looks pretty good. Looks very much like they cribbed the OITNB formula and put female empowerment in another unlikely scenario, but looks entertaining.

never seen oitnb and dont plan to anytime soon so it looks fresh to me!
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 15 May 2017, 11:38

Terrific Master of None summary, for a show that felt completely different across ten wonderful episodes in the best way. Normally a weekend binge would just leave six hours of memories, but I can remember each episode distinctly. My favorite was 2.4 First Date, a brilliant idea and perfectly executed. All so wonderful.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 May 2017, 12:10

Hmmmm... horribly conflicted here. GLOW has Alsion Brie, so +++, but it's about wrestling, so ---. Maybe will wait for the recs of the sons.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby SouthernYokel » 16 May 2017, 15:01

mister bacon wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:
-Cochran being portrayed as heroic is kind of weird. i assume that will turn a little bit at some point.

cochran and barry sheck are the only TRU heroes in the OJ trial. both of them had been watchdog civil rights attorneys after the LAPD for abuses of defendants and mishandling of evidence for a long time before OJ hired either of them. cochran is still held in very high regard by pretty much everyone in the l.a. legal community for everything he did before and after the OJ case.

ok fine, but in his defense of OJ Simpson i feel like at some point there's got to be some sort of internal conflict like "is it worth it to the community for me to get this double murdering weirdo who doesn't even believe he's black acquitted?" They seem to be playing this like he believes OJ is innocent because of his word, which, come on.

but thats the genius of what cochran and sheck did. they put the LAPD on (a long, overdue) trial instead of the juice. they didn't prove OJ was innocent, they just proved that the LAPD and prosecution lacked the evidence to find him guilty because they botched the case. the lead detective perjured himself (for no reason!) and the DNA evidence was contaminated. at that point it doesnt matter whether oj did it because the burden is on the state to prove it and they fucked up the case doing the same shit they do to pretty much every other defendant in the county. why do you think we have people getting out of jail on account of botched DNA evidence like almost daily now based on lab techs fucking shit up?

cant speak for donger or mj but once you get that far into a case you sort of zone out about whatever consequences happen if your client gets found not guilty. you're just thinking about mechanics and evidence. at least i do.

am now on the verdict episode. They did eventually paint Cochran in a more negative light but it does make it clear that at least part of him is doing it for the public at large and doesn't really care about the outcome of the trial. I feel bad for everyone involved in this shit except for Bob and F Lee. Even Furman, though i guess he only had to spend a decade in Montana and then he got a plum tv analyst job. White privilege! (for real...that's pretty good white privilege right there)
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 17 May 2017, 12:59

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 17 May 2017, 14:15

Oh you know that's right.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Briandong79 » 17 May 2017, 14:18

I didn't love the game but there's definitely a huge backstory there for them to use. Plus live action of the games should provide some good nudity.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 17 May 2017, 14:19

I think I'm going to read the Witcher stuff next. First I have to finish the last third of It and then the last two Preacher collections.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 18 May 2017, 13:00

Dark Crystal prequel, ten episodes.

http://tvline.com/2017/05/18/the-dark-c ... im-henson/

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
The Gelflings lose
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BigJohnStudd » 20 May 2017, 19:15

Thread integrity-ing from the SNL Skits thread:

Briandong79 wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Hope Fey sticks to TV over movies going forward. Sisters was ok, but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Anchorman 2, and Admission were all misses. I think Fey’s comedic stylings are just better in small doses.

Kimmy Schmidt season 3 hits the "flix tomorrow (tonight, today, something). I found season 2 boring, but hopefully the return of Jon Hamm will inject some life into the thing. I could care less about Kimmy banging that Asian dude, or Titus banging anyone, or the blonde woman becoming an SJW, or whatever Carol Kane and Fred Armisen are doing. In fact, the only good part of last season was Fey as the analyst. Tina Fey should do more of the anal., is what I'm saying.

I haven't seen season 2 yet but is it true Fred Armisen is in it? I might be out on that.

Just a couple eps, as the landlady's love interest. He's supposed to be Robert Durst, I guess. That's a knee-slapper of an impression, I tell you what.

Skip ahead to S02E09, Kimmy Meets a Drunk Lady, and watch that 4/5 episode arc (to the end of the season), then jump back if you feel like you want to see the whole thing. Episode 3, where Titus plays a geisha isn't bad either. Takes the piss out of Asian sjw protesters, which I enjoyed, of course.

I agree mostly with what's written. It's structured kind of like 30 Rock in terms of characters, pace, etc, but instead of a funny joke every minute, you're basically watching an episode for 2 or 3 funny moments. I don't think I'll pick it up right away, which probably means I'll never get back to it.

S03E01 was drop dead funny. They've adjusted their pacing for the 30 minute format, and there were only a few slow moments. I forgot Amy Sedaris was in this too, and they make fine use of her (a little of her grossness goes a long way, but she pulls off an impressive visual gag). Still too much Fred Armisen/Carol Kane, but the Kimmy and Titus plots were both solid. No David Cross either, so that's another plus for me. Meh+ so far.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby Dthefritz » 20 May 2017, 19:23

BigJohnStudd wrote:Thread integrity-ing from the SNL Skits thread:

Briandong79 wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Hope Fey sticks to TV over movies going forward. Sisters was ok, but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Anchorman 2, and Admission were all misses. I think Fey’s comedic stylings are just better in small doses.

Kimmy Schmidt season 3 hits the "flix tomorrow (tonight, today, something). I found season 2 boring, but hopefully the return of Jon Hamm will inject some life into the thing. I could care less about Kimmy banging that Asian dude, or Titus banging anyone, or the blonde woman becoming an SJW, or whatever Carol Kane and Fred Armisen are doing. In fact, the only good part of last season was Fey as the analyst. Tina Fey should do more of the anal., is what I'm saying.

I haven't seen season 2 yet but is it true Fred Armisen is in it? I might be out on that.

Just a couple eps, as the landlady's love interest. He's supposed to be Robert Durst, I guess. That's a knee-slapper of an impression, I tell you what.

Skip ahead to S02E09, Kimmy Meets a Drunk Lady, and watch that 4/5 episode arc (to the end of the season), then jump back if you feel like you want to see the whole thing. Episode 3, where Titus plays a geisha isn't bad either. Takes the piss out of Asian sjw protesters, which I enjoyed, of course.

I agree mostly with what's written. It's structured kind of like 30 Rock in terms of characters, pace, etc, but instead of a funny joke every minute, you're basically watching an episode for 2 or 3 funny moments. I don't think I'll pick it up right away, which probably means I'll never get back to it.

S03E01 was drop dead funny. They've adjusted their pacing for the 30 minute format, and there were only a few slow moments. I forgot Amy Sedaris was in this too, and they make fine use of her (a little of her grossness goes a long way, but she pulls off an impressive visual gag). Still too much Fred Armisen/Carol Kane, but the Kimmy and Titus plots were both solid. No David Cross either, so that's another plus for me. Meh+ so far.

I have zero memory of Fred Armisen in Season 2, can't picture it in my head whatsoever. You can bash Fred Armisen all you want, even though I find him more meh than hate him, but don't you dare put David Cross in the same category. He is a saint. A saint who errs occasionally, but a saint all the same.

I also don't care who Titus is banging, but that plotline did lead to the excellent cameo by CTZ's grandma last season.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BigJohnStudd » 21 May 2017, 01:27

Eps 2 and 3 are also good. David Cross returns, but he's not so smarmy as usual, and he gets made fun of a lot, so that was tolerable. The indulgent Titus/Lemonade parody was even okay, since I knew just enough without actually ever having watched the original to get the references. Laura Dern is a super smokeshow in ep 3, holy cow.

Also,
Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Kimmy straight-up says that the Reverend raped her in the bunker. (It was only alluded to in passing in Season 2.)

I'm sticking with it this season.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 22 May 2017, 09:58

BigJohnStudd wrote:The indulgent Titus/Lemonade parody was even okay, since I knew just enough without actually ever having watched the original to get the references.

Same!

This was the funniest season so far, though I often was like "ehhhhh OH HEY TITUS IS BACK YAY ehhhhhhhhhhhhh OH HEY TITUS IS BACK." It's one of those 'the lead is the worst character on the show' shows.
TheWolf - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: BREAKING: wolfette did not come home to blow me
Briandong79 - Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:02 pm: 31, you're up.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

PreviousNext

Return to TV