Spork Flicks

Spork Flicks

Postby vballstud » 23 Oct 2005, 20:10

Ok, so I'm writing a research paper on the evolution of sports movies, and I'm including a section on sports flicks (yes, im giving the Sports GUy credit for the idea). DOes anyone know of some good ones, preferrably 1990 or later. I all ready thought of Jerry Maguire, Tin Cup, and Fever Pitch.
vballstud
Doug Christie

Re: Spork Flicks

Postby PhillyJim76 » 23 Oct 2005, 20:13

vballstud wrote:Ok, so I'm writing a research paper on the evolution of sports movies, and I'm including a section on sports flicks (yes, im giving the Sports GUy credit for the idea). DOes anyone know of some good ones, preferrably 1990 or later. I all ready thought of Jerry Maguire, Tin Cup, and Fever Pitch.

Air Bud
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Postby mister bacon » 23 Oct 2005, 20:15

Bend it like Beckham.
Friday Night Lights.
Above The Rim.
A League of their own.
Neccessary Roughness.
Major League
Major League II
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

bostonsucksmyballs wrote: I dont want to lose cred here.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby sportsdorkhater » 23 Oct 2005, 20:18

kareem's performance was a tour de force
sportsdorkhater
The Unicorn

Postby jack_daniels » 23 Oct 2005, 22:46

Any Given Sunday.

Slapshot :lol: .
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JohnnyDamon » 23 Oct 2005, 22:47

She said since 1990...Slapshot was released in 1977.

EDIT: How about Space Jam?
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 23 Oct 2005, 22:57

Miracle was well done.

I've heard pretty good things about Coach Carter, but I never saw it.

If you were writing about how sports movies evolved, then Any Given Sunday would actually be a good one, because it really brought the psychotic fast-paced editing to a sports movies. Whether that's good or bad really depends on your taste I guess.

All the ones Bacon named are good ones.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JohnnyDamon » 23 Oct 2005, 22:59

Coach Carter was a very good movie, but it wasn't as good as Hoosiers, something my brother said...but it wasn't bad. My one beef was that they referred to a kid as "the next LeBron James," but the movie was supposed to be set in 1999, when LeBron James was a 14-year-old freshman basketball player for St. Vincent/St. Mary's.
I've grown so used to you somehow, Lord I'm nobody's sugar daddy now, and I'm lo-oo-onesome, I've got the lovesick blues.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Oct 2005, 00:47

On sports' movies credibility for a tried and tested movie fan.

Sports movies, like simmons' writing is just fodder for light debate and laughs. If you watched The Longest Yard, you mights laughed at Kevin Nash becoming a priss, or you mighta laughed at The Mighy Ducks' ineptitude before the standard theme sequence where they inexplicable become better.

To watch sports movies, you gotta have a huge suspension of disbelief to the point where youd come to expect a Stallone dinosaur to take some pepto bismol and fuckin start beating heads like popeye on his shit.

That is pathetic. Good cinema is designed such that you could experience whatever goes on, find a correlation between the topic and your opinion of the movies' interpretation. Sports movies does not do this. It should not be considered legit cinema in the same breadth as documentaries, war movies, biofics, and period epics.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Oct 2005, 00:54

So a movie like Sixth Sense, when you see fucking DEAD PEOPLE doesn't , or like in the Patriot when one guy took out an entire British battalion DOESN'T make you suspend your belief, but a movie about a small high school in Indiana winning a state basketball title in the '50s does? That was fucking absurd, _.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Oct 2005, 01:01

It's not only the suspension of disbelief. It's also the atrocious writing, acting, directing, and screenplay.

Most of the heavy hitters in Hollywood dont see any incentive to star or produce in any regular sports flick, this already dimishing the product. Factor in the cappy technical aspects, then you know why sports flicks usually suck.

The Sixth Sense and The Patriot sucksby the way. I never said those thrillers and dramas were immune from sucking. Heaven's Gate anyone? Copolla's nail in the coffin, career wise.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Oct 2005, 01:02

Fair enough...but remember, Rocky and Million Dollar Baby have won best picture awards, and they're sports movies.
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Oct 2005, 01:07

And who takes what the Academy decides on seriously anyway? The same academy who overlooked Requiem for a Dream in 2000 for The Gladiator? They should be shot down for their foolish decisions over the years.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby JohnnyDamon » 24 Oct 2005, 01:11

I liked Gladiator, but RFAD was better...my favorite Academy moment is buying the hype and selecting Titanic over LA Confidential in '98 (and yes, I've seen Titanic one more time than Wolfie...but not by choice. I went with my parents to see it when it first came out because they thought it would be "historical." It was a very good day for the just entering puberty Damon, though, when Kate Winslet got all nekkid.)
JohnnyDamon
The Bomb Dick

Postby jack_daniels » 24 Oct 2005, 01:16

The biggest disappointments came in the 70's.

Al Pacino got nominated for Godfather I, Godfather II, and Dog Day Afternoon, as well as ....And Justice For All. He didn't win once. Some of the best performances in the 70's, maybe in history, by this amazing actor and he still got overlooked.

Same with Scorceses. The most important and influential director since Taxi Driver came out, he has been overlooked more times than Hench ignores Simmons' late night booty calls.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Next

Return to Movies