Game of Thrones

Re: Song of Ice and Fire to HBO

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 16 Jun 2011, 12:28

Khal Drogo is cast as the lead in the new Conan movie.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby SouthernYokel » 16 Jun 2011, 12:42

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Khal Drogo is cast as the lead in the new Conan movie.

[photo of rumsfeld that i'm too lazy to find and then put on photobucket][/photo]

yokel wrote:The Viserys kid that's trying to peddle his way to the throne...he's pretty dumb. Seems like he's going to get demolished by at least 3 separate factions. also...it was weird to me that his sister had less of a problem with him feeling her up than Conan the Barbarian doing it. I spent the second half hour trying to figure out where i knew him from...anyone remember the Melrose Place ripoff called North Shore? He was the bartender. and now he's conan the barbarian. 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger would snap him in 2.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Theny » 16 Jun 2011, 18:35

something that's been bugging me about littlefinger...why did he go to all that trouble to get Ned to find out the truth about Joffrey? Ned was literally on his way out of town anyways. just seemed really unneccessary, and now it's just a big giant hassle fighting basically a civil war.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby Dunking Donut » 16 Jun 2011, 20:47

Theny wrote:something that's been bugging me about littlefinger...why did he go to all that trouble to get Ned to find out the truth about Joffrey? Ned was literally on his way out of town anyways. just seemed really unneccessary, and now it's just a big giant hassle fighting basically a civil war.

He has a thing for his wife. And other motivations which will become more clear in future seasons.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 19 Jun 2011, 21:38

Great first season. There is no way HBO completes this though.

I was pleased that they included Arrya's chapter from Book 2 in the finale for season one. It wouldn't have made sense to not have here in this episode.

The debut of Hot Pie.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Theny » 20 Jun 2011, 22:57

how many seasons should it take?

badass ending to season 1 with danerys.
Theny
Anchor Baby Daddy

Postby SouthernYokel » 21 Jun 2011, 07:40

the books aren't finished yet. and they get longer. so there's at least 7 seasons of material probably...and depending on how successful it is they might pull a tru blood and turn 1/2 of a book into a whole season.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby chrisco » 21 Jun 2011, 08:42

SouthernYokel wrote:the books aren't finished yet. and they get longer. so there's at least 7 seasons of material probably...and depending on how successful it is they might pull a tru blood and turn 1/2 of a book into a whole season.

I could also see them ditching large parts of book 4 if people are not into the newer characters that get introduced in seasons 2 and 3. There is still plenty in book 4 to make a season out of.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Jun 2011, 08:44

SouthernYokel wrote:the books aren't finished yet. and they get longer. so there's at least 7 seasons of material probably...and depending on how successful it is they might pull a tru blood and turn 1/2 of a book into a whole season.

The mention of Tru Blood reminds me, for those who are watching the show, how pissed would those of you who have read the whole series be if they deviated from the books in a major way (certain characters live in the book and die on the show, or vice versa) as True Blood has apparently done?
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby chrisco » 21 Jun 2011, 08:55

Briandong79 wrote:

The mention of Tru Blood reminds me, for those who are watching the show, how pissed would those of you who have read the whole series be if they deviated from the books in a major way (certain characters live in the book and die on the show, or vice versa) as True Blood has apparently done?

Depends on how its done. You could change major plot points or characters and still resolve the overall story in the same way. There are a few arcs that cannot be changed without affecting the outcome, but there are plenty of characters that are ultimately expendable.

I could see a couple justifications for it like an actor leaving the show before their character dies, the series catching up to the author's output, or HBO deciding it's too expensive to produce and wanting to put some closure on the story.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 23 Jun 2011, 15:55

I watched the whole series over the past week and a half or so. Love this series. I enjoyed not knowing what was going to happen, not having read the books. However, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wait for season two and may break down and read the books. To those of you who have read through the whole series, how much better (if at all) was the book than the series? If I read it, should I make sure to read the first book anyways since it's different in some places than the series?
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 23 Jun 2011, 16:09

I'm only 60% of the way through book 3. (aside: well played, GRRM, well played)

I think you should read the first. It fleshes the story out a great deal.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Dunking Donut » 23 Jun 2011, 19:28

The books are better. I thought 3 was the best, 4 the worst (essentially 1/2 a book). The bombshells just keep coming.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 24 Jun 2011, 08:10

chrisco wrote:
Dunking Donut wrote:
chrisco wrote:Chrisco's Character Power Rankings:

1. Tyrion Lannister - Peter DInklage is head and shoulders :corn: above everyone in this cast. He's got the best character to work with, but he also does a perfect job of playing him. He really matches up to how I pictured him in the book. The best part is that this guy is just getting warmed up. Season 2 antics from him will be great.

2. Khal Drogo - He started slow with the brooding and grunting, but now that his horsemen are sacking villages and getting ready to fuck Westeros up he's been entertaining as hell. Dave Navarro has redeemed himself for the last 10 years of shitty Jane's reunions and reality TV shows.

3. Robert Baratheon - Wasn't a big fan of him in the books, but the show has made him a lot more likeable. I give credit to the fat guy (Mark Addy) for this.

4. Littlefinger - Runs a whore house, deals in betrayal, and is on screen for a lot of the nudity in the show. Not bad for a former mayor of Baltimore.

5. Syrio Forel - Robert Downey Jr plays him perfectly. Its too bad we lost the first sword of Braavos (or Tyroshi I can't remember) in the last ep.

6. Cersei - I am feeling her.

7. Daenerys - I am feeling her as well.

8. Ned Stark - Good job being the noble noble that everyone shits on.

98. The Arryns. I think they cast the broad from a stack of LOTR elven rejects. The kid is annoying too.

99. Sansa Stark - Take the stick out of your ass.

100. Viserys Targaryen - I was looking forward to him dying for like 4 episodes. Couldn't have come soon enough.

No love for Jon, Arya, and Sam? My favorite characters!

I wasn't a big fan of Viserys in the book but Harry Lloyd killed it on the show.

Its early for Arya. I didn't like her until the second book. Jon is alright but he is still in his whiny bitch phase and Sam takes forever to become interesting.

Everytime I saw Viserys, I thought it was Russell Brand with a bad dye job.

With the disclaimer that I haven't read the book, I think Arya was one of the great characters this season. There's no doubt that Tyrion is #1, miles ahead of #2. Sansa's useless so far, but Arya belonged in the top five I think. Jamie and Cersei don't do a thing for me. They seem bland.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Prez » 07 Jul 2011, 10:05

I'm in for this series. I have the entire first season (in HD) on my laptop. I haven't read the books so I hope I can follow along.

I'll see you on the other side.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

PreviousNext

Return to TV