MTV. We never had an MTV thread?

MTV. We never had an MTV thread?

Postby White Lightning » 17 Aug 2010, 13:26

Rickey Sez wrote:EOE scares me. I fear that one day soon we'll be saying "Remember when ESPN used to air sporting events and SportsCenter?" the same way we're saying "remember when MTV showed music videos?'.


Am I the only one who never liked music videos and am glad they don't show them any more?
Gregs Kite - Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am: WL is funny, possibly a full blown alcoholic, and seemingly not a prissy dickhead.
User avatar
White Lightning
Etiquette Instructor
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 20:05
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Re:

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Aug 2010, 18:54

White Lightning wrote:
Rickey Sez wrote:EOE scares me. I fear that one day soon we'll be saying "Remember when ESPN used to air sporting events and SportsCenter?" the same way we're saying "remember when MTV showed music videos?'.


Am I the only one who never liked music videos and am glad they don't show them any more?



Yeah, I'm with you thanks to hindsight. They are odd creatures, helping give rise to Backstreet Boys and Tiffany and Limp Bizkit, allowing MTV to basically pick and choose who the next big thing will be.
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby mister bacon » 17 Aug 2010, 19:27

you two are too young to appreciate what mtv was during its heyday when it showed a wide swath of music.

aside from pop and rnb it showed a lot of music videos from lesser know artists and genres.

yo mtv raps was one of the greatest tv shows ever, and brought on tons of guests that are now legends in the game like nwa, public enemy, gangstarr, ice cube, ice t, all those guys when mainstream america was just becoming familiar with the music. mtv started showing rap videos before bet did.

alternative on 120 minutes, where lesser known "college rock" like nin, nirvana, red hot chili peppers primus, and rem got their first mainstream exposure

headbangers ball with the mustane led metallica, ministry, judas priest...

i know when you were young it wasn't like that, so i don't fault you for your opinion, but when i was a kid i discovered great music outside of the mainstream on the station. it was a lifeline to someone in indianapolis.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 27119
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 17 Aug 2010, 19:29

Michael Jackson is rolling in his grave.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 12907
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby Briandong79 » 17 Aug 2010, 19:30

Also, in the days of pre-internet porn, don't underestimate the usefulness of music videos for jeckyllilng material.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31631
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 17 Aug 2010, 19:35

mister bacon wrote:you two are insane. either that or too young to appreciate mtv during its heyday when it showed a wide swath of music.

pop, rnb, rap (yo mtv raps was one of the greatest tv shows ever, and brought on tons of guests that are now legends in the game)

alternative on 120 minutes, where lesser known "college rock" like nin, nirvana, red hot chili peppers primus, and rem got their first mainstream exposure

headbangers ball with the mustane led metallica, ministry, judas priest...

i know when you were young it wasn't like that, so i don't fault you for your opinion, but when i was a kid i discovered great music outside of the mainstream on the station. it was a lifeline to someone in indianapolis.


Times change though. When I was a kid, TRL ruled all, Carson Daly was the kingpin, that creepy weird John Norris dude was on just his second hair color/style in a desperate attempt to stay youthful looking, and the people who didn't like the dreck being shoveled were excited for this great, new, different band that was going to change the game: Korn.

We're both right, I think.


Briandean79 wrote:Also, in the days of pre-internet porn, don't underestimate the usefulness of music videos for jeckyllilng material.


Madonna's Justify My Love :sniff:
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13482
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby chrisco » 17 Aug 2010, 19:36

Bacon and BD speak the TRUth sonz. 120 minutes and video babes :sniff:

I hate to admit it, but the Kokomo video always did it to me.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12781
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby dlpin » 17 Aug 2010, 19:54

mister bacon wrote:you two are too young to appreciate what mtv was during its heyday when it showed a wide swath of music.

aside from pop and rnb it showed a lot of music videos from lesser know artists and genres.

yo mtv raps was one of the greatest tv shows ever, and brought on tons of guests that are now legends in the game like nwa, public enemy, gangstarr, ice cube, ice t, all those guys when mainstream america was just becoming familiar with the music. mtv started showing rap videos before bet did.

alternative on 120 minutes, where lesser known "college rock" like nin, nirvana, red hot chili peppers primus, and rem got their first mainstream exposure

headbangers ball with the mustane led metallica, ministry, judas priest...

i know when you were young it wasn't like that, so i don't fault you for your opinion, but when i was a kid i discovered great music outside of the mainstream on the station. it was a lifeline to someone in indianapolis.


Agreed completely. I went to high school for a year in the rural midwest in the pre internet days. If it wasn't for MTV, I'll that I'd have access to was country music and oldies radio stations, or, on good weather days, a couple of Grand Rapids top 40 radio stations.
User avatar
dlpin
Rocky Balboa
 
Posts: 1158
Joined: 18 Feb 2010, 20:31

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby mister bacon » 17 Aug 2010, 19:57

chrisco wrote:Bacon and BD speak the TRUth sonz. 120 minutes and video babes :sniff:

I hate to admit it, but the Kokomo video always did it to me.



dyvinyls - touch myself

ftw

2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 27119
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby chrisco » 17 Aug 2010, 19:58

mister bacon wrote:
chrisco wrote:Bacon and BD speak the TRUth sonz. 120 minutes and video babes :sniff:

I hate to admit it, but the Kokomo video always did it to me.



dyvinyls - touch myself

ftw



I already was touching myself fulltime by then. I should have clarified that Kokomo was the one that broke me into the habit.

Watching this video now...it was the second greatest j4b video after Wicked Game. Someone give me a top 5...
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12781
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 Aug 2010, 20:58

damn i miss 120 minutes. best show ever.

late 80s MTV was really damned good. plenty of music videos, niche shows for different genres, the unintentional comedy of adam curry's hair, and a mix of a few "entertainment" shows like remote control (kari wuhrer ftw) and the half hour comedy hour.

as for personally "inspirational" videos i have a foggy recollection of some joan jett song though i'm not sure which one.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 25579
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby God Shamgod » 17 Aug 2010, 21:20

Briandean79 wrote:Also, in the days of pre-internet porn, don't underestimate the usefulness of music videos for jeckyllilng material.


I think I jeckylled to the 7 AM to showing of The Grind after my parents left for work and before I went to school for most of 1997.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
User avatar
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD
 
Posts: 5748
Joined: 26 Sep 2005, 10:06
Location: rehab

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 18 Aug 2010, 00:08

David Lee Roth covering California Girls.

The Whitesnake video with Tawny Kitaen. I taped it in HS and happened to pause it when she's leaning out the car and you could see complete nipple had popped out.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18768
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 18 Aug 2010, 20:51

Rodney Farva wrote:damn i miss 120 minutes. best show ever.

late 80s MTV was really damned good. plenty of music videos, niche shows for different genres, the unintentional comedy of adam curry's hair, and a mix of a few "entertainment" shows like remote control (kari wuhrer ftw) and the half hour comedy hour.

as for personally "inspirational" videos i have a foggy recollection of some joan jett song though i'm not sure which one.


Crimson and Clover, perhaps?
User avatar
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: 06 Jan 2006, 20:48
Location: Not using steroids

Re: EOE - ESPN Original Entertainment

Postby Rodney Farva » 18 Aug 2010, 21:18

no, i looked up her discography :gay: to try to time it, and i'm pretty sure it was this one.



looking at it now it's not very 'inspirational' other than a few shots of her tight ass, but attraction to joan jett was usually about her attitude more than anything else.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
User avatar
Rodney Farva
Your real father
 
Posts: 25579
Joined: 15 Mar 2005, 22:17

Next

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest