Documentary Thread

Re: Documentary Thread

Postby Rodney Farva » 09 Jan 2017, 17:03

lousy movie selection on the way home so i ended up watching two documentaries, both of which were excellent.

weiner - holy fuck did the guys making this back into a gold mine. fantastic. mostly felt sympathy for the wife, who i thought was pretty damned hot. need to check out this sidney leathers broad he was doing the phone sex with who started doing pr0n when she got attention from the scandal.

the beatles: 8 days a week - directed by ron howard. lots of great footage, i ended up liking this a lot more than i expected. new appreciation for how good they were.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby mj3528 » 09 Jan 2017, 17:43

Rodney Farva wrote:lousy movie selection on the way home so i ended up watching two documentaries, both of which were excellent.

weiner - holy fuck did the guys making this back into a gold mine. fantastic. mostly felt sympathy for the wife, who i thought was pretty damned hot. need to check out this sidney leathers broad he was doing the phone sex with who started doing pr0n when she got attention from the scandal.

the beatles: 8 days a week - directed by ron howard. lots of great footage, i ended up liking this a lot more than i expected. new appreciation for how good they were.

I saw the 8 days a week one. I agree the footage was awesome. Just watching them walk to the stage in San Francisco was really cool for some reason. seemed like it could have been tied together a little better, but I enjoyed it.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby JichaelDick » 11 Jan 2017, 09:06

I'm gonna end up watching this 8 Days a Week doc and end up begrudgingly becoming a Beatles fan, ain't I?

John Lennon was a dickhead.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby TheWolf » 11 Jan 2017, 09:24

Don't let these fucks make you do anything you don't want to do, jike. You are not obligated to like a musical band just because literally every person who ever lived ever likes them.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Rodney Farva » 11 Jan 2017, 09:56

JichaelDick wrote:I'm gonna end up watching this 8 Days a Week doc and end up begrudgingly becoming a Beatles fan, ain't I?

nobody alive can resist the magic of ron howard's pixie dust
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Magnum » 11 Jan 2017, 14:59

JichaelDick wrote:I'm gonna end up watching this 8 Days a Week doc and end up begrudgingly becoming a Beatles fan, ain't I?

What's Yoko like?
Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:49 pm MisterTambourineMan you're salt of the earth, jike. like, a lot of salt.
Magnum
Better Than You

Postby TheWolf » 12 Jan 2017, 08:32

Magnum wrote:

What's Yoko like?

This one really got me. I very nearly spit coffee on my iPad. Good stuff, Mags.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 04 Feb 2017, 02:48

I watched "The Internet's Own Boy" the other day. What a weird film, sad that the kid "hung himself" in the end b/c he downloaded academic papers from a ridiculous gatekeeper website, I am positive that is the full story & there was nothing omitted.
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 04 Feb 2017, 21:54

Mario Speedwagon wrote:I watched "The Internet's Own Boy" the other day. What a weird film, sad that the kid "hung himself" in the end b/c he downloaded academic papers from a ridiculous gatekeeper website, I am positive that is the full story & there was nothing omitted.

Welcome back. Did they address any other pressures he was under? I'm vaguely acquainted with the story. If I had to look outside the case at hand, I'd look at everything. Judging by my interactions with MIT alums like FTT, most couldn't properly rate regional foods if a catfish slapped them in the taint. What if he was trying to form an opinion on deep dish pizza and just melted down?
SY wrote:....but yeah if there's an awkward silence i am definitely filling it with nonsense.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Feb 2017, 10:19

chrisco wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:I watched "The Internet's Own Boy" the other day. What a weird film, sad that the kid "hung himself" in the end b/c he downloaded academic papers from a ridiculous gatekeeper website, I am positive that is the full story & there was nothing omitted.

Welcome back. Did they address any other pressures he was under? I'm vaguely acquainted with the story. If I had to look outside the case at hand, I'd look at everything. Judging by my interactions with MIT alums like FTT, most couldn't properly rate regional foods if a catfish slapped them in the taint. What if he was trying to form an opinion on deep dish pizza and just melted down?

Haters gonna hate. Pepe's 4 lyfe.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 13 Feb 2017, 13:41

Simmons, the WWE and HBO are going to be doing an Andre the Giant documentary together.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby mister bacon » 17 Feb 2017, 13:41

paris is burning

it was very entertaining, i enjoyed it. i watched it with the white for the spectacle (my suggestion) and stayed for the observation of minor bits of sociology and anthropological observations about new york at the close of the dinkins era. aids looms over the whole thing, alluded to in passing. best part hands down was looking at how much of our current slang language originates from those cats. shade, reading for filth, sipping tea.. all that makes its first documented appearance in the film.

The film alternates between colourful ballroom sequences – an acknowledged influence on current hit show RuPaul’s Drag Race – and candid interviews with key scene figures, who address an off-camera Livingston on complex subjects including class; race and racism; wealth; gender orientation; and beauty standards. It’s also endlessly quotable, with characters dispensing terminology that’s since passed into popular parlance. Explaining the concept of ‘shade’, one of the film’s stars, Dorian Corey, purrs memorably: “I don’t have to tell you you’re ugly … I don’t have to tell you because you know you’re ugly. That’s shade.” Its lexical influence is legion. As Daily Dot writer Mary Emily O’Hara pointed out: “If you’ve ever used words like ‘fierce’ or ‘shady’ or commented ‘yassss queen’ or ‘work’ on a cute Instagram pic, you’ve been speaking the language of the ball scene – likely, without ever realising where it came from.”

stuff about the guys getting rejected by their families and walking the streets at 12 and 13 in new york is kind of rough to watch, but a reminder of how far we have come. all these balls had old school house music soundtracks. so lots of phuture, frankie knuckles, junior sanchez. also lots of classic "gay" or "underground" disco to round out the soundtrack.

at the end of the movie they go into voguing and it all comes together into understand just how influential these dudes were. i couldn't help but think about how these very young at risk dudes who had such an outsize influence on our modern culture probably made next to nothing for appearing in the film. there's a small part about one of the girls getting found after getting killed in a skeevy hotel. but these guys and girls seem ebullient on the screen, living for the day. and that's the part i'm going to choose to hang onto.

very high recommendation for chrisco, sjw79, and mtm. hate watch for 31 in a B.O and balls when he starts to feel like he no longer hates his life and wants to feel normal again.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Rodney Farva » 21 Feb 2017, 12:43

we had a screening at the school of Screenagers, a doc about how kids are completely addicted to their phones and computers and parents are struggling to deal with it.

the filmmaker was a parent at our school who left when we arrived, a lot of scenes were shot at our school and we saw friends in it, which was kind of cool. she was connected by skype for a Q&A afterward.

as a parent it's pretty easy to overreact while ignoring the parts that point out how parents are often just as guilty as their kids are of device addiction. not sure there is much new ground here that anyone wouldn't already know, but interesting enough i guess.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Feb 2017, 12:44

Rodney Farva wrote:we had a screening at the school of Screenagers, a doc about how kids are completely addicted to their phones and computers and parents are struggling to deal with it.

the filmmaker was a parent at our school who left when we arrived, a lot of scenes were shot at our school and we saw friends in it, which was kind of cool. she was connected by skype for a Q&A afterward.

as a parent it's pretty easy to overreact while ignoring the parts that point out how parents are often just as guilty as their kids are of device addiction. not sure there is much new ground here that anyone wouldn't already know, but interesting enough i guess.

:19:
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 20 Mar 2017, 08:19

If any cable channel starts playing Hail, Hail Rock n Roll over the next week or two, you should check it out.

It's a documentary filmed around Chuck Berry's 60th birthday concert celebration. Keith Richards put together an all-star band to help honor Chuck Berry for the concert. The movie is one part look at how Chuck Berry got his start, one part rehearsal footage, and one part concert film.

Deleted scene from the movie. Berry, Richards, Eric Clapton and the rest of the band jam out. HOFer Johnnie Johnson tears it up on the keyboards. Audio is out of synch with the video in this clip doe.

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

PreviousNext

Return to Movies