5 Greatest movies of all time(can be non-sports related)

5 Greatest movies of all time(can be non-sports related)

Postby jack_daniels » 01 Dec 2004, 18:00

Here are my 5:
1. The Godfather(the one that started it all)
2. The Godfather Part II(imo better than the first one)
3. Scarface(most over-the-top villain you will ever see in any movie-and I loved it)
4. Ususal Suspects(the ending just blew me away)
5. Pulp Fiction(Tarantino's masterpiece)
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Tecmo Bo » 01 Dec 2004, 18:02

Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
The Godfather
Star Wars
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Because it just isn't Christmas until you see Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and hear Burl Ives sing.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby JohnnyRyall » 01 Dec 2004, 18:40

My top 5 movies (in no particular order):

Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Saving Private Ryan
Rushmore
Matrix
JohnnyRyall
n00b

Re: 5 Greatest movies of all time(can be non-sports related)

Postby Snake » 01 Dec 2004, 23:13

jack_daniels wrote:Here are my 5:
1. The Godfather(the one that started it all)
2. The Godfather Part II(imo better than the first one)
3. Scarface(most over-the-top villain you will ever see in any movie-and I loved it)
4. Ususal Suspects(the ending just blew me away)
5. Pulp Fiction(Tarantino's masterpiece)

Damn, do you like any movies that aren't about master criminals?

anyway mine are in no particular order

1. The Boondock Saints (if you haven't seen this, do it. now. no, you don't have a choice.)

2. Scary Movie 1 (When it first came out, whenever I went to a movie I always hopped into Scary Movie afterwards, saw it something like 15 times this way).

3. Waiting For Guffman/Spinal Tap/Mighty Wind/Best In Show (All hysterical. Definitely worth your time to see them all).

4. The Last Man on Earth (Classic Vincent Price, this is the original zombie movie, and if you like zombie movies check this one out).

5. The Usual Suspects (I'm not sure how many times I've seen this movie, but I catch something new every time.)
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby jack_daniels » 02 Dec 2004, 01:15

heh heh....I guess I didn't have as open mind as I thought. But you have to understand the people tha I chum with and the overall lifestyle of a brown kid like me....you won't see someone like me watching Citizen Kane or (ugh) Shakespeare in Love.
I don't know it's too complicated to explain. But there are other non-criminal movies that I did enjoy:
Memento
Office Space
any pre-Nixon Oliver Stone Movie
The Pianist
Dog Day Afternoon
ummm......it's kinda hard when some form of criminal activity isn't incorporated you know lol.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby TheWolf » 02 Dec 2004, 08:59

My five favorites:

Usual Suspects
Rounders
Super Troopers (clearly not a "great" movie by any definition, but I just can't watch it enough times)
Seven
American History X
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby Frank the Tank » 02 Dec 2004, 09:12

I've been accused by my wife of having more than thirty movies in my "top ten of all time" list, and she's probably right. Here are the five that come to mind immediately:

-House of Games
-Bull Durham
-Unforgiven
-The Matrix (the original only)
-Goodfellas

Lots of others like The Karate Kid, Star Wars (ep IV), Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Naked Gun, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, etc. all would have had a great chance to make the list if I had posted this list after a few more caffeinated beverages.
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Big Scary Monster » 02 Dec 2004, 11:59

TheWolf wrote:My five favorites:

Super Troopers (clearly not a "great" movie by any definition, but I just can't watch it enough times)

I am with you on this one. Its a great movie and I will always remember the first time I saw it. We were at the midnight showing at a Theater near the college campus and we were surrounded by the drunkest, wildest audience I have ever experienced in a movie... and every time Neil Patrick Harris would come on, someone would scream "DOOOOGIE" and the whole place would errupt. And the action scenes were awesome on the big screen.
Big Scary Monster
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Dunking Donut » 02 Dec 2004, 12:59

A) Dances With Wolves
B) Braveheart
C) Pulp Fiction
D) Star Wars Trilogy (first ones)
E) Fight Club

I didn't want to use a numbering system because my mood can determine what my favorite movie is. But these 5, whenever I catch them on TV, I have to watch.
Dunking Donut
The Bomb Dick

Postby Tecmo Bo » 02 Dec 2004, 13:32

Dunk, with Dances with Wolves at the top of your list, you'd better be either A) a chick (I've never noticed one way or the other) or B) have the last name Christie or Warner. If neither applies, we're scheduling an intervention.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby TheWolf » 02 Dec 2004, 15:31

[quote=Big Scary Monster] and every time Neil Patrick Harris would come on, someone would scream "DOOOOGIE" and the whole place would errupt. And the action scenes were awesome on the big screen.[/quote]

Neil Patrick Harris wasn't in Super Troopers. Maybe you're thinking of Starship Troopers?
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby TheWolf » 02 Dec 2004, 15:33

Like Frank, my top 10 list definitely includes way more than 10. The five I gave before were just the first 5 of of my favorites that came to mind. Others near the top include Braveheart, Pulp Fiction, Caddyshack, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Kill Bill 1 & 2, and Goodfellas.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby howboutafrescahmmm » 02 Dec 2004, 15:47

Well Tecmo I was about to crap all you over for putting Rudolf on that list, until I remembered I watched it last night...sigh...I end up watching it every year.

1. Boondock Saints
2. The Usual Suspects
3. Rushmore
4. The Big Leboski
5. Empire of the Sun (don't feel bad almost no one has seen it)
"The Yankees have that guy (Tony) Womack playing left field," Henderson said. "If I can't play that position at least as well as he can, I'll hang up the spikes right now.'' ? Rickey Henderson.
howboutafrescahmmm
Etiquette Instructor

Postby TheWolf » 02 Dec 2004, 15:56

I've never understood why so many people like Boondock Saints so much. Maybe it's just me, but I felt like the whole movie was just the exact same thing happening over and over again. I thought it could have been about an hour shorter and still been the same movie. I just didn't enjoy it much. But I've talked to several people who generally share my tastes in movies, and they loved it. I don't know, maybe I have to watch it again.
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby jack_daniels » 02 Dec 2004, 16:21

Has anyone seen Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels? That was an excellent movie, Ritchie's best(Snatch is just recycled material of this one imo), but many criticized the movie for being too "Tarantinoesque." What aloas of crap. He may have invented the subgenre of non-linear story-telling but does that mean he's the only one who can use it? You need another person's viewpoint with this amazing way of telling a story.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Next

Return to Movies