Fletch Recommends...

Fletch Recommends...

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 10:01

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky animals and you know it."

That quote is from the wise Tommy Lee Jones, spoken in the 1997 drama Men In Black. Listen, you might be a beautiful, delicate, genius flower, but collectively, you're all morons, and you turn into wild moronic hyenas when placed inside a Blockbuster (or on Netflix...or, in some people's case, when perusing your local torrent site). You start talking yourselves into shit like Bangkok Dangerous because you heard about some cool scene where Nic Cage gives some dood an Ind_ian Burn until the guy's arm comes off. Or you let your wymyn pick anything with Kate Hudson.

Lucky for you, I'm here to help. In case you haven't heard, I'm a tree-mendous movie :geek:. So, if you're debating between a few movies to watch or just want some general advice (movie-related only, please; if you need to know what to do about an STD you've contracted, the Glimmer Twins are a better resource), post it here.

Disclaimer: No, I haven't seen everything (and while we're here, I'm not a fan of 'classic' movies much, so ask one of our old doods about those if you want), but I have an informed opinion and the ear of loads of movie nerds, so I should still be able to help.

Your welcome.
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Re: Fletch Recommends...

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 13 Jan 2009, 10:17

What are a few of your favorite foreign/non English language movies?
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 10:41

Untouchable wrote:What are a few of your favorite foreign/non English language movies?

Off the top of my head...

Well, you already saw Amelie - that's high up there. Run Lola Run would be my next choice. Additionally, there's the obvious Pan's Labyrinth from a couple years back. Currently, Golden Globe winner Slumdog Millionaire is about half English/half Indian. I'm not much of a martial arts fan, but I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was fantastic. Last year's Persepolis is the best movie about an Iranian girl you'll ever see (and one of last year's best). I also loved Paris, Je t'aime.

_ (and many others) would recommend City of God, but I haven't seen it.

How's that for starters? They trend newer, but, well, so do I.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 13 Jan 2009, 10:56

Fletch, have you seen Hotaru No Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) or Mimi Wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart)? Would these make your list of recommended foreign language films even if they are animated? I assume that they would after recommending Persepolis.

What's your recommendation for an indi movie for people that generally don't like those kinds of movies?
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 13 Jan 2009, 11:12

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
Untouchable wrote:What are a few of your favorite foreign/non English language movies?

Off the top of my head...

Well, you already saw Amelie - that's high up there. Run Lola Run would be my next choice. Additionally, there's the obvious Pan's Labyrinth from a couple years back. Currently, Golden Globe winner Slumdog Millionaire is about half English/half Indian. I'm not much of a martial arts fan, but I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was fantastic. Last year's Persepolis is the best movie about an Iranian girl you'll ever see (and one of last year's best). I also loved Paris, Je t'aime.

_ (and many others) would recommend City of God, but I haven't seen it.

How's that for starters? They trend newer, but, well, so do I.

k will check some these movies out. i saw City of God and thought it was pretty good, another movie that is similar to City of God but in my opinion better is Carandiru. it's less non-stop violence and goes more into the stories of some of the main characters, so it mattered more to me what happened to them.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 11:34

Dunking Donut wrote:Fletch, have you seen Hotaru No Haka (Grave of the Fireflies) or Mimi Wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart)? Would these make your list of recommended foreign language films even if they are animated? I assume that they would after recommending Persepolis.

What's your recommendation for an indi movie for people that generally don't like those kinds of movies?

I've not seen either, Dunk. I can probably count the number of Asian-language (for lack of a better term) movies I've seen on one hand. Not even the TRU classics like Rashomon or Seven Samurai. They're on my mental list.

To answer the second half of your question, though, I would absolutely not exclude a film from a recommended list because it was animated. Shit, Wall*E is one of my top 5 this year, if not at the top.

Good question on the indie movie for non-indie people. Hard to figure exactly what you're looking for (I'm assuming you don't want quirkiness a la Wes Anderson), and it depends on your definition of independent, but what about:

The Usual Suspects (should have already seen)
Lone Star (crime drama, great cast including Chris Cooper, Frances McDormand, McConnaghey)
The Last Seduction (modern noir with Linda Fiorentino)
Red Rock West (same director as the above; another noir...with Nic Cage, even! and I recommend it! :shock: )
The Opposite of Sex (comedy with Christina Ricci as ultimate bitch)
A Scanner Darkly
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Durden » 13 Jan 2009, 12:02

i'm not fletch, but i think amores perros is highly worth recommending. it's iñárritu's debut. he went on to do 21 grams (also very good), and babel (not so much).
i used to be commander and chief of my pimp ship.

2008 Who's Now
BSMB: poor nerf. You had a fine year. One and DUN, yo.
Durden
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 13 Jan 2009, 12:03

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:To answer the second half of your question, though, I would absolutely not exclude a film from a recommended list because it was animated. Shit, Wall*E is one of my top 5 this year, if not at the top.

Are you effing serial? WALL-E sucked dick. I am open to dumb movies like this too, and usually end up liking them. This one was plain dumb dumb.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 12:16

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:To answer the second half of your question, though, I would absolutely not exclude a film from a recommended list because it was animated. Shit, Wall*E is one of my top 5 this year, if not at the top.

Are you effing serial? WALL-E sucked dick. I am open to dumb movies like this too, and usually end up liking them. This one was plain dumb dumb.

Yes, I'm serial, and it's not like I'm alone in thinking that. You didn't like it because it wasn't dumb.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 13 Jan 2009, 13:30

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:

Yes, I'm serial, and it's not like I'm alone in thinking that. You didn't like it because it wasn't dumb.

No dude. Really. It was wack. It was a complete waste of time. I am open minded about all movies. This one was ill, not sick, but retarded.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 13:37

Disagree to agree.

BTW, still waiting on your review of Pluto Nash or whatever horrible movie you love you were gonna send. We'll leave the reviewing of good movies to me :D :mrgreen:
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 13 Jan 2009, 14:26

It was Norbit. Maybe I'll see "Notorious" and review that bad bear for ya

BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby Fletch » 13 Jan 2009, 14:37

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:It was Norbit. Maybe I'll see "Notorious" and review that bad bear for ya

Werd.

To get back on track (somewhat), I'll add that Fletch does not know enough about Notorious just yet to recommend or dis-recommend.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 13 Jan 2009, 14:59

Love the thread.

I'd like some suggestions for viewers who loved Memento more than they probably should've.

I understand Wall-E had the highest tomato meter thingy last year, and that it was universally adored. Whatever it was that made the movie so adorable though was lost on me when I noticed my two kids struggling to stay awake throughout the screening.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 13 Jan 2009, 15:02

I thought Wall*E was solid, though I didn't like it as much as past Pixar movies (The Incredibles & the Toy Story movies, in particular).
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to Movies