The Event

The Event

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 24 Sep 2010, 01:21

Anyone watching this? I DVR-ed the first episode and watched it tonight. I have to admit - it has a lot of potential. The only problem is that I think it's even more intentionally-mysterious than Lost was. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but what it does mean is that I think this show works better in marathon format. Without spoiling anything, you only get bits and pieces of several related storylines in the first episode, often told non-chronologically.

I think my plan is to DVR everything and then watch the show every two or three weeks, getting the episodes back-to-back. I think that will make the story more coherent and strengthen the narrative.

Overall, though, I think the premiere was a solid "B."
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Re: The Event

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Sep 2010, 07:03

Normally I'd be on board for a show like this, but FlashForward burned me and now I feel hesitant. I think I'm going to archive the episodes, and if people are still praising it after November sweeps I'll play catch-up.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 28 Sep 2010, 01:47

My only complaint is they jump around chronologically too much. But yeah, gamey legs on this show.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby OJ8871440 » 10 Oct 2010, 05:35

I've been back and forth on if I want to stick with this show, I already gave up on Chase. The ending to the 3rd episode bought at least 2 more.
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm Dr Jeckyll who the hell reads OJ posts?
OJ8871440
Rocky Balboa

Postby dlpin » 11 Oct 2010, 01:07

It seems too centered on one thing and too intentionally misterious, which makes me afraid that if it is in any way successful it will be 5 years of an ever increasing mystery that they will have to haphazardly solve whenever ratings start to decline.

Lost seems to have avoided some of this by having a definitive end date (though it still had a lot of those problems). The x files avoided some of this by having 2/3s of the episodes be completely unrelated to the main mystery (though the main mystery was a mess by season 4).

I think I will wait until the series is over and on dvd before investing any more time on it.
dlpin
Rocky Balboa

Postby TheWolf » 14 Oct 2010, 11:30

Other than all the time-jumping, I'm really enjoying this show. I haven't seen Episode 4 yet because the internet signal where I'm living right now is fucking atrocious so it takes like 4 hours to watch a one-hour show. So I'll probably wait till I move next month before catching up, but I'm definitely digging it through three episodes.

Like FTT, I was burned by Flash Forward, and I won't be pleased if The Event does that to me too. But they've convinced me to hang on for the ride.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 15 Oct 2010, 13:41

I will say right now that if Shawn/Sean/Shaun/Chone's parents that he hasn't seen in years have anything to do with causing the Event (whatever it may be), or are in any way involved in the conspiracy, I will be displeased. This isn't Chuck.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Theny » 17 Oct 2010, 10:57

Caught up on this show yesterday. Really liking it so far, even though the FBI chick might be the worst actress I've ever seen. We need Gaylord back here to debunk my various theories and call me an idiot though.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Theny » 18 Oct 2010, 20:13

So the aliens can take a plane out of the sky in Miami and magically crash it instantly in Yuma, AZ. Then make all the passengers appear to be dead, only to wake up like 48 hours later. But they can't just bust their people out of jail in Alaska? Ok.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Oct 2010, 20:39

Theny wrote:So the aliens can take a plane out of the sky in Miami and magically crash it instantly in Yuma, AZ. Then make all the passengers appear to be dead, only to wake up like 48 hours later. But they can't just bust their people out of jail in Alaska? Ok.

And they can tell instantly that someone from the Yuma field office is trying to place a call to the Washington field office, but they can't locate the guy's cell phone on a network.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 03 Nov 2010, 01:40

I caught up on everything tonight. It's solid so far, and I was VERY pleased that they wrapped up the "Sean and Leila are separated" storyline. They needed to advance that ball down the field a little for the story to continue. Not sure what to make of these "aliens." As in, I'm not sure they're even "aliens," per se. Maybe they're from Atlantis or something. Or from the future. Or maybe they just wanted to keep the show's budget down by making these aliens look EXACTLY like us.

The idea of the "aliens" influencing technological advances is cool, but the timing bugged me. The Manhattan Project was already WELL on its way toward fission by 1944. The big-picture stuff had already been calculated and figured out, it was just a matter of determining what kind of mechanism would work best (as it turned out, two different designs were used). Anyway, I would have been fine with it if the plane had crashed in 1941 or 1942, but the chronology rubbed me the wrong way. Still, I'm willing to overlook this if the payoff is good.

I liked that Blair Underwood (totally unconvincing as a "Cuban," but whatever) got tough.

Last thought: There are three "sides" in play, obviously. The mainstream U. S. government. The "aliens." The organization that tried to kill the president (and/or Sophia). Naturally, the latter probably has agents in the government, just as the "aliens" did/do.

Pretty good show, and I think watching once ever few weeks is the way to go for me.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Dec 2010, 08:43

I'm now four episodes behind on this show. I have to admit my enthusiasm was killed when they announced the show is going off the air for several months to give this The Cape thing it's time slot. The long hiatus killed my interest in FlashForward, and will probably do so with The Event. I guess my question is "do those who've seen the last four episodes think they're good enough to wait it out until February 28th, 2011, or should i just delete those four episodes and take 45 minutes per week back of my life?

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 01 Dec 2010, 10:22

Frank the Tank wrote:I'm now four episodes behind on this show. I have to admit my enthusiasm was killed when they announced the show is going off the air for several months to give this The Cape thing it's time slot. The long hiatus killed my interest in FlashForward, and will probably do so with The Event. I guess my question is "do those who've seen the last four episodes think they're good enough to wait it out until February 28th, 2011, or should i just delete those four episodes and take 45 minutes per week back of my life?

I would watch them. The show has been unfolding pretty nicely in my opinion. However, I don't know why networks think the long hiatus thing is a good idea, AND they always seem to do it with shows like this. "Invasion," "Jericho," "FlashForward," and now this one have all had a long hiatus after a successful or semi-successful early run. Ditto "V," but I think the ratings were strong enough there that it will survive. I don't understand why the networks don't see this as an obvious momentum killer.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby someguysomewhere » 01 Dec 2010, 18:37

Montecore's Revenge wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:I'm now four episodes behind on this show. I have to admit my enthusiasm was killed when they announced the show is going off the air for several months to give this The Cape thing it's time slot. The long hiatus killed my interest in FlashForward, and will probably do so with The Event. I guess my question is "do those who've seen the last four episodes think they're good enough to wait it out until February 28th, 2011, or should i just delete those four episodes and take 45 minutes per week back of my life?

I would watch them. The show has been unfolding pretty nicely in my opinion. However, I don't know why networks think the long hiatus thing is a good idea, AND they always seem to do it with shows like this. "Invasion," "Jericho," "FlashForward," and now this one have all had a long hiatus after a successful or semi-successful early run. Ditto "V," but I think the ratings were strong enough there that it will survive. I don't understand why the networks don't see this as an obvious momentum killer.

Isn't it just a way to minimize the front end investment if one of these shows tanks right out of the gate?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Dec 2010, 19:22

They gave it a full season pickup over a month ago. They should be ready to go with 12 eps back to back with no weeks off when they return, but on a serialized show like this one twelve weeks off is a surefire way to kill any buzz you've got.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Next

Return to TV