The Americans

Re: The Americans

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 09 May 2016, 10:25

Frank the Tank wrote:Odd time to take a pause in the show. Had more of a season-finale feel to it than a "there's still five episodes left in the season" feel. I trust the writers here, but I'm really confused as to what this time jump is setting up.

I'm ok with it, Gabriel and Mags Bennett just said they needed a break, they'd gotten the major asset and virus out. Just skipped some months of Elizabeth and Soo-yun or whatever Mary Kay's name is sneaking into movies and making out in back and Paige playing putt putt while the boys stole beers. Now it's been a few months, time to get back in the game!
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 11226
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

Re: The Americans

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 May 2016, 10:39

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:Odd time to take a pause in the show. Had more of a season-finale feel to it than a "there's still five episodes left in the season" feel. I trust the writers here, but I'm really confused as to what this time jump is setting up.

I'm ok with it, Gabriel and Mags Bennett just said they needed a break, they'd gotten the major asset and virus out. Just skipped some months of Elizabeth and Soo-yun or whatever Mary Kay's name is sneaking into movies and making out in back and Paige playing putt putt while the boys stole beers. Now it's been a few months, time to get back in the game!

My biggest takeaway from the jump forward was the report Paige gave Philip and Elizabeth after hanging out with Pastor Tim and wife. She looked beaten down by the whole responsibility. That's what she gets for ratting out her parents.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13401
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Americans

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 09 May 2016, 11:28

Flush. You watch The Americans? Not sure I like this out of you. Its not the kind of show I envision you enjoying. I hope you arent doing it to fit in. You should just do you, imo.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 28655
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: The Americans

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 May 2016, 12:25

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Flush. You watch The Americans? Not sure I like this out of you. Its not the kind of show I envision you enjoying. I hope you arent doing it to fit in. You should just do you, imo.

Probably my favorite show on tv right now. It's set in the 80s--why wouldn't you think I'd like it???
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13401
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Americans

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 09 May 2016, 12:43

CourtesyFlush wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Flush. You watch The Americans? Not sure I like this out of you. Its not the kind of show I envision you enjoying. I hope you arent doing it to fit in. You should just do you, imo.

Probably my favorite show on tv right now. It's set in the 80s--why wouldn't you think I'd like it???


I didnt know that.

Are you planning on seeing that cop buddy film that stars Ryan Goose Gosling and the guy from Gladiator? Dont know the title, but the font they use for it makes me believe its set in the 70s or 80s.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep
 
Posts: 28655
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: The Americans

Postby TVF wannabe » 09 May 2016, 12:56

CourtesyFlush wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Flush. You watch The Americans? Not sure I like this out of you. Its not the kind of show I envision you enjoying. I hope you arent doing it to fit in. You should just do you, imo.

Probably my favorite show on tv right now. It's set in the 80s--why wouldn't you think I'd like it???

I liked this very much but have fallen far behind, I hope to catch up. It was probably on here but I believe the impetus for the show was the arrest of some people that had originally come here as spies and just continued living life here after the fall of the ussr.
User avatar
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: 07 Jun 2006, 14:16

Re: The Americans

Postby CourtesyFlush » 09 May 2016, 13:49

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Are you planning on seeing that cop buddy film that stars Ryan Goose Gosling and the guy from Gladiator? Dont know the title, but the font they use for it makes me believe its set in the 70s or 80s.

Some quick internet research confirmed that movie (The Nice Guys) is indeed set in 1970s Los Angeles. Not sure if I will make a special trip to see it in the theater, but it looks good. Kinda reminds me of American Hustle. Fun fact: the director of The Nice Guys (Shane Black) wrote the screenplay for Lethal Weapon and The Predator.

TVF wannabe wrote:I liked this very much but have fallen far behind, I hope to catch up. It was probably on here but I believe the impetus for the show was the arrest of some people that had originally come here as spies and just continued living life here after the fall of the ussr.

They're KGB spies posing as a family in the DC suburbs. There are some historical events they build some story arcs around, but for the most part the central theme of the show is how the couple juggles their family life--arranged marriage and two teenage kids--with their duties as spies.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13401
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Americans

Postby TVF wannabe » 09 May 2016, 14:03

CourtesyFlush wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Are you planning on seeing that cop buddy film that stars Ryan Goose Gosling and the guy from Gladiator? Dont know the title, but the font they use for it makes me believe its set in the 70s or 80s.

Some quick internet research confirmed that movie (The Nice Guys) is indeed set in 1970s Los Angeles. Not sure if I will make a special trip to see it in the theater, but it looks good. Kinda reminds me of American Hustle. Fun fact: the director of The Nice Guys (Shane Black) wrote the screenplay for Lethal Weapon and The Predator.

TVF wannabe wrote:I liked this very much but have fallen far behind, I hope to catch up. It was probably on here but I believe the impetus for the show was the arrest of some people that had originally come here as spies and just continued living life here after the fall of the ussr.

They're KGB spies posing as a family in the DC suburbs. There are some historical events they build some story arcs around, but for the most part the central theme of the show is how the couple juggles their family life--arranged marriage and two teenage kids--with their duties as spies.


I have watched a couple of seasons of the show so I know what it is.


http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31 ... s-20111101 this story supposedly gave him the idea.

wiki wrote:Weisberg was partially influenced by the events of the Illegals Program to write a pilot script for the series. His research material included notes on the KGB's Cold War left by Vasili Mitrokhin and conversations with some of his former colleagues at the CIA.[7] He stated that, unlike the circumstances involving the Illegals Program (which culminated in 2010), he had opted to set the story in the early 1980s because "a modern day [setting] didn't seem like a good idea", adding, "People were both shocked and simultaneously shrugged at the [2010] scandal because it didn't seem like we were really enemies with Russia anymore. An obvious way to remedy that for television was to stick it back in the Cold War. At first, the '70s appealed to me just because I loved the hair and the music. But can you think of a better time than the '80s with Ronald Reagan yelling about the evil empire?"[7]
User avatar
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 5301
Joined: 07 Jun 2006, 14:16

Re: The Americans

Postby Rodney Farva » 10 May 2016, 03:10

go back a page or two to the story i linked about one of the families in the illegals program. their teenaged sons had no idea the parents were rooskies planted here as spies (they grew up thinking they were canadians) until the fbi raided their house and arrested the parents.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 23887
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: The Americans

Postby CourtesyFlush » 25 May 2016, 12:12

Renewed for its 5th and 6th season

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Sixth season will be its last :(
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13401
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: The Americans

Postby Frank the Tank » 09 Jun 2016, 08:55

After a good season I thought the season finale was a snoozer. I expected things to move along a lot more. I guess it was technically a "cliffhanger" but not a very exciting one.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 30988
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: The Americans

Postby chrisco » 10 Jun 2016, 13:51

This might be the first time in a long time that I wanted less eps from one of my favorite shows. Should have wrapped after Martha.

We are we on getting more storylines that take place in Russia? I'm neutral to skeptical of this.
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 10845
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: The Americans

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Jun 2016, 10:00

chrisco wrote:We are we on getting more storylines that take place in Russia? I'm neutral to skeptical of this.


I don't have a problem with storylines in Russia per se, but this storyline, setting up Phillip/Миша to have his adult son who is not a big fan of the USSR come find him? I'm very skeptical of that line. Generally they've delivered though so I'm gonna roll with it.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 30988
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: The Americans

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 16 Jun 2016, 08:13

I'm curious if Oleg is gonna finagle his way into staying as Rezidentura now that Arkady is going home. That could give Stan some extra avenues to discovering Philip and Elizabeth.

Also, Super Bowl XVIII? Not cool, man, not cool
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 11226
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

Re: The Americans

Postby CourtesyFlush » 19 Jan 2017, 09:40

Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
User avatar
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends
 
Posts: 13401
Joined: 28 Oct 2007, 01:11
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests