Movies You've Seen Recently

Re: Movies You've Seen Recently

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 03 Jan 2018, 21:21

It was better when it was called Ed Wood.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby ctz31 » 04 Jan 2018, 09:33

I got a film in last evening. I perused the Late Shift about the retirement of jon carson and who would be his replacement. Now on the surface, this sounds like a terrible premise for a movie, especially for normal people who don't give a shit about late night television. But i couldn't find anything better, and the title wasn't awful, and it had the pig from misery in it, so i figured what the hell. I gotta say, it was pretty entertaining. I knew nothing about any of this, other than jay ended up at NBC and Dave at CBS, so i was going in fresh. It was actually a pretty interesting story. Assuming all of this is what really happened, and this wasn't a fictional account, developed for entertainment purposes only. I am skeptical that jay snuck into the building to spy on a meeting, but otherwise, everything else SEEMED on the up and up. i liked trying to figure out who some of the actors were playing the main parts too. I don't know who played jay or jon, but i'm pretty sure the dave character i had seen before as the fag brother of jennifer aniston in the breakup that does karate on vinny v. Lotta guys from sein in this too. Russell dowripple, poppy, etc. good film. Would rec. The pig from misery was such a bitch but jay did her dirty in the end.

This made me look up some current late night stuff, and JIMMY FALLON has the tonight show? I mean i knew he did late night, but he's awful. Clips i've watched on youtube he just laughs like a hyena at anything the guest says, and brings nothing to the table. How does that happen? Conan is the obvious choice, and he's on TBS?! Did we know this. Absurd. Network television is dead.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 04 Jan 2018, 09:45

ctz31 wrote:I am skeptical that jay snuck into the building to spy on a meeting

Jay said it happened like that.

Dthefritz wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:Disaster Artist. Pretty good, I doubt it's any good if you've never seen The Room though. Franco does a good Tommy. I enjoy the crew asking the questions throughout that every viewer asks.

Tommy was at a screening I went to once. Dude is a category unto himself.

You went to a screening of The Room? Did you know the maestro himself would be there?

Screening was a poor word choice - last friday of every month a theatre here plays it, and one time I went him and Greg were there. Greg can say he's friends with the guy all he wants, dude clearly realizes this is his cash cow and just milk the weirdo for all its' worth.

Tommy is not in on the joke, 1000% believe that.
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby mj3528 » 04 Jan 2018, 11:08

ctz31 wrote:I got a film in last evening. I perused the Late Shift about the retirement of jon carson and who would be his replacement. Now on the surface, this sounds like a terrible premise for a movie, especially for normal people who don't give a shit about late night television. But i couldn't find anything better, and the title wasn't awful, and it had the pig from misery in it, so i figured what the hell. I gotta say, it was pretty entertaining. I knew nothing about any of this, other than jay ended up at NBC and Dave at CBS, so i was going in fresh. It was actually a pretty interesting story. Assuming all of this is what really happened, and this wasn't a fictional account, developed for entertainment purposes only. I am skeptical that jay snuck into the building to spy on a meeting, but otherwise, everything else SEEMED on the up and up. i liked trying to figure out who some of the actors were playing the main parts too. I don't know who played jay or jon, but i'm pretty sure the dave character i had seen before as the fag brother of jennifer aniston in the breakup that does karate on vinny v. Lotta guys from sein in this too. Russell dowripple, poppy, etc. good film. Would rec. The pig from misery was such a bitch but jay did her dirty in the end.

This made me look up some current late night stuff, and JIMMY FALLON has the tonight show? I mean i knew he did late night, but he's awful. Clips i've watched on youtube he just laughs like a hyena at anything the guest says, and brings nothing to the table. How does that happen? Conan is the obvious choice, and he's on TBS?! Did we know this. Absurd. Network television is dead.

I have never seen this movie all the way through in one sitting, but have basically seen it all in spurts on cable.

It is kind of weird, as it seems campy, but it is interesting. The guy that plays Letterman really cracks me up for some reason.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby BigJohnStudd » 04 Jan 2018, 13:02

mj3528 wrote:
ctz31 wrote:I got a film in last evening. I perused the Late Shift about the retirement of jon carson and who would be his replacement. Now on the surface, this sounds like a terrible premise for a movie, especially for normal people who don't give a shit about late night television. But i couldn't find anything better, and the title wasn't awful, and it had the pig from misery in it, so i figured what the hell. I gotta say, it was pretty entertaining. I knew nothing about any of this, other than jay ended up at NBC and Dave at CBS, so i was going in fresh. It was actually a pretty interesting story. Assuming all of this is what really happened, and this wasn't a fictional account, developed for entertainment purposes only. I am skeptical that jay snuck into the building to spy on a meeting, but otherwise, everything else SEEMED on the up and up. i liked trying to figure out who some of the actors were playing the main parts too. I don't know who played jay or jon, but i'm pretty sure the dave character i had seen before as the fag brother of jennifer aniston in the breakup that does karate on vinny v. Lotta guys from sein in this too. Russell dowripple, poppy, etc. good film. Would rec. The pig from misery was such a bitch but jay did her dirty in the end.

I have never seen this movie all the way through in one sitting, but have basically seen it all in spurts on cable.

It is kind of weird, as it seems campy, but it is interesting. The guy that plays Letterman really cracks me up for some reason.

Weirdly, the book of this is not available as a ebook, legal or otherwise, as far as I can tell. I've been inching though the followup, about Leno and Conan, on my Nook for years. It's pretty good.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 04 Jan 2018, 13:29

BigJohnStudd wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

Weirdly, the book of this is not available as a ebook, legal or otherwise, as far as I can tell. I've been inching though the followup, about Leno and Conan, on my Nook for years. It's pretty good.

Even by comedian standards, Jay is a weird dude right?
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 pm Gregs Kite: You tried. Slap that on your resume.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby BigJohnStudd » 04 Jan 2018, 13:41

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

I get the impression that Jay is basically Trump. (For Farva, I mean that metaphorically, not literally, in that they have a number of things in common--such as a large, masculine physical presence; a strong desire to be liked; and a Machiavellian attitude toward negotiation--and not that they are literally the same person.)
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby chrisco » 04 Jan 2018, 13:59

BigJohnStudd wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

I get the impression that Jay is basically Trump. (For Farva, I mean that metaphorically, not literally, in that they have a number of things in common--such as a large, masculine physical presence; a strong desire to be liked; and a Machiavellian attitude toward negotiation--and not that they are literally the same person.)

His car collection was the tip off for me. I think collectors are inherently weird people.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby JT99 » 04 Jan 2018, 14:40

BigJohnStudd wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

It seems that most comedians are okay with him and most seem to be complimentary of him within comedy circles, but almost unanimously, they say that he is a ruthless, ruthless businessman.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Dthefritz » 04 Jan 2018, 19:53

JT99 wrote:
BigJohnStudd wrote:
mj3528 wrote:

It seems that most comedians are okay with him and most seem to be complimentary of him within comedy circles, but almost unanimously, they say that he is a ruthless, ruthless businessman.

There was at least one comedian who doesn't take kindly to him!
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Rodney Farva » 04 Jan 2018, 20:58

i read the book about leno/letterman (the late shift) when it came out, i'd also seen a lot of the reporting in the nyt while it was all playing out by the same writer, and saw the movie. dave famously booked the guy who played him in the movie, only to drag out his first guest so he could bump the guy. savage af.

i didn't know there was a follow up on leno/conan, was that also by bill carter?
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby BigJohnStudd » 04 Jan 2018, 21:01

Rodney Farva wrote:i read the book about leno/letterman (the late shift) when it came out, i'd also seen a lot of the reporting in the nyt while it was all playing out by the same writer, and saw the movie. dave famously booked the guy who played him in the movie, only to drag out his first guest so he could bump the guy. savage af.

i didn't know there was a follow up on leno/conan, was that also by bill carter?

Yes. It's called The War for Late Night and it came out in 2010. I have that ebook. It's interesting to me both for the subject matter itself, and also to think about what kind of reporting and access Carter must have done/had to write the book.
BigJohnStudd
Skin Suit

Postby TheWolf » 08 Jan 2018, 23:41

Hidden Figures. Another reminder of just how shitty white people are/were. It's crazy to think that shit like separate bathrooms were real and honestly not even that long ago.

Anyway, decent flick. Space stuff can be boring because nothing really happens, but I thought the story was solid enough to keep things interesting.

That one black chick, the skinny one, she's pretty hot.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ctz31 » 11 Jan 2018, 09:22

I purviewed a film last evening that was rec'd to me by my pal called The Founder. It stars Michael Keaton and is about some dude that stole the mcdonalds franchise from the actual mcdonald brothers! I have to say, I am on keaton's side here. Those brothers were big pussies. He deserves all the credit for turning it into what it is today. Keaton was good as always. Other than that shitty superhero film, has he ever been in a bad film? I like how he did his wipe so dirty in this too. I'd give this a solid rec. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it keeps your interest, and it's a semi interesting story.
ctz31
#nnf

Postby SouthernYokel » 11 Jan 2018, 10:16

ctz31 wrote:I purviewed a film last evening that was rec'd to me by my pal called The Founder. It stars Michael Keaton and is about some dude that stole the mcdonalds franchise from the actual mcdonald brothers! I have to say, I am on keaton's side here. Those brothers were big pussies. He deserves all the credit for turning it into what it is today. Keaton was good as always. Other than that shitty superhero film, has he ever been in a bad film? I like how he did his wipe so dirty in this too. I'd give this a solid rec. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it keeps your interest, and it's a semi interesting story.

Agreed. The end is kind of like "ok I guess that's over now" but it was solid and Keaton is the shit. Excellent slimeball.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm: I hope Jax wins next week. If the eagles lose to New England, I’m killing myself on Facebook Live
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

PreviousNext

Return to Movies