SOTSG Essential Movie Viewing

SOTSG Essential Movie Viewing

Postby Fletch » 20 Jul 2006, 12:46

In the vein of the mix-tape lists from the hip-hop thread, we need a list of the base absolutely essential movies that one should see, regardless of age.

Since nothing happened in the world before I was born (more or less), this list will be split by decade and start in the 70s. We can add in older movies at a later date, but let's start with what (most of us) know best.

Even if you don't think you'll like these movies and/or have never had a desire to see them, you should see them for discussion/cultural significance purposes.

This isn't intended to be some fancy-pants critics list, either, where we mention movies like The English Patient or even Syriana, and it's also not just a list of the highest grossing (read: most popular) movies.

I'll start with just a short list from off the top of my head and we can discuss additions/subtractions as we go. The lists by decade are in no particular order.

1970s
The Godfather
The Godfather II
Star Wars
Apocalypse Now
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blazing Saddles
Rocky
A Clockwork Orange

1980s
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rocky IV
Roadhouse
The Karate Kid
Teenwolf
The Princess Bride
Caddyshack
Die Hard
Ferris Buehler's Day Off

1990s
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Fight Club
The Usual Suspects
Goodfellas
The Matrix

2000s
Lord of the Rings 1-3
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby MoreCowbell » 20 Jul 2006, 12:48

I piss on Lord of the Rings. Seriously, I've given a shot to many movies, including these... and I just couldnt do it. Ive tried to watch both the first and second one, multiple times. I'd rather watch the WNBA.
MoreCowbell
The Bomb Dick

Postby Fletch » 20 Jul 2006, 12:50

MoreCowbell wrote:I piss on Lord of the Rings. Seriously, I've given a shot to many movies, including these... and I just couldnt do it. Ive tried to watch both the first and second one, multiple times. I'd rather watch the WNBA.

I was stretching - trying to find anything from the 00s that was worthy of being "essential." That was the closest I could get.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Jul 2006, 12:51

I didn't really like the lord of the rings movies either. They were very well done, but you just can't transfer a literary world like that to the screen successfully. "Fellowship of the Ring" is the only one that came close, and it was missing Tom Bombadil.

I would add Se7en and Dumb and Dumber.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 20 Jul 2006, 12:54

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:I piss on Lord of the Rings. Seriously, I've given a shot to many movies, including these... and I just couldnt do it. Ive tried to watch both the first and second one, multiple times. I'd rather watch the WNBA.

I was stretching - trying to find anything from the 00s that was worthy of being "essential." That was the closest I could get.

Just wait until Talladega Nights comes out. Ahem. (I'll know if that's a joke or not come August 5th)

My personal list would definitely include Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, and the Fugitive from the 90's.
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 20 Jul 2006, 12:55

In the early days of this place I had this debate with ___. It begins and ends with Slapshot.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 20 Jul 2006, 12:55

1970s

Jaws

1980s

Airplane
Porky's
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Terminator

1990's

American Beauty

2000's

Gladiator
Last edited by Ulysses Everett McGill on 20 Jul 2006, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
FRSB

[Mon 2:08] Dick Hertz: it's also called - "ringing the cowbell". ask tiff about it.
Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Jul 2006, 12:56

Oh yeah, Jaws is a great one. Raiders of the lost ark should be up there too if it's not (Eta - it is). And the Magnificent seven.

Also from the 90's, Tombstone should be up there.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dunking Donut » 20 Jul 2006, 12:57

For discussion and quotes on the board, I'd say you'd also have to have Full Metal Jacket, Anchorman, Old School, Boogie Nights, and Napoleon Dynamite.

Any other movies would be in the top 5 movie thread.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Jul 2006, 12:59

Dunking Donut wrote:For discussion and quotes on the board, I'd say you'd also have to have Full Metal Jacket, Anchorman, Old School, Boogie Nights, and Napoleon Dynamite.

Any other movies would be in the top 5 movie thread.

Oh yeah, we do have a top 5 thread don't we? I guess this is slightly different, even though everyone's top five became 30.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Fletch » 20 Jul 2006, 12:59

Ulysses Everett McGill wrote:1970s
Jaws

1980s
Airplane
Porky's
Terminator

1990's
American Beauty

2000's
Gladiator

I pondered on some of those like Terminator (1 and 2), and some other should definitely be there, but American Beauty?? Many think it blew, and others still say it's one of, if not the worst picture to win Best Picture (I'm not saying that, but I've heard/read it).

And Gladiator was good for what it was, but I don't think it is culturally significant and/or will have legs.
Fletch
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dunking Donut » 20 Jul 2006, 13:01

I'd like to add that I'm sure JichaelDick has not seen any of these movies.
jew jitsu wrote:Shit is overblown honestly, if we are going by today's standard I committed sexual assault a bunch of times. Give me a break
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby JichaelDick » 20 Jul 2006, 13:02

Dunking Donut wrote:I'd like to add that I'm sure JichaelDick has not seen any of these movies.

I've seen 5 of them...
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SouthernYokel » 20 Jul 2006, 13:03

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
Jaws

1980s
Airplane
Porky's
Terminator

1990's
American Beauty

2000's
Gladiator

I pondered on some of those like Terminator (1 and 2), and some other should definitely be there, but American Beauty?? Many think it blew, and others still say it's one of, if not the worst picture to win Best Picture (I'm not saying that, but I've heard/read it).

And Gladiator was good for what it was, but I don't think it is culturally significant and/or will have legs.

I thought they didn't particularly have to be culturally significant per your rules. Gladiator is a great movie, emminently rewatchable.
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Ulysses Everett McGill » 20 Jul 2006, 13:04

Irwin M. Fletcher wrote:
Jaws

1980s
Airplane
Porky's
Terminator

1990's
American Beauty

2000's
Gladiator

Terminator is a definite, imo because it was really the first movie that was intense from beginning to end for action.

I think that American Beauty is relevant because it is the only time that I can remember being in a theater and hearing the crowd go from crazy laughter to absolute stunned silence [though Life is Beautiful pulled that off to some extent too].

Gladiator was my reach for the 2000's. Return of the spectacle movie, maybe?
FRSB

[Mon 2:08] Dick Hertz: it's also called - "ringing the cowbell". ask tiff about it.
Ulysses Everett McGill
Smartest Guy In The Room

Next

Return to Movies