5 Greatest movies of all time(can be non-sports related)

Postby mister bacon » 01 Apr 2007, 18:22

Abe Froman wrote:Okay, just wondering about Tron.

I'll check out Deep Cover.

double up and watch Tron and Deep Cover back to back!
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Apr 2007, 18:24

mister bacon wrote:

If you're 35+, Tron = pwnz0rs.
If you're 25-34, Tron = to be determined, could be anywhere.
If you're <25, Tron = meh-minus.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby sportsdorkhater » 01 Apr 2007, 18:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

exactly, check out FTT's Halloween outfit from last year:

sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 01 Apr 2007, 18:27

Frank the Tank wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

gpia. Tron was weird to me coming from the middle age range you mentioned. I still can't sit through it. Also the deep cover soundtrack is excellent.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby mister bacon » 01 Apr 2007, 18:29

Frank the Tank wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

id agree wholeheartedly with assesment. part of the joy i get from watching it is the old school arcade nerd action. i used to dream of the days i could be old enough to eat pizza and hang out at the mall arcade all the time.

then when i got that old i realized that chasing pussy was a much, much more worthwhile endeavor.. and despite the appearance to the contrary in Tron, being good at video games would not make you very popular with chicks.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby Frank the Tank » 01 Apr 2007, 18:45

mister bacon wrote:id agree wholeheartedly with assesment. part of the joy i get from watching it is the old school arcade nerd action. i used to dream of the days i could be old enough to eat pizza and hang out at the mall arcade all the time.

then when i got that old i realized that chasing pussy was a much, much more worthwhile endeavor.. and despite the appearance to the contrary in Tron, being good at video games would not make you very popular with chicks.

That sounds exactly like my youth, except the bad teen acne and lack of athletic ability made me much more successful at video games than at poon-trapping.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Prez » 02 Jun 2007, 06:29

Since the Godfather (1 & 2) are on most people's list, I thought I'd put this here.

OG and Nova in the shoutbox wrote:
[Fri 22:03] Ogie Oglethorpe: at least the godfather is on
[Fri 22:04] Ogie Oglethorpe: nova why do black guys like scarface better than that?
[Fri 22:05] nasty nova: Tony Montana was a self-made man whereas mike corleone was someone who was born into it. personally, i think that Tony montana was very similar to Sonny Corleone, but that's just me
[Fri 22:08] Ogie Oglethorpe: The original godfather Vito was a self made man.
[Fri 22:08] Ogie Oglethorpe: you know, the orphan italian kid?
[Fri 22:09] nasty nova: yeah, but Vito isn't what the story is about. at least not in The Godfather 1
[Fri 22:10] Ogie Oglethorpe: most of it is. are you forgetting the Deniro parts?
[Fri 22:10] nasty nova: dood, i think you're thinking about the sequel. The Godfather is about Michael and his internal struggle to join the family business
[Fri 22:11] Ogie Oglethorpe: Michael wasn't really GF until part 2.
[Fri 22:11] Ogie Oglethorpe: put on Bravo
[Fri 22:12] nasty nova: i think you're off, broseph
[Fri 22:13] Ogie Oglethorpe: That whole Michael stuff doesn't start until it's half to 2/3 over
[Fri 22:13] Ogie Oglethorpe: dood i've seen these a million times.
[Fri 22:15] Ogie Oglethorpe: well except for the last one. once was enough.
[Fri 22:26] nasty nova: whatever, dood. i answered your questiom
[Fri 22:29] Ogie Oglethorpe: how? you said the reason is he's a self made man. i've had this on for an hour and a half and it's been about an immigrant kid killing his way to the top.
[Fri 22:29] nasty nova: what i was saying is that The Godfatheris more about Mike coming to grips that he's next in line to lead the family
[Fri 22:31] Ogie Oglethorpe: only after sonny dies which is close to the end
[Fri 22:33] nasty nova: for me, i found the "point" of the movie to happen at the end with the baptismal and the death of the other bosses
[Fri 22:33] Ogie Oglethorpe: i guess we are both right. the movie is so damn long it should be 2
[Fri 22:44] Briandean79: Vito said that Sonny couldn't lead the family, he was too violent
[Fri 22:45] nasty nova: haha, cna't help but think that's firstborn and Rickey
[Fri 22:46] Briandean79: And Nova's right, DeNiro was in 2, not 1.
[Fri 22:55] Ogie Oglethorpe: but he was gonna let him. i'm also 2 hours into it again and michael JUST showed up
[Fri 23:00] Ogie Oglethorpe: then who the fuck was i just watching as young Vito?

You were watching DeNiro as young Vito and BD was right he was in 2, not 1. It looks like you weren't actually watching The Godfather, you were watching "The Godfather Saga" which basically took the first two movies, edited them for TV and put them in chronological order (no flashbacks)... hence the confusion with DeNiro.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Scoring Machine » 02 Jun 2007, 13:14

RSNprez wrote:Since the Godfather (1 & 2) are on most people's list, I thought I'd put this here.

OG and Nova in the shoutbox wrote:
[Fri 22:03] Ogie Oglethorpe: at least the godfather is on
[Fri 22:04] Ogie Oglethorpe: nova why do black guys like scarface better than that?
[Fri 22:05] nasty nova: Tony Montana was a self-made man whereas mike corleone was someone who was born into it. personally, i think that Tony montana was very similar to Sonny Corleone, but that's just me
[Fri 22:08] Ogie Oglethorpe: The original godfather Vito was a self made man.
[Fri 22:08] Ogie Oglethorpe: you know, the orphan italian kid?
[Fri 22:09] nasty nova: yeah, but Vito isn't what the story is about. at least not in The Godfather 1
[Fri 22:10] Ogie Oglethorpe: most of it is. are you forgetting the Deniro parts?
[Fri 22:10] nasty nova: dood, i think you're thinking about the sequel. The Godfather is about Michael and his internal struggle to join the family business
[Fri 22:11] Ogie Oglethorpe: Michael wasn't really GF until part 2.
[Fri 22:11] Ogie Oglethorpe: put on Bravo
[Fri 22:12] nasty nova: i think you're off, broseph
[Fri 22:13] Ogie Oglethorpe: That whole Michael stuff doesn't start until it's half to 2/3 over
[Fri 22:13] Ogie Oglethorpe: dood i've seen these a million times.
[Fri 22:15] Ogie Oglethorpe: well except for the last one. once was enough.
[Fri 22:26] nasty nova: whatever, dood. i answered your questiom
[Fri 22:29] Ogie Oglethorpe: how? you said the reason is he's a self made man. i've had this on for an hour and a half and it's been about an immigrant kid killing his way to the top.
[Fri 22:29] nasty nova: what i was saying is that The Godfatheris more about Mike coming to grips that he's next in line to lead the family
[Fri 22:31] Ogie Oglethorpe: only after sonny dies which is close to the end
[Fri 22:33] nasty nova: for me, i found the "point" of the movie to happen at the end with the baptismal and the death of the other bosses
[Fri 22:33] Ogie Oglethorpe: i guess we are both right. the movie is so damn long it should be 2
[Fri 22:44] Briandean79: Vito said that Sonny couldn't lead the family, he was too violent
[Fri 22:45] nasty nova: haha, cna't help but think that's firstborn and Rickey
[Fri 22:46] Briandean79: And Nova's right, DeNiro was in 2, not 1.
[Fri 22:55] Ogie Oglethorpe: but he was gonna let him. i'm also 2 hours into it again and michael JUST showed up
[Fri 23:00] Ogie Oglethorpe: then who the fuck was i just watching as young Vito?

You were watching DeNiro as young Vito and BD was right he was in 2, not 1. It looks like you weren't actually watching The Godfather, you were watching "The Godfather Saga" which basically took the first two movies, edited them for TV and put them in chronological order (no flashbacks)... hence the confusion with DeNiro.

Wow, I had NO idea they did that, that's really really dick. I'm glad I've never watched either movie on TV, just DVD.
2005 SOTSG Fantasy Baseball Champion
05-06 SOTSG Fantasy Hoops Champion
2006 SOTSG Fantasy Golf Champion

Q. How do they practice safe sex at Oregon State?
A. By placing a warning sign on the animals that kick
Scoring Machine
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Rodney Farva » 03 Jun 2007, 20:35

agreed that they're better as two movies as originally made, but i've seen the godfather saga a couple times and, much like either movie, it's an absolute remote stopper for me that always sucks me in and i know i'm going to watch the whole damned thing no matter what else is on or how late it is. i think the saga holds up really damned well and makes for excellent viewing.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: 5 Greatest movies of all time(can be non-sports related)

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 26 Aug 2011, 11:12

BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 am:
Sandman: how bout you go ahead and list your 5 favorite movies of all time, with a blurb about each.

This probably changes occasionally, but here are a few movies that I have always loved, and probably always will. I generally like comedies better because I like to laugh, and they are more rewatchable than dramas.

5. The Breakfast Club

When I was a kid, I though this movie was super deep and shit like that. It's probably not, but I will still watch it anytime its on. The dialogue in the first half hour is top notch, and Bender tormenting everyone is great.

@ 9:59. "Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?" "No, Mr. Johnson".

It also inspired WampaOne's :sniff: sig:

It's main downfall is its lack of hot girls. But in real life, Anthony Michael Hall did go on to marry a hot girl:

Finally.....

YES!

4. Super Troopers

Great characters, great lines. Introduced me to the term "canadian tuxedo". Farva kills the entire movie.

Bonus:

This girl is great:

Bonus 2:

This guy:

married this girl:

Suck it, world.

3. Youngblood

Rob Lowe as an American faggot trying to make it in the rough and tumble world of Canadian Junior Hockey. Great performance in small roles by Keanu Reeves as the French Canadien goalie and former NHLer Eric Nesterenko as Youngblood's dad. Underrated sex scene with Cynthia Gibb (seen below), where I'm pretty sure Lowe sticks his finger up her ass.

A story of overcoming your fears, the movie climaxes (heh) with [SPOILER ALERT] Youngblood scoring the winning goal, and then KO'ing the goon that has tormented him all season, Karl Racki.

2. Old School

Will Ferrell is usually pretty funny in the movies he stars in, but he's at his best as a supporting character, best evidenced in this movie. a few examples:

What that clip doesn't show is Will Ferrell opening and slamming the kitchen cupboards with a hockey stick, then breaking glass with it and trying to then sweep it up with the hockey stick.

"Maybe something really cool that I don't even know about". The nod to his wife after saying he'll only sleep with one woman for the rest of his life. Classic.

Who hasn't quoted this? /Simmons

This movie also brought most people their first glimpse of The Dan Band. I'd never heard of them before and almost shit myself when they sang total eclipse of the heart. And little touches like the giant portrait of Ferrell at his wedding (you can barely see it in the clip below), where he's got this totally retarded look on his face, and Vince Vaughn drunkenly singing "Lady" the Frank's wife while pointing at her crack me up all the time. 6-7 years ago me and a couple friends used to watch this while hungover pretty much every saturday for an entire summer. We were cool.

Bonus:

1. Dumb & Dumber

Jim Carrey at his best.

So many awesome lines in this. The scene above, Carrey apparently added in the "we've landed on the moon!" part, and from what I understand improvised a lot of the funny shit in this movie.

My favourite part of this is they make you laugh, and then when you think the joke is over, they top the last joke with another. Great example of this is below, when Lloyd tells Harry "you're hands are freezing". Gets me every time.

Bonus:

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Aug 2011, 11:39

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:05 am:
Sandman: how bout you go ahead and list your 5 favorite movies of all time, with a blurb about each.

This probably changes occasionally, but here are a few movies that I have always loved, and probably always will. I generally like comedies better because I like to laugh, and they are more rewatchable than dramas.

5. The Breakfast Club

When I was a kid, I though this movie was super deep and shit like that. It's probably not, but I will still watch it anytime its on. The dialogue in the first half hour is top notch, and Bender tormenting everyone is great.

@ 9:59. "Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?" "No, Mr. Johnson".

It also inspired WampaOne's :sniff: sig:

It's main downfall is its lack of hot girls. But in real life, Anthony Michael Hall did go on to marry a hot girl:

Finally.....

YES!

4. Super Troopers

Great characters, great lines. Introduced me to the term "canadian tuxedo". Farva kills the entire movie.

Bonus:

This girl is great:

Bonus 2:

This guy:

married this girl:

Suck it, world.

3. Youngblood

Rob Lowe as an American faggot trying to make it in the rough and tumble world of Canadian Junior Hockey. Great performance in small roles by Keanu Reeves as the French Canadien goalie and former NHLer Eric Nesterenko as Youngblood's dad. Underrated sex scene with Cynthia Gibb (seen below), where I'm pretty sure Lowe sticks his finger up her ass.

A story of overcoming your fears, the movie climaxes (heh) with [SPOILER ALERT] Youngblood scoring the winning goal, and then KO'ing the goon that has tormented him all season, Karl Racki.

2. Old School

Will Ferrell is usually pretty funny in the movies he stars in, but he's at his best as a supporting character, best evidenced in this movie. a few examples:

What that clip doesn't show is Will Ferrell opening and slamming the kitchen cupboards with a hockey stick, then breaking glass with it and trying to then sweep it up with the hockey stick.

"Maybe something really cool that I don't even know about". The nod to his wife after saying he'll only sleep with one woman for the rest of his life. Classic.

Who hasn't quoted this? /Simmons

This movie also brought most people their first glimpse of The Dan Band. I'd never heard of them before and almost shit myself when they sang total eclipse of the heart. And little touches like the giant portrait of Ferrell at his wedding (you can barely see it in the clip below), where he's got this totally retarded look on his face, and Vince Vaughn drunkenly singing "Lady" the Frank's wife while pointing at her crack me up all the time. 6-7 years ago me and a couple friends used to watch this while hungover pretty much every saturday for an entire summer. We were cool.

Bonus:

1. Dumb & Dumber

Jim Carrey at his best.

So many awesome lines in this. The scene above, Carrey apparently added in the "we've landed on the moon!" part, and from what I understand improvised a lot of the funny shit in this movie.

My favourite part of this is they make you laugh, and then when you think the joke is over, they top the last joke with another. Great example of this is below, when Lloyd tells Harry "you're hands are freezing". Gets me every time.

Bonus:

You dirty little liar.

You are deeper than this. I know The Notebook or Schindlers is in your top 5.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 26 Aug 2011, 11:44

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:You dirty little liar.

You are deeper than this. I know The Notebook or Schindlers is in your top 5.

First of all, great job quoting that entire post :/

Second, I'm sorry to disappoint you. I did see the Notebook. Didn't care for it. I have not seen Schindler's List.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Jew Jitsu » 26 Aug 2011, 11:52

The Notebook was a good movie, I don't know why hater's hate
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby SDGuy » 26 Aug 2011, 12:42

Agreed on #2 and #4 - those are both in my top 5, I think. Like #5 and #1 but probably not in my top 5. Good list.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby Gregs Kite » 26 Aug 2011, 12:46

Oh the cliffhanger......WHAT ABOUT THREE??!!?!
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

PreviousNext

Return to Movies