Top 5 Sequels of All Time

Postby Snake » 24 Jan 2005, 21:40

Rocky IV's problem is that it wasn't as good as Rocky III. And JD, I guess since your Indian-Canadian you don't get the Rockys, there's definitely an American ethos to the story that makes it better if you buy into the American way.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 24 Jan 2005, 22:48

jack_daniels wrote:Honestly what is this love affair with the Rocky movies. It was a great and memorable series of movies(except the stupid ass 5th one) with good dialogue(Stallone did win the Oscar for Screenwriting in 76), memorable fight scenes, and even more memorable UCR scenes. But I mean calm down it's just a movie. I guess I understand the mood from the 4th one. Cold War matchup, East vs. West, Communism vs. Democracy, blah blah blah. I don't know. I just don't understand it that's all I'm saying.

IV was okay. I'm with you on the Rocky thing.

Imma be honest with you and put on my Eddie Murphy in raw mask and just say what the real reason is:

White people love Rocky cause it features a white guy whooping a black dudes ass. It had been a long time since a white dude (pre Klitchko) had done anything of note in a boxing ring, and the Rocky series made all the middle aged white guys* in America feel athleticly superior to a black man if just for 2.5 hours or something.

* these are also the reason why any CBS comedy wins a ratings battle, The King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Still Standing, Yes Dear.. all of them feature portly white dudes with some inexplicably hot wife... your dreaming if you think this ever happens in real life.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Jan 2005, 23:08

Those shows are so crappy too, yet these middle aged men seem to cling to this fantasy that it can happen to them :wink: .

Seriously though has there ever been a dominant white boxer in the last 45 years? Nope. Rocky, this imaginary character was their hero, too bad it couldn't transfer into real life.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Snake » 25 Jan 2005, 00:15

Bacon, the reason the CBS comedies win the ratings is simple. There are more white people watching TV than black people. To those of us who aren't part of the culture (this was actually a favorite topic of conversation in my dorm last year) almost all black comedy sounds like the same joke. There are a few exceptions (The Chris Rock show, Cedric the Entertainers show, and a few others) but most of them just seem to run together to us. We can connect with the average fat white dude with a hot wife because that fantasy makes sense to us. But in our lives what's the difference between Bernie Mac and Jamie Foxx and Steve Harvey and D.L. Hughley and the Wayans Brothers doing comedy? It's just good marketing on CBS's part because they know who's watching. I don't know if you can equate the Rocky movies as a race issue. A good example of race in boxing would be the Muhammed Ali-Chuck Wepner fight, where Wepner was nothing but a tomato can but he got a shot at Ali just because he was a white guy and they knew the market was there for it. Of course if anything maybe I'm not sensitive enough to race, since the fact that Apollo Creed was black didn't even register with me and even now that you've pointed it out I don't really care so maybe I'm a bad example.

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 25 Jan 2005, 01:51

Snake wrote:Bacon, the reason the CBS comedies win the ratings is simple. There are more white people watching TV than black people. To those of us who aren't part of the culture (this was actually a favorite topic of conversation in my dorm last year) almost all black comedy sounds like the same joke. There are a few exceptions (The Chris Rock show, Cedric the Entertainers show, and a few others) but most of them just seem to run together to us. We can connect with the average fat white dude with a hot wife because that fantasy makes sense to us. But in our lives what's the difference between Bernie Mac and Jamie Foxx and Steve Harvey and D.L. Hughley and the Wayans Brothers doing comedy? It's just good marketing on CBS's part because they know who's watching. I don't know if you can equate the Rocky movies as a race issue. A good example of race in boxing would be the Muhammed Ali-Chuck Wepner fight, where Wepner was nothing but a tomato can but he got a shot at Ali just because he was the a white guy and they knew the market was there for it. Of course if anything maybe I'm not sensitive enough to race, since the fact that Apollo Creed was black didn't even register with me and even now that you've pointed it out I don't really care so maybe I'm a bad example.

Hey I'm just saying that the same reason that Rocky is popular is the same reason CBS comedies are popular. Most black comedy on televisons is completely shitty. In fact, most network television is garbage. If you didn't notice Apollo Creed was black, that makes you probably one in 10000 people who didnt notice. Its also a lot bigger deal when the only people you see in your entire life who look like you on the television screen are always villans or criminals. Next your going to tell me that you didnt notice that the team that they played in Hoosiers was an all black team....

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 25 Jan 2005, 03:54

Actually I didn't until someone pointed it out to me. Let me tell you a story. Last year I went to school in New Orleans and when my mom came down she stayed at this bed and breakfast owned by this lovely elderly couple named Don and Rose Hubbard (and if you're ever in New Orleans go stay at the Hubbard Mansion, it's really the place to stay especially if you're with a girl, its as romantic as it gets). Anyway after one visit she got in the cab to the airport and the cabbie said to her "You stayed there?" my moms says she did, the cabbie says "You know the people who own it are black." My mom thought it was weird that the guy even brought it up and so she related the story to friends and their response was "we didn't know they were black." I'm Jewish, so I had plenty of negative stereotypes of my own to get through, and I understand how it feels when you get the same image in the media every day, but if we keep making an issue out of it then it will never get better because we will give legitamacy to differences that aren't necessarily legitamate. I recognize I'm an outlier because I've always bought into the idea that a persons race didn't have anything to do with the content of their character and that I really don't believe it's worth noting someones skin color as a factor in who they are. Maybe I'm in the minority right now, but I don't think that it has to be that way and I don't think it will be that way for much longer.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby JohnnyDamon » 25 Jan 2005, 13:12

Actually, best I remember in Hoosiers, the team is mostly black, but there are like four white players on the team. The reason they did that was to combine Muncie Central, the team that Milan (the team that became the Hickory Huskers) beat in the finals of the 1954 IHSAA basketball tournament, which was about 2/3 white, and Crispus Attucks High School, led by a sophomore guard named Oscar Robertson, who was an all-black team. The only problem I have with that whole thing is the coach of both Muncie Central and Crispus Attucks are Indiana High School Hall-of-Famers, while the coach of South Bend Central was a complet nincompoop. That was where they could have done a better job.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Scoring Machine » 25 Jan 2005, 22:58

mister bacon wrote:White people love Rocky cause it features a white guy whooping a black dudes ass. It had been a long time since a white dude (pre Klitchko) had done anything of note in a boxing ring, and the Rocky series made all the middle aged white guys* in America feel athleticly superior to a black man if just for 2.5 hours or something.

Wait? did i miss something? did Klitchko do something of note in boxing? He's the champ by default as there are no moderately talented heavyweights. His only name fight was against Lewis, and Lewis shredded his face soo bad they stopped the fight.

And Rockey IV isn't soo bad, it's the movie that single handedly ended the Cold War! "they're supposed to be cheering for me!"
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Snake » 26 Jan 2005, 01:38

Well Klitchko does have a PhD. Maybe that's the accomplishment they talk about. I'm embarrassed whenever I see a heavyweight fight nowadays. Klitchko is terrible but John Louise is even worse.Jack Johnson must be rolling in his grave.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby jack_daniels » 26 Jan 2005, 20:39

You guys know the quotes by heart too. Not just the most memorable ones, but lesser ones too. Amazing. That line from Ususal Suspects(my favourite movie) the the only one I remember.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby thedudeabides » 27 Jan 2005, 00:26

1. Debbie Does Dallas
2. Debbie Does Detroit
3. Debbie Does New Dheli
4. Debbie Does Delaware
5. Debbie Does Dave

............oh...we arn't talking about sequals any more are we?...sorry.
Who wants to help me incite a liberal democratic revolution in Iran?....anyone.....anyone at all?
thedudeabides
OG's sponsor

Postby mister bacon » 02 Feb 2005, 01:13

Couple Sequals we all forgot --

Airplane II
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 02 Feb 2005, 04:20

Wait, how have we not mentioned the Naked Gun movies yet? I mean Reggie Jackson almost killed Queen Elizabeth and a perennial that guy who's name I don't know tried to blow up the Oscars. Classic flick.

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 02 Feb 2005, 05:49

Snake wrote:Wait, how have we not mentioned the Naked Gun movies yet? I mean Reggie Jackson almost killed Queen Elizabeth and a perennial that guy who's name I don't know tried to blow up the Oscars. Classic flick.

By "That Guy" do you mean OJ Simpson??

mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Snake » 02 Feb 2005, 16:25

LOL

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Movies