Dunk's Official Anime Thread

Re: Dunk's Official Anime Thread

Postby Dunking Donut » 09 Apr 2013, 11:33

Spring 2013 Anime Review Time

After reviewing about 20 titles that have come out for the spring season, I wanted to give you, my faithful readers, some recommendations for your viewing pleasure.

First up is Aku No Hana (Flowers of Evil).

The basic premise is that a loner kid into books (Charles Beaudelaire's Flowers Of Evil, appropriately enough) is obsessing over the class hottie. The weird girl in class catches him after school stealing some personal items from the hot girl. Supposedly some dark shit happens after that. The original source material is supposed to be very dark and disturbing. A lot of fans have been very unhappy with the adaptation because it uses rotoscoping and a lot of creepy sounds to add to the effect. There's minimal dialogue. I haven't read the original manga but I thought it was cool. I haven't seen anything really like it.

Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

Sometime in the far future, humanity was destroyed and they live in these protected fortresses. These Titans run around on the outside of the walls. They're basically these huge monsters that kind of look human-ish. There's been a standoff for a hundred years but then these really big Titans break through and start destroying everything and eating humans. This is pretty much the biggest thing in manga in Japan right now. So expect this on the anime block on Cartoon Network in a couple years after enough shows have been produced.

Suisei No Gargantia (Gagantia On The Verduous Planet)

In the future, humans have expanded in the galaxy. We're fighting a huge war. During the conflict a soldier gets knocked way off course in the galaxy through a black hole to Earth. After a whole bunch of time, Earth is covered in water and scavenged by relatively primitive humans who were supposed to be extinct. Hijinx ensue. A kind of lame setup to what promises to be a pretty cool show dealing with environment issues, humanity, fitting in and stuff like that. It's written by Gen Urobochi who's written a ton of good stuff in the past 5 years with art by Production IG. His nickname is Urobutcher because so many people die, usually unexpectedly.

Here's Urobutcher bingo. I'm expecting to win. Pretty much 75% of this will be covered somehow.

jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 09 Jul 2013, 09:56

Summer anime has started. Kotaku has a preview. I'll give my recommendations next week -- try to contain yourself.

http://kotaku.com/all-of-summer-2013s-n ... -684318942
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Apr 2015, 13:18

I never reviewed 2014?! WTF, I'm a slacker, especially now that the winter 2015 season is finishing up. For someone that has an official thread and HOF credentials, this is an embarrassment.

Here are my recommendations for the 2014 season. A show has to start, not necessarily conclude, in the 2014 year.

10. Engaged to the Unidentified. Fun little show about a typical girl, that due to an accident, is promised to be married to a dog spirit/god when she becomes older. Hijinks ensue.

9. Haikyuu. A sports anime about rivals who join the same volleyball team and put aside their difference to focus on teamwork and become successful. It takes the typical anime sports formula but does it well and realistically.

8. Shirobako. An anime about people making anime. Lots of inside jokes and references to real events and people. Surprisingly hasn't been done before. There's a lot of feel good stuff but does capture the insane conditions of the industry.

7. Silver Spoon. A young man transfers as far away as he can from his domineering father. That leads him to a farming high school in Hokkaido. Problem is, he knows nothing about farming. He meets a lot of interesting people and starts figuring his life out.

6.Knights of Sidonia. The Earth was destroyed by mysterious creatures called Gauna. Humans flee in spaceships and create mechs and fight them in space and the battle continues hundreds of years later where, seemingly, humans are down to one last ship. What's interesting is that it's done with CGI. Available on Netflix.

5. Barakamon. An aspiring calligrapher gets in some trouble and decides to move to a remote island in Japan to focus on his art. There he meets a lot of unique people who influence him in unexpected ways. Heartwarming slice of life.

4. World Conquest Zvezda Plot. Explores the idea of what if an 8 year old who dreamed of conquering the world had the superpowers and followers to actually do it?

3. Your Lie In April. A teenage piano genius stops playing after his mother dies. After meeting a young violist, his heart wakes up. Will he play again and what doesn't he know about her?

2. Parasyte. Organisms fall from space and invade humans causing them to kill and eat. A parasyte tries to enter Shinichi but enters his arm instead, where they are forced to co-exist and fight off the other parasystes and humans that are coming after them.

1. Ping Pong. Rival schools compete across Japan to win the annual ping pong tournament. We look inside members of each team. What's interesting about this show is that we study the motivations of the people and why they need to compete, not that they're playing a sport at all. It's directed by Masaaki Yuuasa so the animation is really unique and has a great soundtrack, too. This clearly stood out from what everybody else did last year. It's a must see even if you don't give a shit about the genre or medium. It was fucking crazy.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Prez » 01 Apr 2015, 13:30

Do any of those involve cartoons fucking with the dirty parts blurry/blocked out?
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Dunking Donut » 01 Apr 2015, 13:33

Prez wrote:Do any of those involve cartoons fucking with the dirty parts blurry/blocked out?

No, man. I'm serious business about my chinese animus.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 30 Sep 2015, 12:06

Summer 2015 Review

This was a particularly good season, probably one of the best in years, with a number of really strong shows from start to finish. But none were probably excellent/all-time classics for various reasons.

Honorable Mention:

Charlotte

Young people during puberty develop unusual abilities; superpowers. A group forms to help because much of the time the power has a serious mental/physical impact over time to the person it infects. The series was created by Jun Maeda who had a lot of success with feelgood shows such as Clannad and Angle Beats. Most of the show is episodic dealing with high schoolers helping people. Except the last few episodes where we really do get some X-Men, government, bad guy shit goes down which ruins the first 10 epiosdes of the series and invalidates it. Looks good, though.

5)

Overlord

Standard fare of a person being trapped in a video game world. Does a much better job than usual on the impacts of being in 'character' (undead) and also a unique twist of being the bad guy.

4)

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa (Actually, I am)

Boy in high school discovers a girl he likes is a vampire. He has to keep her secret. Romantic hijinks ensue. Also, apparently half the school (okay, cute girls in school) are some kind of weird monsters who like him but he doesn't notice because vampire girl is adorbs. Of course, she has no idea.

3)

Prison School

Built on the most absurd premise based in lack of response to his last manga, Prison School is about 5 weird guys who get sent to a prison at school by the student council for peeking on girls in the locker room. The anime covers their battle to escape so they can participate in the school festival where there is a wet t-shirt contest for student. Naturally, the girls are over the top (one has a piss fetish, the other has huge tits, for example). The drama is used for comedic affect and unusual situations had watchers guessing what would happen next. The constant censoring proved frustrating but fans are waiting for the blu-ray releases which are promised to be un-censored.

2)

Gate

Another more common story where a hole into another world opens up. This time in Japan where the Self-Defense goes through and kicks some ass and then starts working to make a deal on how to exploit it for minerals/assets. Does a much better job than normal on dealing with politics - how does Russia and the US get in on this? What are the politics of the world; do they want peace or try to make alliances to bide time? Of course, you have guys that are nerds that can do everything, cute elf girls, cat girls, girls that want to ride main character's dick for no reason. But it's fun and there's some good world building.

1)

Gakko-Gurashi (School-Live)

I can't reveal too much but basically I surprised as fuck. Really well done. Nice drama, good art and sound effects. It's been a while since I did see something coming multiple times in an anime. Easily best show of the season.

What I thought I was getting:

What I got:
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 15 Jan 2016, 10:00

Just going to put this here in case anyone wants to do some shopping for Dunk:
http://kotaku.com/life-sized-anime-scho ... 1753133760
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dunking Donut » 17 Jan 2017, 11:02

Best of 2016 Awards

With your host, Dunking Donut.

We had a great year with a ton of releases as the industry continues to grow thanks to the expansion of nerd culture and men embracing 2D waifus and abandoning 3D. If you read the BITCHES thread, you can see why. No waifu, no laifu, I always say. With that in mind, I'd like to nominate my top 5 shows of the year so they can go completely ignored as usual. I look forward to another year where folks say they are geeks by seeing a couple of comic book movies. :evil:

Honorable Mention

SOUND! Euphonium Season 2
Another season of cute girls doing cute things, but in a concert band in high school, this show dominated the ratings on all the Internet sites. Stellar animation for KyoAni (that Kyoto Animation for you casuals), a great sound track, and plenty of yuri-baiting for otaku, it was a big hit. What failed to move it into my top 5 was a slog in the middle of the season in attempting to force irrelevant secondary characters and side-plots to drag it out for full-season.

COUNTDOWN TO GREATNESS, BABY

#5. MY HERO ACADEMIA
Basically, this is a Japanese take on an American superhero show like Teen Titans. Pretty well done overall and getting a second season starting in April

#4. FUNE WO AMU (THE GREAT PASSAGE)
A more adult oriented show about a group developing and writing a new version of a Japanese dictionary. Yeah, a show about adults for adults, whodda thunk it?

#3. MOB PSYCHO 100
A fun, unique show about a boring kid that has psychic powers. He gets pulled into zany adventures by a misfit cast of characters. It has a weird sense of humor. This is done by the same guy who wrote One Punch Man so it has a cult following. Really unusual style for an anime.

#2. SHOWA GENROKU RAKUGO SHINJUU (SHOWA ERO, RAKUGO, AND DOUBLE-SUICIDE)
A story covering nearly 40 years covering rakugo history (basically, single person storytelling where the teller does all the voices). This has it all, romance, suicide, politics, alluded to gay-love, mobsters, you name it. It starts off with a near 20 minute animated performance with the main character telling a traditional story. Can't go wrong with all that good stuff in it.

Drum roll please.......

#1.FLIP FLAPPERS
My number one show of the year. An allegory for finding yourself and sexual discovery, Flip Flappers was a treat. Visually stimulating with unique stories that leave a lot open to interpretation, Flip Flappers was a wild ride that explored the world of Pure Illusion from week to week and gave the viewer just enough to figure out what was happening but there was still enough on the table to have your own interpretation of events. An original story, it wasn't for everybody and it sold poorly. But personally, I found it to be a unique show that took a lot of risks and rewarded the viewer who stuck with it.

Thanks for reading. \:D/
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 18 Jan 2017, 20:45

By request, here are the top shows on US Netflix as of Jan 2017.

Recommended:
Knights of Sidonia (Sci-Fi). Set thousands of years in the future, pilots battle the mysterious Guana.
Mushishi (Drama). A traveler exorcises mysterious beings/ghosts
Silver Spoon (Slice of Life). A young man goes off to agriculture school in Hokkaido to learn about himself
Durara (Action). The first season. A bunch of interesting people get in adventures in Ikebukuro in Tokyo
Your Lie In April (Drama). A boy who can no longer play piano meets a girl that wants him to play again.
Kill La Kill (Action). School girls fight wearing magical suits.
DeathNote (Mystery). A boy gets a notebook that he can write the name of someone and it kills them.

Honorable Mention:
Gargantia on the Verduous Planet (Sci-fi). A space pilot crash lands in watery planet.
Sword Art Online (Sci-fi). Gamers are stuck/transported in a virtual world and have to get out.
Fate/Stay Night (Action). A fight for the Holy Grail in Tokyo.
Yuuki Yuna Is A Hero (Action). School girls battle monsters to protect the world.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby BigJohnStudd » 18 Jan 2017, 22:02

Is Detroit Smash the otaku equivalent of Hassan Chop?
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jan 2017, 16:10

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Dunking Donut » 30 Jan 2017, 16:40

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Image

I might go full Farva with that kind of executive action! I nearly clutched my pearls!
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Previous

Return to TV