Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 21 Mar 2017, 13:04

ctz31 wrote:Could you guys BE missing anyone more obvious for this list?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Image



He comes in 72nd. One spot behind Arnold Horschack.
User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18368
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby TheWolf » 21 Mar 2017, 13:06

ctz31 wrote:Could you guys BE missing anyone more obvious for this list?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Image


Not that Ms. Chandandler Bong actually belongs in this discussion, but he does make me think..

I need a verdict on shows that don't really have a single main character, like Friends. Is everyone a supporting character? Are there 6 main characters and everyone else is supporting? Honestly I think the same could be said for Seinfeld if the show wasn't named after him, but I guess that's enough to make him the clear main character and the others supporting.

I've admittedly only seen a season and a half of Sunny, but I think Charlie falls into this category too. Who's the "main" character in that show? Aren't there 4 main characters? Does Charlie even qualify for this list?
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18396
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Mar 2017, 13:08

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:
ctz31 wrote:Could you guys BE missing anyone more obvious for this list?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Image



He comes in 72nd. One spot behind Arnold Horschack.


Is everyone a supporting character in an ensemble comedy or no one?

Take, for instance, Big Bang Theory. While none of them belong on this list, where do you draw the line? Are Sheldon, Leonard, and Penny the core three, making Howard and Raj eligible? Are Howard and Raj in the core? Are Amy and Bernadette ineligible since they were promoted to regulars?

Edit: goddamn you Wolf. I saw you posted as I hit "submit" on this one and just kept going because I didn't to waste all my typing. Fucknut.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31556
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Mar 2017, 13:09

TheWolf wrote:
ctz31 wrote:Could you guys BE missing anyone more obvious for this list?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Image


Not that Ms. Chandandler Bong actually belongs in this discussion, but he does make me think..

I need a verdict on shows that don't really have a single main character, like Friends. Is everyone a supporting character? Are there 6 main characters and everyone else is supporting? Honestly I think the same could be said for Seinfeld if the show wasn't named after him, but I guess that's enough to make him the clear main character and the others supporting.

I've admittedly only seen a season and a half of Sunny, but I think Charlie falls into this category too. Who's the "main" character in that show? Aren't there 4 main characters? Does Charlie even qualify for this list?


when it first started i would call friends an "ensemble cast" and everyone is supporting. but by the end that garbage was a Schwimmer/Aniston romcom and the rest were supporting.

always sunny would be a good example of an ensemble cast where everyone qualifies as supporting actor.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29808
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 21 Mar 2017, 13:32

Friends is definitely an ensemble cast. Remember they all went into the NBC execs office together to demand that they all get a mil per ep, even useless Phoebe?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31045
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Dthefritz » 21 Mar 2017, 20:49

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:the amazing thing about swanson is i don't even really like parks & rec. i'm basically sitting through 20 minutes of boredom waiting for him to say something.


That's exactly how I feel about Cox and Scrubs. It's a terrible show but hey Cox said something funny again! Though they also did a good job of objectifying women.

This is exactly how I feel about Friends except for the one funny character who redeems it part.

Also I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I honestly thought Jeffrey Tambor was funnier on AD than Will Arnett. Not to take away anything from GOB, who's of course brilliant, but that's my taek and I'm sticking to it.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 7467
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Mar 2017, 20:53

Dthefritz wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:the amazing thing about swanson is i don't even really like parks & rec. i'm basically sitting through 20 minutes of boredom waiting for him to say something.


That's exactly how I feel about Cox and Scrubs. It's a terrible show but hey Cox said something funny again! Though they also did a good job of objectifying women.

This is exactly how I feel about Friends except for the one funny character who redeems it part.

Also I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I honestly thought Jeffrey Tambor was funnier on AD than Will Arnett. Not to take away anything from GOB, who's of course brilliant, but that's my taek and I'm sticking to it.


To me, AD is like the Simpsons discussion earlier, the supporting people are so good that it makes it really tough to rank one of them distinctively better. Gun to my head, I would go GOB but between him, George, Tobias, and Buster, that's a hell of a line up.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Dthefritz » 21 Mar 2017, 20:58

Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:the amazing thing about swanson is i don't even really like parks & rec. i'm basically sitting through 20 minutes of boredom waiting for him to say something.


That's exactly how I feel about Cox and Scrubs. It's a terrible show but hey Cox said something funny again! Though they also did a good job of objectifying women.

This is exactly how I feel about Friends except for the one funny character who redeems it part.

Also I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I honestly thought Jeffrey Tambor was funnier on AD than Will Arnett. Not to take away anything from GOB, who's of course brilliant, but that's my taek and I'm sticking to it.


To me, AD is like the Simpsons discussion earlier, the supporting people are so good that it makes it really tough to rank one of them distinctively better. Gun to my head, I would go GOB but between him, George, Tobias, and Buster, that's a hell of a line up.

Yes but I think most everyone goes GOB gun to their head. Mayyyyybe tobias. I dunno.

And while he's nobody's #1, i think George Michael has been hurt retroactively in the power rankings by Michael Cera's post AD career.
User avatar
Dthefritz
tl;dr
 
Posts: 7467
Joined: 30 Nov 2006, 01:35
Location: In the green, never in between

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Mar 2017, 09:45

Dthefritz wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:the amazing thing about swanson is i don't even really like parks & rec. i'm basically sitting through 20 minutes of boredom waiting for him to say something.


That's exactly how I feel about Cox and Scrubs. It's a terrible show but hey Cox said something funny again! Though they also did a good job of objectifying women.

This is exactly how I feel about Friends except for the one funny character who redeems it part.

Also I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I honestly thought Jeffrey Tambor was funnier on AD than Will Arnett. Not to take away anything from GOB, who's of course brilliant, but that's my taek and I'm sticking to it.


To me, AD is like the Simpsons discussion earlier, the supporting people are so good that it makes it really tough to rank one of them distinctively better. Gun to my head, I would go GOB but between him, George, Tobias, and Buster, that's a hell of a line up.

Yes but I think most everyone goes GOB gun to their head. Mayyyyybe tobias. I dunno.

And while he's nobody's #1, i think George Michael has been hurt retroactively in the power rankings by Michael Cera's post AD career.


very true, when i go back and watch AD now i am always impressed with Cera because my opinion has been lowered by every other thing i've seen of him. GOB is my favorite, followed by Lucille (1).
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29808
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Frank the Tank » 30 Mar 2017, 16:14

Watched the first four eps of Making History, the new Fox comedy with Adam Pally from Happy Endings. It's amusing. I'll probably stick with it but it's a far cry from Happy Endings. Soft rec. Very soft.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31556
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby TheWolf » 30 Mar 2017, 23:28

Going back to the supporting characters discussion... I know he's not even the best supporting character on his own show, but you know who's fucking incredible? Butters. At some point they decided to make Randy the butter to Catman's bread, and I can't really argue with the results. But Butters was just the absolute balls for a while there.

NOTE: I said the bread and butter thing, then realized it was probably a bad unintended pun since I was talking about Butters, then realized I don't care enough to change it but do care enough to comment about it. I have no point. I should drink less.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18396
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby Theny » 15 Apr 2017, 15:04

I watched Falling Skies on Amazon. All 5 season in like 12 days. Fantastic show.
User avatar
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy
 
Posts: 30547
Joined: 10 Jun 2005, 10:55

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby chrisco » 15 Apr 2017, 17:44

Theny wrote:I watched Falling Skies on Amazon. All 5 season in like 12 days. Fantastic show.

Noice!
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12214
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby chrisco » 27 Apr 2017, 21:06

Catching up on Empire, Cookie goon handing her kids is hilarious
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12214
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Random Thoughts - TV Edition

Postby TheWolf » 15 May 2017, 08:51

Yesterday someone was telling me I need to check out a show on AMC called The Son. Before I check it out, I would like to know if any... sons... have seen this and would co-sign the rec.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18396
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

PreviousNext

Return to TV

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest