ESPN Sucks

ESPN Sucks

Postby TheFlyingWasp » 15 Feb 2005, 17:57

I hate Stuart "Krazy Eyez" Scott, Linda "The Nose" Cohn, the smug Steve Berthume, the occasionally annoying John Anderson, Kit Hoover from Cold Pizza, Steven A. Smith should never come back on the air, and I could go on.

ESPN's Sportscenter has lost its fastball for me. I just don't find it nearly as objective anymore. All it is is a stage for Stu Scott to pimp his "boys" and his alma mater.

The original programming is a joke, the announcers on Sunday night NFL suck.

sportscentury is great. so is PTI. Other than that, I could do without. Where is cnnsi when you need it. Any thoughts?
TheFlyingWasp
Hope College Alum

Postby mandingo » 15 Feb 2005, 19:24

I couldn't agree more, Stuart Scott's faux ghetto shtick is getting really really old. All their "espn original" shows (Tilt, crappy TV movies) are terrible and overplayed. PTI is far and away the best sports/talk show on TV, even though it is being surrounded by ripoff after ripoff all day long. Around the horn, 1st and ten, now Daily Rome, I miss the days of old worlds strongest man shows and random nfl films stuff. Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless are just terrible. Hopefully Fox Sports will make a power play and hire away some of ESPNs more hackish talent and make some more copycat shows. Give me PTI, Baseball Tonight, and NFL live and ill be okay.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

Postby Dunking Donut » 15 Feb 2005, 20:29

Stuart Scott's alright but his glaucoma eye thing is a little distracting.

My big complaint is Stephen A. Smith. Agreed, he is awful. I was kind of laughing at the last Sportscenter personality search show with him on it. Dude, half these guys are better than you and yet here you are, telling them what they did wrong. The irony.

I like Kenny Mayne. Two Minute Drill was good.

I have a weird attraction to Linda Cohn. I'm betting she's a wild woman in the sack.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 15 Feb 2005, 20:46

Let's not forget the NFL crew of Sean Salisbury (who no one listened to until he started yelling like Steven A Smith), Mark Schlereth, Michael Irvin, hell pretty much everyone except John Clayton. ESPN is no longer sports news for sports fans, its about generating as much money as possible and ignoring their core audience because we're a captive audience. That being said, still better than the Best Damn Sports Show. Period.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 15 Feb 2005, 21:41

Best Damn is about to get axed. There just trying to find SOMETHING to put in its place for 6 hours a night.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

TheWolf wrote: Being a douche is a very expensive hobby.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 Feb 2005, 22:14

My biggest problem with all the Disney properties (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, Disney Channel, etc.) is that they spend so much time cross-promoting each other that they seem more like ads than entertainment channels. I didnt watch 3, but I'm just convinced it stunk because if it was any good they wouldn't need to spend so much time promoting it. Take the HBO route of a modest rollout with enough marketing to get the name out there, but let the quality of the product speak for itself. If Disney redirected some of its marketing budget towards production maybe Tilt would be a two on a scale of 1 to 10 instead of a negative four.

Having said that I'll keep watching as long as they've got sports I like. I'm ashamed of that. They're like the hot popular chick in high school: low on redeeming qualities but you'd still jump at the chance to buy her dinner.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 15 Feb 2005, 22:49

I treat a bitch like 7-UP, I never have and I never will.

You without me is like Harold Melvin without the Blue Notes, You'll never go platinum.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby jack_daniels » 16 Feb 2005, 00:47

PTI is the greatest talk show ever invented. And Kornheiser is my second favourit sports columnist next to SG.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 16 Feb 2005, 01:20

I agree that the cross promotion is killer. All of the EOE things have sucked except for Playmakers, and even that was only good not great. I remember the first time I saw the first ad for Best Damn, I was sure that whoever came up with the idea was as good as fired because it looked so stupid. I think we just have to accept that now that everyone has cable networks like ESPN have maxed out the sports fan audience, so they think they need to resort to these gimmicks to try and get non sports fans to watch because they know that us sports fans are going to have to keep coming if we want sports coverage.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby jack_daniels » 16 Feb 2005, 01:22

Not as bad as what Friends did with cross-promoting DOOL(or Days of our Lives). They even incorporated it into the story line.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 16 Feb 2005, 01:24

Or how about The Practice doing crossovers with Boston Public and Ally McBeal, those shows aren't even on the same network! I never understood that.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby jack_daniels » 16 Feb 2005, 01:34

The worst was the Simpsons cross-promting X-files. But I give them cred. for giving us a funny ass episode.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 16 Feb 2005, 01:44

I don't mind cross promotion if it works and it adds something to the show (my favorite episode of the Old School Adam West era Batman was the crossover with the Green Hornet), it's when it's just thrown in there as advertising and doesn't add to the show that it gets lame.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 16 Feb 2005, 01:48

Snake wrote:Or how about The Practice doing crossovers with Boston Public and Ally McBeal, those shows aren't even on the same network! I never understood that.

All three of these shows were produced by David E. Kelley's production company, but they were on different networks.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 16 Feb 2005, 01:56

Oh OK there's the connection. Too bad Boston Public disappeared like it did, I used to love that show the first couple of years before all the original teachers disappeared.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to TV