Sports Movies

Re: Sports Movies

Postby Briandong79 » 21 Jan 2014, 16:16

SI ranks the best 25 sports movie villains:
http://extramustard.si.com/2014/01/21/b ... -villains/

I think I'd move Big Ern up a couple notches but otherwise a pretty solid list.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 22 Jan 2014, 01:30

Briandong79 wrote:SI ranks the best 25 sports movie villains:

I would actually argue that Clubber was actually more of a villain than Drago was. Yes, Drago did kill Apollo, but A: Apollo kinda asked for an ass-whupping, and it wasn't really Drago's fault that he was as strong as he was, the government was who was pumping 'roids into his body and B: Drago actually redeemed himself for me when he assaulted the President late in the Rocky fight after the President came down and slapped him. Drago was just a victim of circumstance who could have been a decent person in another country at another time.

Clubber, meanwhile, was pretty much directly responsible for Mickey's death, went out of his way to antagonize Rocky, Adrian, AND Apollo, and was in general an unlikeable dickwad.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 22 Jan 2014, 08:07

Look at this Southern boy sticking up for whitey and tearing down the black man. Only in AmeriKKKa!
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby ctz31 » 22 Jan 2014, 08:31

JichaelDick wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:SI ranks the best 25 sports movie villains:

I would actually argue that Clubber was actually more of a villain than Drago was. Yes, Drago did kill Apollo, but A: Apollo kinda asked for an ass-whupping, and it wasn't really Drago's fault that he was as strong as he was, the government was who was pumping 'roids into his body and B: Drago actually redeemed himself for me when he assaulted the President late in the Rocky fight after the President came down and slapped him. Drago was just a victim of circumstance who could have been a decent person in another country at another time.

Clubber, meanwhile, was pretty much directly responsible for Mickey's death, went out of his way to antagonize Rocky, Adrian, AND Apollo, and was in general an unlikeable dickwad.

Clubber was all kinds of awesome. And I've said this before, but the ref stepped in and tried to stop that fight, and drago threw him out of the way before delivering the fatal blow. Can anyone say "manslaughter"?
ctz31
Witty Rank TBD

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Jan 2014, 09:59

thunderlips owns both of them in 8 minutes of screentime.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Jan 2014, 10:01

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Look at this Southern boy sticking up for whitey and tearing down the black man. Only in AmeriKKKa!

Sticking up for the COMMIE! Over the A-Team! Dead to me jike
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JT99 » 22 Jan 2014, 10:20

SouthernYokel wrote:thunderlips owns both of them in 8 minutes of screentime.

To be fair, you'd fall for anyone labeling themselves "The Ultimate Male"
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby SouthernYokel » 22 Jan 2014, 10:33

JT99 wrote:
SouthernYokel wrote:thunderlips owns both of them in 8 minutes of screentime.

To be fair, you'd fall for anyone labeling themselves "The Ultimate Male"

:lol:, obvs.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby JichaelDick » 22 Jan 2014, 11:30

The Long Dick of the Law wrote:
Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Look at this Southern boy sticking up for whitey and tearing down the black man. Only in AmeriKKKa!

Sticking up for the COMMIE! Over the A-Team! Dead to me jike

Simply think that Drago was a victim of circumstance. To be fair, it could be the same for Clubber, but we don't see his back story. Drago was conditioned to try and kill all Americans, and Apollo was at the height of his preeniness (even more than in Rocky or Rocky II, which is damned impressive). Yeah, he threw the ref out of the way, but that was just the way it went. And, what gets lost is that Apollo might have lived if Rocky had just thrown in the damned towel.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 22 Jan 2014, 11:36

JichaelDick wrote: And, what gets lost is that Apollo might have lived if Rocky had just thrown in the damned towel.

Yeah, sure, Drago throws a ref outta the way but if Rocky throws that lil white towel in, that's his Manchurian candidate trigger, GTFO.

And by your logic, Muhammed Ali is worse than Nazis who grew up in Germany and were just conditioned to hate the Juden. But that Cassius? Aww he preen, he preen
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby JichaelDick » 23 Jan 2014, 16:17

Drago threw the ref out of the way because he was conditioned to keep fighting, plus his handlers had probably told him that the ref was crooked and would try to let Apollo get a few cheap shots in. His defense mechanism overloaded. It's certainly POSSIBLE Apollo would have died anyway, but Rocky throwing in the towel might have actually stopped Drago.

Eh, probably not. The real villains of that movie were Brigitte Nielsen and the dude that was his trainer/handler. FTR, Clubber is hilarious, and would be nowhere near #1 on my sports movie villain (I, for one, have Ken Griffey, Jr. from Little Big League #1. He ruined Billy Heywood's shot at a world title!)
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 23 Jan 2014, 16:26

JichaelDick wrote:Drago threw the ref out of the way because he was conditioned to keep fighting, but Rocky throwing in the towel might have actually stopped Drago.

Yeah no
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 24 Jan 2014, 06:28

Talking about "what might've been" in a fictional movie. That's how you people spent your Thursday night?
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby JichaelDick » 24 Jan 2014, 09:56

Mario Speedwagon wrote:Talking about "what might've been" in a fictional movie. That's how you people spent your Thursday night?

It was Thursday afternoon in are country, Speedy.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 24 Jan 2014, 09:58

4:26 PM EST is not night. In fact, it was "doing something other than work at work"
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to Movies