Family Guy

Family Guy

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 24 Jan 2005, 08:00

I never really watched this when it was on and then my room mate in college got me hooked on the DVDs...I'm excited beyond description that FOX is bringing it back, let's just pray they dont offend Joe Buck and get cancelled again.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Jan 2005, 08:11

FOX isn't afraid of controversy, but they're scared to death of low ratings. Hopefully they'll pick one time slot (Sunday after the Simpsons?) and keep the show there for a long time. I don't think the show aired more than six times in a row in the same time slot during its first run.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Dunking Donut » 24 Jan 2005, 09:45

I think that was exactly the problem, Tank. It was (and is) a great show but folks could never find it. Hopefully it still has the magic when it comes back. It's more popular than ever.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 24 Jan 2005, 11:48

I've got it programmed in on my DVR to record every single episode no matter when or where it airs along with This Old House.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Jan 2005, 12:09

Yeah, and, the Parents Television Council (who, by the way, are almost as conservative as my mother's church, which was too conservative even for the Southern Baptist Convention) kept pressuring sponsors for allowing that "filth" on the air at "the family hour." God the PTC pisses me off (although it did lead to the WWE parodying them as the "Right to Censor," or RTC for short).
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 24 Jan 2005, 14:06

If you don't like what's on TV, turn it off.
If you're afraid your kids will see something they shouldn't when you're not around, then stop using your boob tube as a babysitter.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Jan 2005, 15:55

Absolutely, and it angered me to no end that the PTC thought they were so high and mighty that they could take shows like Family Guy off of the air. Their most egregious propoganda happened after the Lionel Tate murder, when they tried to pin all of that on the WWF (I flatly refuse to call it WWE, the Wildlife Fund can fornicate themselves with an iron stick) for broadcasting "Smackdown!" on a broadcast network, not cable.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jan 2005, 20:40

Plus when you're broadcasting a fake wrestling show which show scantily clad women and swearing on Spike(the First Network for Men!), it would be wise not to let your children watch it considering these above factors.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 24 Jan 2005, 21:53

How funny was it when the WWE actually got the PTC to apologize and admit they were wrong. Now they're claiming victory that they've gotten Howard Stern off the air. Not quite sure how they figure that but whatever.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jan 2005, 22:00

Beecause of these conservative times, many of these organizations are going to come down hard on liberal shows such as the Daily Show. They were pussies un the first term, because they didn't want an uproar(or a lost election),but they are definitely going to crack down hard on all liberal radio and T.V. shows.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JohnnyDamon » 25 Jan 2005, 00:54

and the minute they do, I will renounce right-wing politics (note I didn't say the Republican party).
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby JohnnyDamon » 25 Jan 2005, 00:55

And, the great thing is, it was Mick Foley who ended up destroying the PTC's myth about the WWF. If you get a chance, read the bonus chapter of "Foley is Good," it is very interesting.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 25 Jan 2005, 04:04

JD, no one is going to crack down on the Daily Show. TV is just as bad as it ever was, and outside of Howard Stern (who's gotten worse because the show got politcal and it interfered with the show) so is radio.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Ubertrout » 25 Jan 2005, 04:16

The Daily Show is untouchable at this point. And I wouldn't say it's even necessarily a liberal show. Stewart has guests from all over the place, including a conservative today who has a book out about how direct mail and third-party media outlets influenced a conservative shift in the nation's political landscape. He also has both John McCain and Joe Lieberman on the show regularly. He has guests from all sides. He rips on Bush more because 1) he's the President, so there's naturally more material, and 2) he's Bush, so there's naturally more material. And the thing about the Daily Show is that it's popularity is so unquestioned that there's nothing anyone can do to bring it down. Think about it: news articles usually mention Stewart in the same category as Leno, Letterman, and Conan O'Brien, which isn't that impressive until you consider that Stewart's show is on cable (oh yeah, and The Daily Show is easily the best of any of those). It's like South Park and Chappelle's Show; not going anywhere for a while.
"I don't care if the Yankees are playing a team consisting of Saddam Hussein, Hitler, and Josef Stalin; I still want them to lose." -My Uncle
Ubertrout
Farva's Driver

Postby Snake » 25 Jan 2005, 04:18

It really isn't a liberal show, it's that Jon Stewart tells it like it is and the facts right now don't look so good for the conservatives. I think if Kerry had won Jon Stewart would ride him just as hard. I hear there's talk he might be in line for a job with the real news, supposedly CBS wants to hire him.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to TV