The Walking Dead on AMC

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Postby k_nguyen93 » 31 Jul 2010, 12:06

Anyone else excited for this show? Here's a summary for anyone that doesn't know what this is about:

It's based on a zombie comic by Robert Kirkman that is currently at 76 issues. Frank Darabont is directing the pilot and in charge of things. What's good about this is that even though the comic is set in a post zombie apocalypse, the characters drive the comic and that's something Darabont is pretty good at. Gale Anne Hurd is producing it, she's worked on Terminator, Aliens, and the Punisher. Since it's on AMC, the show is going to be pretty gorey with Greg Nicotero doing the makeup and costume. Bear McCreary from Battlestar Galactica is doing the soundtrack. For anyone interested in the comic, you can get the first issue as a free app on iTunes, search 'Walking Dead.' Here's the trailer that was shown at Comic-Con last week, it was watered down for the event so expect much more gore. Also it may look like 28 days Later but just keep in mind that the comic was published before the movie came out so yeah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY

Clips from Comic Con:
~Zombies walking around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63msg0nLUB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VMyLXShmaM

~Interview with Robert Kirkman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au4Jjia3PyQ

~Panel, parts 1-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLm8flSA71U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sy1aW_PcRc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMQL5rxDHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmUjZ0y9Vc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y5JgIf3mo8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hssTvWgkRKE
k_nguyen93
Doug Christie

Re: The Walking Dead (AMC)

Postby ComplexLitigations » 31 Jul 2010, 15:07

I've read large parts of the comic and was excited about this for quite some time. The trailer leaves me feeling slightly mixed. It looks like it could really go either way at this point. But I'm hopeful.
nasty nova wrote:I watched Dumb and Dumber three times a day for an entire summer when it was on PPV at my friend's house.
ComplexLitigations
Bruce Dickinson

The Walking Dead on AMC

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Aug 2010, 12:13

I'm not a huge zombie fan, but this show looks absolutely amazing. The waking up in a hospital thing is a bit played out, but this looks fantastic for a basic cable TV show:

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Re: The Walking Dead on AMC

Postby IhateTomBrady » 25 Aug 2010, 18:28

The n00b beat you to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4282
_ to Dick Hertz: You wrote your own death when you signed the cheque off on that McMansion that is most definitely underwater at this point but too proud to tell anyone here... You don't know jack shit about the blue collar life you yuppie faggot.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Briandong79 » 27 Sep 2010, 17:12

Some fan did this opening for the show, as the first comment says, I will be impressed if they can come up with a cooler opening credits theme than the one here:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/these-fa ... ead,45672/
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby dlpin » 01 Nov 2010, 20:24

I'd give the pilot a b, maybe b+ overall. As a tv show on basic cable, it was outstanding, certainly an A. As a zombie story, there wasn't anything original or noteworthy about it, so a c. I know its not their fault entirely, seeing as they are working with an existing story, but still... it was a mix of the opening sequences of 28 days later (the hospital, the walk home) and the dawn of the dead remake (the zombie apocalypse being "introduced" through a cute little brain eating blond girl), in a much smaller, less grandiose scale. It might be unfair to compare a tv series to a couple of blockbusters, but when the scenes are so incredibly similar its hard not to.
dlpin
Rocky Balboa

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 01 Nov 2010, 20:56

I enjoyed the pilot. Had it's kinda slow moments where we "knew" what was going on but the protagonist didn't cuz, ya know, he didn't get to watch the trailers like we did. But I thought the direction, pacing, etc. were great, created the proper atmosphere and tension. The one thing I thought might have held the show back was the amount of gore/special effects and holy shit was that thought put to rest quickly. The only other example of a basic cable show being so graphic that I can think of is when TNT shows Saving Private Ryan uncut on Memorial and Veterans Day.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
The scenes with the father/son were hauntingly powerful. 5 powerful strips of bacon out of 5.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Briandong79 » 01 Nov 2010, 20:59

The scene with the dad looking out over the street, trying to build up the courage to kill his wife...excellent scene.

The way that this show is going to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, is by showing the zombie apocalypse as an ongoing series, rather than a 90-120 minute movie, so yes, comparing it to movies is sort of missing the point. You've seen a 90 minute pilot of a first season of a show with at least 5 hour episodes left...there's a ton of different directions that this could go, and that's why it's exciting.

Great first episode, acting was excellent, I'm looking forward to it.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby dlpin » 01 Nov 2010, 21:20

Briandean79 wrote:The scene with the dad looking out over the street, trying to build up the courage to kill his wife...excellent scene.

The way that this show is going to reinvent the wheel, so to speak, is by showing the zombie apocalypse as an ongoing series, rather than a 90-120 minute movie, so yes, comparing it to movies is sort of missing the point. You've seen a 90 minute pilot of a first season of a show with at least 5 hour episodes left...there's a ton of different directions that this could go, and that's why it's exciting.

Great first episode, acting was excellent, I'm looking forward to it.

Well, yes, the "new" aspect to it is certainly the fact that they will be showing life during the apocalypse, not just the "escape" from the apocalypse like most movies so far. But that still doesn't excuse the blatant rip offs. I mean, the fact that its longer running means it has more possibilities and potential than movies, but those things are not a given.

Hence the B grade.
dlpin
Rocky Balboa

Postby Dunking Donut » 02 Nov 2010, 06:00

I really enjoyed it. Over a series I think you can throw in a few twists and a lot more character development. And also work your way into how you survive in this kind of world and restart it which is something a movie can't do, generally speaking.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 02 Nov 2010, 19:47

Watching it now.

Yes, it's Hawkins from Jericho.

So that guys wife and kid are hanging out in tent city and his old partner is putting the moves on his wife?
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby dlpin » 07 Nov 2010, 23:14

episode 2 was still a solid meh. I thought that the point of having more time to tell the story was to go beyond the traditional zombie movie stuff, not to do the traditional zombie stuff at a much slower pace.
I'll keep watching it, but we're 1/3 through the series and I can't say much other than this is a decent show for a basic cable series, which is damning it with faint praise.
dlpin
Rocky Balboa

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Nov 2010, 11:30

I think episode 2 was a pretty sharp drop from the premiere. Glen was a good character, the rest that were introduced were pretty useless. Looks like the cops wife is a slutty little thing.

Tiny correction, we're a third of the way through the season, not the series, its most likely getting picked up for a 2nd season.

I think the lead actor is still doing a good job.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 08 Nov 2010, 19:39

It was a That Guy moment with the racist dude.

Had to look him up and realize I knew him as Mr. Svenning from Mallrats.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby dlpin » 15 Nov 2010, 01:30

The third episode is a bit better. But I think it is very hard to translate a comic book to a tv series, and I say this as someone who was never a fan of comic books.

I think character development, for example, has been pretty shallow.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
The whole wife thing, for example, with Lori going from grieving widow to being pounded doggie style in the woods, back to loving and caring wife in a matter of a few weeks, for example

Not to mention the oversupply of characters that we just don't care about and can see from a mile away that they are just there to serve as zombie fodder.

I almost feel bad bashing the series, because it is still much better than a lot of what is out there. But at the same time, it has been an undeniable disappointment from what I was expecting.
dlpin
Rocky Balboa

Next

Return to TV