Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Jun 2008, 11:35

bosux191820042090 wrote:i was disappointed because i expect my FANTASY action movies to strictly adhere my narrow definition of reality

it's like you guys feel obligated to say something bad about it...


Glad you liked it, but trust me I wanted to like this movie. There was no obligation to say something bad whatsoever. I just thought it kinda sucked, especially when compared to the first two.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31559
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby bosux » 21 Jun 2008, 12:33

Frank the Tank wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:i was disappointed because i expect my FANTASY action movies to strictly adhere my narrow definition of reality

it's like you guys feel obligated to say something bad about it...


Glad you liked it, but trust me I wanted to like this movie. There was no obligation to say something bad whatsoever. I just thought it kinda sucked, especially when compared to the first two.


fair enough young man, but it's like, here's frank and fletch on star wars:

"really? a little green man that can jump around and fight? really? a giant planet-sized fortress in space? really?"

if you want reality, just stare out the window...it's boring
by bosux » 02 Mar 2016, 13:34
if the democratic power machine is so tone deaf as to foist $hrillary upon the electorate they will lose to Trump...bet on it
User avatar
bosux
Dr. Poop
 
Posts: 17422
Joined: 08 Jun 2005, 10:31
Location: river ave garage, top deck

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Fletch » 21 Jun 2008, 12:40

I don't want or need reality - I just don't want to be hit over the head with "stupid" time and again. Though, really, I don't know how much stock I can take in your opinion, considering you think Temple is somehow miles better than Last Crusade. [-X
nasty nova wrote:I'm a meaningless piece of shit
User avatar
Fletch
The Bomb Dick
 
Posts: 7161
Joined: 30 Mar 2006, 10:19
Location: Number 2

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Frank the Tank » 21 Jun 2008, 14:16

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:I don't want or need reality - I just don't want to be hit over the head with "stupid" time and again. Though, really, I don't know how much stock I can take in your opinion, considering you think Temple is somehow miles better than Last Crusade. [-X


I agree with Bosux on that one point. Temple = underrated. Last Crusade = overrated.

There are multiple degrees of "suspension of disbelief". There are certain fantasy elements you need to accept for these movies, and things like the existence of aliens and man-eating ants in the jungle fit well there. These are things that are firmly grounded in the imagination of the writers, and are entertaining departures from reality. However when you have Shia LaBeef swinging from vines you're taking something real and asking the audience to forget what they know about that, which is harder. Same with the nuclear blast, which was dumb dumb dumb a thousand times over (why did they bother including it?). When you don't know any rules about how killer ants behave or aliens act you can accept the ones in the movie as they're given to you. When you know the basic rules of physics it's impossible to accept someone surviving in a refrigerator after being thrown two miles by the force of an atomic blast.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31559
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby chrisco » 21 Jun 2008, 20:35

bosux191820042090 wrote:i was disappointed because i expect my FANTASY action movies to strictly adhere my narrow definition of reality

it's like you guys feel obligated to say something bad about it...it was a fun two hours...i was thoroughly entertained..i put it a close 3rd behind the first two, better than the last crusade though by a mile...blanchette's russian accent was pretty bad, i will give you that

fletch and frank would make a great new version of siskel and ebert, although i don't know who would play who :mrgreen:


3/4ths of the way through on a bootleg copy and so far I don't see what all the hate is about. The rest of the family is watching the parts they missed last night now, hopefully the end won't be a big buzzkill since that is about the height of my excitement for the night.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12223
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 23 Jun 2008, 06:45

chrisco wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:i was disappointed because i expect my FANTASY action movies to strictly adhere my narrow definition of reality

it's like you guys feel obligated to say something bad about it...it was a fun two hours...i was thoroughly entertained..i put it a close 3rd behind the first two, better than the last crusade though by a mile...blanchette's russian accent was pretty bad, i will give you that

fletch and frank would make a great new version of siskel and ebert, although i don't know who would play who :mrgreen:


3/4ths of the way through on a bootleg copy and so far I don't see what all the hate is about. The rest of the family is watching the parts they missed last night now, hopefully the end won't be a big buzzkill since that is about the height of my excitement for the night.


So? Worst movie ever or what?

Guys, this movie sucked. It was very gay.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31063
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby chrisco » 23 Jun 2008, 09:41

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
chrisco wrote:
bosux191820042090 wrote:i was disappointed because i expect my FANTASY action movies to strictly adhere my narrow definition of reality

it's like you guys feel obligated to say something bad about it...it was a fun two hours...i was thoroughly entertained..i put it a close 3rd behind the first two, better than the last crusade though by a mile...blanchette's russian accent was pretty bad, i will give you that

fletch and frank would make a great new version of siskel and ebert, although i don't know who would play who :mrgreen:


3/4ths of the way through on a bootleg copy and so far I don't see what all the hate is about. The rest of the family is watching the parts they missed last night now, hopefully the end won't be a big buzzkill since that is about the height of my excitement for the night.


So? Worst movie ever or what?

Guys, this movie sucked. It was very gay.


It was a fine action dummy movie until the saucer people showed up. Then it got dumb. I could have used a bit less action and a little more smart assness.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12223
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Jul 2008, 06:34

Finally went and saw this last night. Parts of it were a bit much to take (the Shia-Tarzan scene was the toughest for me to believe, while my wife thought the nuclear explosion survival was ludicrous,) but I was telling my wife on the way home that I am sure there were parts of Raiders, Temple, and Crusade that would have seemed equally ridiculous had I seen them for the first time at age 33.

My wife disagreed at first, but come on - a real ark of the covenant that has mystical powers and melts people's faces off? A real holy grail that also has mystical powers? Not much of what we saw last night was any more ridiculous than that. And Indy swimming from a boat to a Nazi submarine in the open sea and either hanging on while they went to a secret base or somehow breaking in without the Nazis knowing? That made perfect sense when I was 8 years old.

So I can see where both sides are coming from in this debate, but we enjoyed the movie. It wasn't God's gift to film-making (the way I felt like Raiders was 25 years ago,) but I didn't really have that expectation going in. I thought it was fairly well made, and the acting was good enough for the franchise. Toward the end of the action scenes I forgot that Harrison Ford is 75 years old.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby SouthernYokel » 02 Jul 2008, 08:22

Colonel Angus wrote:come on - a real ark of the covenant that has mystical powers and melts people's faces off? A real holy grail that also has mystical powers? Not much of what we saw last night was any more ridiculous than that.


i'll argue that those are fantasy elements that are impossible but are things that you could imagine (like the one ring or narnia), whereas surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator is impossible period, as is hanging on to a submarine while it's moving.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29813
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Jul 2008, 09:33

SouthernYokel wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:come on - a real ark of the covenant that has mystical powers and melts people's faces off? A real holy grail that also has mystical powers? Not much of what we saw last night was any more ridiculous than that.


i'll argue that those are fantasy elements that are impossible but are things that you could imagine (like the one ring or narnia), whereas surviving a nuclear blast in a refrigerator is impossible period, as is hanging on to a submarine while it's moving.


Very true, and I considered that too. I still think a lot of what was not fantasy-inspired but considered by many (including me,) to be so far-fetched as to be laughable in Crystal Skull - Shia as Tarzan; giant man-carrying ants; pretty much the entire car-chase scene in the jungle; the group surviving the "three falls"; Indy surviving a nuclear blast (that appeared to be outside the fake town, so it wasn't really a "direct" nuclear blast,) in a lead-lined refrigerator - was not necessarily more absurd than scenes in the earlier movies. It's just that when we first saw the earlier movies, we weren't as jaded and cynical as we are now.

I'm thinking specifically of the following, in Raiders alone, which is rightfully considered the best of all of the movies: Indy swimming from the freighter to the sub and either riding the top of it to the secret Nazi base or somehow breaking in undetected; Marion somehow surviving the truck explosion, which is never explained to us; the car/truck chase scene which includes Indy somehow catching up to the truck on horseback then later getting dragged by his bullwhip at what appears to be a high rate of speed before managing to pull himself to the front of the truck and climb up its grille into the cab to overpower the driver.

In Temple of Doom you have the mine cart chase scene and others, although I’m not going to list them all here. Same with Last Crusade.

On another note, I really hope that the final scene (and the premise of Shia as Indy's son) wasn't trying to foreshadow future installments with the son of Indiana played by LaBoeuf as the hero. I thought Shia did OK in Crystal Skull, but I don't think he can (or deserves to) carry the franchise. River Phoenix might have been able to.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby SouthernYokel » 02 Jul 2008, 09:39

agree that they should end here. also, i'm starting to see your point. the other fantasy stuff i was thinking of always had a caveat that told you why the hero was able to do things that were ridiculous (like luke and anakin had really high metachlorian counts, or frodo had the one ring and was wearing the elven brooch so orcs couldnt seehim)...but indiana jones doesn't bother with that, he's just able to do it because he's wearing a fedora.

I guess there is truth that if you see something in your youth you are less likely to question it. Jaws is probably my favorite action movie ever, and i'm pretty sure that i would find some problems with it if i saw it for the first time today (but not with shooting the air tank in the shark's mouth with a rusted out gun from WWII. that was fo real dawgs).
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
User avatar
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle
 
Posts: 29813
Joined: 08 Sep 2005, 08:09

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Jul 2008, 09:40

Colonel Angus wrote:Marion somehow surviving the truck explosion, which is never explained to us;


She was already out of the truck, right?

The other points are all good ones though.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
User avatar
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet
 
Posts: 31559
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:34

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Jul 2008, 12:21

Frank the Tank wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:Marion somehow surviving the truck explosion, which is never explained to us;


She was already out of the truck, right?

The other points are all good ones though.


It's never explained. I watched it again recently and it doesn't seem like there is an opportunity for her to get out before it blew up.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
User avatar
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC
 
Posts: 18626
Joined: 11 Aug 2005, 15:09

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby Prison Mike » 03 Jul 2008, 01:40

Colonel Angus wrote:On another note, I really hope that the final scene (and the premise of Shia as Indy's son) wasn't trying to foreshadow future installments with the son of Indiana played by LaBoeuf as the hero. I thought Shia did OK in Crystal Skull, but I don't think he can (or deserves to) carry the franchise. River Phoenix might have been able to.


That appears to be the plan.

http://www.filmjunk.com/2008/05/26/george-lucas-confirms-that-shia-labeouf-is-the-future-of-the-indiana-jones-franchise/

It's made a ton of money, so another installment seems likely. That said, this movie was pretty bad (nothing new or interesting), and the fact that Lucas would want to make a fifth installment that basically copies The Last Crusade seems like a terrible idea.
2007-2008 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
User avatar
Prison Mike
Hope College Alum
 
Posts: 203
Joined: 10 May 2007, 03:12

Re: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 08 Jul 2008, 15:40

Actually in Raiders it's not that difficult to believe he could have ridden the sub to the Nazi base. Pre-WWII subs were all diesels which had to operate on batteries to dive under water. Most of the time the subs ran above the water so they could charge their batteries and run on the diesel engines which need air. Since it wasn't a wartime situation and they weren't in a war game/exercise, they probably would have traveled the entire distance on the water instead of under. If they did happen to dive, the tower has an airlock between the top door and the door inside where he could have hidden for the duration.

As for Marion escaping the truck, the "explanation" given by Indy when he sees her alive is that "they must have switched the baskets," which I guess means she was put on a different truck and he didn't notice in the confusion of the million different baskets being carried around.

That's my two cents on the subject.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
User avatar
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot
 
Posts: 12474
Joined: 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
Location: Virginia

PreviousNext

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MisterTambourineMan and 1 guest