Top 5 Sequels of All Time

Postby Scoring Machine » 04 Feb 2005, 19:10

The Wrath of Kahn was ca$h. "Kaaaaaaaaahhhn!"
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby jack_daniels » 04 Feb 2005, 20:16

Star Wars....sigh. I'm with SG: Star Wars, I don't get it, never did, and never will. I don't see what's so interesting about a bunch of space warriors or whatever they are. I only saw the one that came out in 2003 because I was forced to because of my geeky brother, and I didn't find it interesting at all. The fight scenes were alright but thats about it. I'll take Scarface or Usual Suspects any day over Star Wars.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Scoring Machine » 27 Feb 2005, 01:05

You haven't seen any of the first three? Wow. I guess it speaks to the generational gap on the board. The first three are pretty much completely different world that the last two.

You'd have to be completely insane to be one of the weirdos that camps out for weeks before the new ones come out. But that doesn't change the fact that the original three were cash.

Chewbacca, Han Solo, Yoda??? Shiiiiit, now that's entertainment!
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Snake » 27 Feb 2005, 15:41

jack_daniels wrote:Star Wars....sigh. I'm with SG: Star Wars, I don't get it, never did, and never will. I don't see what's so interesting about a bunch of space warriors or whatever they are. I only saw the one that came out in 2003 because I was forced to because of my geeky brother, and I didn't find it interesting at all. The fight scenes were alright but thats about it. I'll take Scarface or Usual Suspects any day over Star Wars.

You seem to rag quite a bit on things you don't know anything about. If you don't know about something either education yourself on it or shut up. Even the Star Wars geeks thought the last 2 were terrible, check out the first 3, preferably on a TV with surround sound, then get back to us. I'm not a Star Wars geek, and I never got into all the Yoda philosophy stuff, but those were entertaining movies.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2005, 08:39

Not to mention that in the context of 1977 movies Star Wars was a huge advance in special effects. I can understand how people born in the late '80s have trouble understanding the hoopla surrounding the trilogy, but I think it was clearly the most important cinematic achievement in the 1970's. Sure there were better movies during that decade (The Godfather 1 and 2 come to mind), but Star Wars changed expectations and started studios racing to invent more believable special effects.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby bringbackthewhalers » 28 Feb 2005, 11:23

If we're discussing better movies of the 70's and special effects advancements please include JAWS.
Fidem Servavi.
bringbackthewhalers
Hope College Alum

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2005, 11:51

Jaws was indeed a great film, but the special effects were no big deal even for the 70's. The original SW film spawned many more look-alikes than Jaws. I don't think it can really claim to have changed cinema.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby jack_daniels » 28 Feb 2005, 19:38

Since we're talking about movies from the 70's I would just like to say that the remake of Gone in 60 Seconds is an absolute mockery to the 1973 classic of the same name. Loved that movie.

You ask anyone from my generation if they watched Star Wars and 4/5 will say they never even heard of the movie. I'm not taking anything away from its artistic/cinematic milestones, I'm just saying Star Wars is just not in the conscious of today's generation. I know this is sad, but more kids today will remember Scarface more then they will remember Star Wars. And I read the background of the story off Wikipedia. I don't know, it still doesn't interest me. My brother is one of those rare people today who actually watched Star Wars trilogy and he begs me to watch it. I don't see what's so good about it, and the majority of people from 14-20 would agree with me.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby WampaOne » 28 Feb 2005, 20:44

jack_daniels wrote:

You ask anyone from my generation if they watched Star Wars and 4/5 will say they never even heard of the movie. I'm not taking anything away from its artistic/cinematic milestones, I'm just saying Star Wars is just not in the conscious of today's generation. I know this is sad, but more kids today will remember Scarface more then they will remember Star Wars. And I read the background of the story off Wikipedia. I don't know, it still doesn't interest me. My brother is one of those rare people today who actually watched Star Wars trilogy and he begs me to watch it. I don't see what's so good about it, and the majority of people from 14-20 would agree with me.

more proof on the decline of Western Civilization.

I just saw some pics from ROTS and I think this one is going to be Teri Hatcher's Boobs on Seinfeld spectacular. Of course, this is coming from an action figure collector (but not movie line freak) Star Wars geek.

May the Force be with you.
2013 SOTSG NFL PICK 'EM Champion
2006 World Cup Fantasy Champion

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns
WampaOne
Friend of Lohan

Postby jack_daniels » 28 Feb 2005, 21:05

WampaOne wrote:jack_daniels wrote:

more proof on the decline of Western Civilization.

lol.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Frank the Tank » 28 Feb 2005, 21:15

My eight-year-old loves the original trilogy. I don't think people in the 14-20 age group having seen it is all that rare, at least not around here. It's certainly not the "defining event" for them that it was for us geriatric folk, but it's aged well.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby thedudeabides » 01 Mar 2005, 19:33

I am by no means a current Star Wars fan or a scifi geek for that matter, but Star Wars was very influential to me in my early childhood. I was a fan back in the day. I too have met people that have either never seen any of the first trilogy or have never heard of it and I find this SHOCKING! SHOCKING!.....SHOCKING! How can someone living in the States at any age above 18 not have even heard of the original trilogy!? It blows my mind.

And Jack, did you first become a Scareface fan after the recent release of the remastered aniversary DVD or did you rent it way back in HS and really enjoy it?
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby Snake » 02 Mar 2005, 00:52

He just got out of HS, so I think he got the remastered DVD in HS.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby thedudeabides » 02 Mar 2005, 11:11

That's what I thought.....
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby mandingo » 02 Mar 2005, 16:26

Funny that Scarface is now HUGE and the original Star Wars is irrevelant among today's kids.. Scarface was a disaster when it came out while Star Wars was the seminal movie event of an entire generation.
[Fri 15:59] Rickey Sez: call me "sex bomb", please.
mandingo
Pink Helmet

PreviousNext

Return to Movies