Movies You've Seen Recently

Movies You've Seen Recently

Postby pteaxwa » 15 May 2005, 21:19

Metallica - Some Kind of Monster:
Oh man, this is like This is Spinal Tap only it's real.

kirk getting told that guitar solos are out of date.
lars being told that he can't hold a beat.
lars getting drunk while selling his paintings for $5 mill.

A++++
would do business again.

The Graduate - caught a little out of this before I headed out this morning. great movie, ending is fantastic.
Reminded me that the Wayne's World 2 parody of this movie is fantastic.
pteaxwa
Hope College Alum

Postby JohnnyDamon » 15 May 2005, 21:44

Hoosiers-We all know how Bill loves it. It's classic. But as part of my 2-disc DVD set, I got....

1954 IHSAA basketball finals-Milan vs. Muncie Central-Grainy, black-and-white video with radio broadcast not completely in sync with the game itself. In other words, I loved it. It shows the difference between basketball of the 1950s and now (of course, Muncie ran the Antoine Walker offense, complete with one guy shooting 35-footers all night long). Is boring for a 4.5 minute mark in the fourth quarter, as Milan holds the ball to slow the game down. Ends with Bobby "Jimmy Chitwood" Plump of Milan hitting a 15-foot jumper to win the state title for the Indians. Even has bonus footage, showing the presentation of the runner-up trophy, runner-up individual awards, Trester Award for MVP of the Tournament (given to Plump), championship individual awards, and the championship to the Milan Indians. Also has '80s techno-rock music in the background during the bonus footage, which brings a smile to my face.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Frank the Tank » 16 May 2005, 07:39

I watched The Rookie last night with my son. I told him it would have been far more inspirational if Jim Morris played for anyone but the Devil Rays. He said "yeah, but I'd have been rooting against him if he played for the Yankees". That's my boy!
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Briandong79 » 16 May 2005, 08:16

Saw Kicking and Screaming on Friday night, based on my belief that Will Ferrell. Pretty good, reminded me ALOT of Little Giants. Probably too kiddy but it was entertaining and I didn't see a lot of better options in the theater, at least that my girlfriend would have seen.
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Dunking Donut » 16 May 2005, 09:10

I saw Kung Fu Hustle a couple of weeks ago. It was great! Stephen Chow starred - he's basically the new popular guy in that genre.

In terms of plot, basically a gang takes over the local city (the Axe Gang - they uses axes as their weapon of choice, duh). A small time crook (Chow) tries to get in and basically starts a war between the Axe Gang and this poor little village. However, the village is populated with former Shaolin Kung Fu masters. Crazy Kung Fu fighting ensues.

The cool thing is that they use a lot of CGI to take the fighting way over the top to make it campy/humorous. Obviously there's a Jackie Chan influence but it's a little bit different kind of humor.

I'd recommend it. Might be out of most theaters by now. He also did Shaolin Soccer which you should be able to find at your local video store.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 16 May 2005, 15:06

If anyone's here a fan of Jackie Chan, I strongly suggest you check out Project A and Project A II. Fantastic kung fu movies.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby thedudeabides » 16 May 2005, 15:23

Jackie Chan sucks......
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby mister bacon » 16 May 2005, 17:19

I watched a documentary on Channel Z, an old Pay Cable TV station that changed the game and pushed HBO and Showtime into showing less well known films.

Also watched a documentary on Hitchcock, confirming that he was a complete fucking genius.

Watched some random documentary on THC (Da History Channel!) about La Cosa Nostra... REALLY eye opening.

Good stuff.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby TAbbott » 17 May 2005, 07:50

http://www.sonsofthesportsguy.com/forum ... .php?t=926

That thread is a perfect example of my conversation starting abilities. As a person that watches a large amount of movies, Crash is one of the better offerings to come out of Hollywood in recent memory. Check it out if you're headed to the theaters.
"If he played defense, were a little more athletic, and didn't have diabetes, he'd be a lock for the number 1 pick." - Chad Ford on Adam Morrison
TAbbott
Czar-like official

Postby Rodney Farva » 17 May 2005, 07:56

All the President's Men. Holds up surprisingly well. I had forgotten that once upon a time Robt Redford could actually act.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby thedudeabides » 17 May 2005, 08:58

My pre-ordered copy of The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou came last tuesday. So I watched it for the first time since I saw it in the theater. Bill Murray.... yeah, he's a genius....
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 17 May 2005, 08:59

I saw the new Will Ferrell movie as well. Not bad but due to the rating they had to be careful with the humor, but Ferrell referring to Mike Ditka as juicebox and all of the little kids being shoved around by adults made the movie very entertaining.
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby sportsdorkhater » 17 May 2005, 09:00

i want to see that, i like wes anderson. im a big fan of rushmore. the only thing that i dont like is the same cast of characters for each movie. if you go back to bottle rocket through through life aquatic, some of the same people are in every movie. i find that to be annoying at times
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 17 May 2005, 09:01

Rushmore is the shit
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby thedudeabides » 17 May 2005, 09:04

I think that's the best part. I love how Wes Anderson used the same actors. P.T. Anderson does that too. So does Woody Allen and a number of other directors. Some directors just find actors that work well with their script style and their characterization. I think Bill Murray, the Wilson Brothers (Owen was Wes' roomate in college), and others identify and work well within Wes Anderson's system.
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Next

Return to Movies