Victims of this Stupid Writer's Strike

Postby Briandong79 » 18 Dec 2007, 10:38

So Conan and Leno are coming back, with Conan even releasing a statement that he knows his show is going to suck but he has to come back to keep the 80 people that work on the shows employed. Rough position to be in.

Worldwide Pants, Letterman's company, is negotiating separately with the WGA to see if they can bring the writers back in. They better work fast, because I can't imagine they want to lose ground to new Leno episodes.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Frank the Tank » 18 Dec 2007, 10:41

Briandean79 wrote:So Conan and Leno are coming back, with Conan even releasing a statement that he knows his show is going to suck but he has to come back to keep the 80 people that work on the shows employed. Rough position to be in.

The official WGA statement was one of begrduging acceptance of Leno's and Conan's actions. They were conciliatory, and understood the pressures they're under. However NBC Nightly News was interviewing the rank and file on the picket lines and those writers were PISSED. Leno may not want to drive his nicer cars to work for a while. Something with a hard top that can withstand multiple eggings is recommended.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby IhateTomBrady » 18 Dec 2007, 20:26

Frank the Tank wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:So Conan and Leno are coming back, with Conan even releasing a statement that he knows his show is going to suck but he has to come back to keep the 80 people that work on the shows employed. Rough position to be in.

The official WGA statement was one of begrduging acceptance of Leno's and Conan's actions. They were conciliatory, and understood the pressures they're under. However NBC Nightly News was interviewing the rank and file on the picket lines and those writers were PISSED. Leno may not want to drive his nicer cars to work for a while. Something with a hard top that can withstand multiple eggings is recommended.

The writers should just get the fuck over it then. Leno and Conan don't want to cross the picket line but there are other non-WGA staff whose families are suffering because of this strike. It'd be a total douche move to egg Leno's car because of that. He deserve his car egged for many other reasons however.
IhateTomBrady
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Dec 2007, 09:22

IhateTomBrady wrote: He deserve his car egged for many other reasons however.

1. not having a good monologue since O.J. took up golf.

2. "i don't spend my tonight show money"
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Briandong79 » 29 Dec 2007, 01:19

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35169

Letterman pulled it off, he'll be back on with writers. It'll be interesting to see if this has any impact on the strike in a larger scale.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Brick Tamland » 29 Dec 2007, 11:15

Simmons's podcast with Kimmel this week was interesting... you can tell Jimmy's a bit anxious about going back to work without his writers, both from a performing standpoint as well as from a "trying to respect the strike" standpoint... because of the strike he can't even write material for himself.
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Feb 2008, 16:36

The strike may be over very very soon. Let's hope this story doesn't have one of those surprise twists at the end.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Prison Mike » 07 Feb 2008, 20:18

Frank the Tank wrote:The strike may be over very very soon. Let's hope this story doesn't have one of those surprise twists at the end.

Eisner says the strike is over.

It isn't all good news for the writers though:

As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they'd had as individuals with the studios, Eisner said.
Prison Mike
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Feb 2008, 08:52

Prison Mike wrote:
Frank the Tank wrote:The strike may be over very very soon. Let's hope this story doesn't have one of those surprise twists at the end.

Eisner says the strike is over.

It isn't all good news for the writers though:

As a result of studio cutbacks, however, many of the writers who went on strike are unlikely to return to the same big-money contracts they'd had as individuals with the studios, Eisner said.

Eisner seemed to contradict himself in that article though. While the chief negotiators shook on it that doesn't mean dick until WGA West and East get their presentations tomorrow. If they don't like it then we're back at square one. Of course they're probably so desperate for a paycheck they're likely to approve ending the strike immediately, but I hesitate to count these chickens before they hatch.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 08 Feb 2008, 09:26

they may want to consider ending the strike. People are finding other shit to do, like they did with the sports strikes of the past years, NHL, MLB.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Frank the Tank » 08 Feb 2008, 10:41

Here's a slightly more balanced article than the Eisner one. I think Eisner was just trying to put public pressure on the WGA by making it look like they'd be idiots to say no. He wants the writers to look like absolute scum if the strike drags on.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby firstborn » 11 Feb 2008, 00:59

jack_daniels - Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm: i disappointed a lot of chicks over the years, wouldnt be surprised
firstborn
Site Admin

Postby Briandong79 » 11 Feb 2008, 12:03

Hayden P. has said that Heroes won't return until the Fall, so it looks like that one is done for awhile. In that show's case, given the weakness of the first batch of episodes, I'm fine with them taking some time to rethink and retool the show a bit.

Lost will be interesting. Who knows if they got to a logical stopping point in the episodes they filmed? They weren't planning on being back in the fall anyhow, so they could show the remaining episodes of this season then, and then start the new season back up at the originally scheduled time.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Feb 2008, 14:45

Briandean79 wrote:
Hayden P. has said that Heroes won't return until the Fall, so it looks like that one is done for awhile.

Hayden's doing the talking for the heroes writers? uh-oh.

I read in EW this week that they had 3 in the can, but weren't sure they wanted to air them, it all depended on how NBC is going to use their "scabisodes" of American Gladiators, deal or no deal, biggest loser, etc. If they stretch them out, Heroes will wait until fall. If they just run them until they're done, heroes might have a short arc of episodes in May.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 Feb 2008, 14:47

SouthernYokel wrote:I read in EW this week that they had 3 in the can, but weren't sure they wanted to air them, it all depended on how NBC is going to use their "scabisodes" of American Gladiators, deal or no deal, biggest loser, etc. If they stretch them out, Heroes will wait until fall. If they just run them until they're done, heroes might have a short arc of episodes in May.

I thought the article said that there were none in the can, but they thought they could put three together by the end of the season? Heroes needs more post-production work than most other hour-long dramas because of the fx.

Waiting for next season also lets Zachary Quinto finish shooting Star Trek XXXVIII so he can come back as Sylar without skipping a beat.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to TV