mister bacon's powerful (...or haunting) film thread

mister bacon's powerful (...or haunting) film thread

Postby mister bacon » 10 May 2010, 15:38

as mentioned in the box, here is a new thread about powerful films.. so i guess this thread is about dramas.

one movie i always liked was jacob's ladder. it always catches me off guard with its imagery and pacing. i love the way it flips between the scenes in vietnam and in the hospital. the end rules. so here it is, post some stuff about powerful films.

have at it.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Re: mister bacon's powerful (...or haunting) film thread

Postby 700 Level » 10 May 2010, 15:51

mister bacon wrote:as mentioned in the box, here is a new thread about powerful films.. so i guess this thread is about dramas.

one movie i always liked was jacob's ladder. it always catches me off guard with its imagery and pacing. i love the way it flips between the scenes in vietnam and in the hospital. the end rules. so here it is, post some stuff about powerful films.

have at it.

You posted a movie I find powerful AND haunting, well done. I really liked Jacob's Ladder too, it's more unsettling than scary, but it's one of those movies that sticks with you. Which I guess is the definition of haunting. Either way, great movie.
"It's insane, this guy's taint!"
700 Level
Another dude worth meeting

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 11 May 2010, 13:59

my favorite dramas are 25th hour and american beauty. i dont know if i have any others. Thanks
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Frank the Tank » 11 May 2010, 14:05

Two Girls One Cup was both powerful and haunting.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby mister bacon » 11 May 2010, 14:10

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:my favorite dramas are 25th hour and american beauty. i dont know if i have any others. Thanks

bostonsucksmyballs, please elaborate re 25th hour. what did you like about it? what made it powerful?

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 11 May 2010, 14:21

mister bacon wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:my favorite dramas are 25th hour and american beauty. i dont know if i have any others. Thanks

bostonsucksmyballs, please elaborate re 25th hour. what did you like about it? what made it powerful?

I like Ed Norton. i like the way its shot, with like, slower paced - deliberate camerwork. Mary B Minus D'Annunzio is good. Phil Seymour Hoff saying he liked DJ Dusk's earlier work was powerfully hilarious.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby ComplexLitigations » 19 May 2010, 21:41

Powerful like...Crash?
nasty nova wrote:I watched Dumb and Dumber three times a day for an entire summer when it was on PPV at my friend's house.
ComplexLitigations
Bruce Dickinson

Postby nova » 20 May 2010, 08:32

ComplexLitigations wrote:Powerful like...Crash?

I think Crash would have been a lot more powerful if it was 10,000,000% more subtle. I liked the movie, but I think they went a bit too far trying to hammer home the message of the movie.

Gran Torino, on the other hand, handled the message a little bit better. Maybe it was the realism of the characters, but it seemed that I enjoyed Eastwood's casual racism and that thick Asian actress a hell of a lot more than the high profile star power of Crash.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby the cheese » 20 May 2010, 08:58

nasty nova wrote:

I think Crash would have been a lot more powerful if it was 10,000,000% more subtle. I liked the movie, but I think they went a bit too far trying to hammer home the message of the movie.

Gran Torino, on the other hand, handled the message a little bit better. Maybe it was the realism of the characters, but it seemed that I enjoyed Eastwood's casual racism and that thick Asian actress a hell of a lot more than the high profile star power of Crash.

Crash would have been a legit movie if Ludacris had been the producer and terrance howard the gangbanger.
Clayton Bigsby - Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm: i'd rather live with a guy who's kind of annoying but a nice guy than a guy who's kind of annoying and a dick
the cheese
The Douche

Postby ComplexLitigations » 20 May 2010, 11:32

nasty nova wrote:

Yeah. Crash simply just tried too hard. Plus they DID enforce a lot of racial stereotypes which doesn't help. They had black people stealing, asian people getting into car crashes, arabs failing to understand english, etc.
nasty nova wrote:I watched Dumb and Dumber three times a day for an entire summer when it was on PPV at my friend's house.
ComplexLitigations
Bruce Dickinson

Postby Briandong79 » 14 Jun 2010, 21:20

I'd put The Road up for nomination in this thread. Depressing as hell but very well made and beautifully shot, I don't know exactly how much CGI they had to do to make earth look depressing but they did an awfully good job.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Rodney Farva » 30 Jun 2010, 05:17

mentioned already in the movies you've seen recently thread, but the lovely bones definitely belongs in this. maybe the level of power/haunting is a sliding one, parents of girls>>>parents of boys>>>>>>>>people with no kids, but damn, that one kind of rips you up.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby myherobobhope » 04 Jul 2010, 14:36

President Whitmore wrote:Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
Frank the Tank: If you think highly of humanity as a whole, then you're retarded. There are no exceptions to that rule.
myherobobhope
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby TVF wannabe » 07 Jul 2010, 14:32

I'm nominating Inglorious Basterds.

Brad Pitt was over the top but his character not with standing it's pretty powerful/haunting. The scene at the restaurant with Landa and Shoshana and her breaking down as he leaves was definitely haunting. Her tape playing as the place burned down was as well.

My wife was bothered a little by the the portrayal of Jewish-soldiers mimicking German atrocities and turning into Nazis.

Shoshana was played by a jew Mélanie Laurent, I'll try and post a better pic after work.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby mister bacon » 08 Jul 2010, 00:51

TVF wannabe wrote:The scene at the restaurant with Landa and Shoshana and her breaking down as he leaves was definitely haunting. Her tape playing as the place burned down was as well.

i am kind of tired so i am going to keep this pretty brief (this might also be a rumsfeld) but there is meaning in a jewish artist burning down a theatre full of nazi's. this is almost the ultimate point of the movie (even beyond the literal plotline)

tarantino did a brilliant job of playing with the analogies in this respect. there are many verbal and visual allusions to german/nazi cinema throughout the film. german cinema was considered avant guard in the 30s and 40s. it is now forgotten because of the public's distaste for the artistry of nazi filmaking (reifienstahl was considered ahead of her time back then), combined with the incredible success of so many jewish artists in film which overshadow what the germans achieved. many of these jews who made theses movies came to america after their families left europe fleeing the nazis. the brutality in the cinema symbolizes their destruction and ultimate triumph. it was fantastic.

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Next

Return to Movies