Looking back on an old classic

Looking back on an old classic

Postby NFL Outsider » 26 May 2005, 17:51

The recent steroid ?scandal? has finally ruined a movie that I once enjoyed in my childhood, the Slugger?s Wife. We finally learn that Darryl Palmer?s (Michael O?Keefe) home run surge was not because for his wife Debby (Rebecca De Mornay). Instead it was Palmer and Moose Granger (Randy Quaid) shooting up in the bathroom under the strict orders of menacing manager Burly DeVito (Martin Ritt) that led Palmer to break Roger Maris? home run record.

Where has my innocence gone?

How dated does this movie seem to you today? And not in a Terminator?s special effects kind of way. The home run record looked pretty safe when the movie was made in 1985. But the movie?s depiction of what would happen (and how somebody would react to breaking the record) were rather under whelming when you think back to all of the hoopla of 1998.

I mean, you would think that Palmer would be a little bit more excited than McGwire acted seeing that he didn?t cheat and use illegal substances to break the mark. And really, is it really a home run race without thinking of the bad haircuts of the Maris kids?

Too bad George Lucas can?t buy the rights for this film and update it a little bit more based on current events. We find out that Debby really left Darryl because steroids had not only affect his personality, but it didn?t really lend for some solid wood in the bedroom. Granger could eventually become a broke and vengeful ex-teammate that will eventually write a tell-all book about Palmer.

Orlando Jones could add some pounds and play a Dominican slugger that chases Palmer in terms of steroid use and with a corked back. A Ted Kennedy appearance where he mangles Palmer?s name, along with the manager admitting that he knew about Palmer?s drug use, but takes a job in St. Louis where he loses to Boston in the World Series, and I think you have yourself a good movie.
NFL Outsider
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Tecmo Bo » 27 May 2005, 09:41

As far as the Hoopla, the mid 80's were a different era than the late 90's. Cable was still fairly novel and certainly not as common as it is today. ESPN was barely 5 years old, the World Wide Web didn't even exist yet.
bosux191820042090: what kills more is that now more than ever the team needs him[A-Rod] to put it on his back, and he can't...i hate to say this, but if given a choice i would rather have ortiz on my team any day
Tecmo Bo
The Bomb Dick

Postby Snake » 27 May 2005, 15:21

Rebecca DeMornay was always an underrated hot chick to me.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby Nelson Muntz » 02 Jun 2005, 21:01

Rebecca DeMornay totally freaked me out in "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle." I just can't get past that. I am actually getting the chills just typing this.

But that movie starred another underrated hottie -- Annabella Sciorra. You youngins may only remember her getting throttled by Tony Soprano at the zoo, or chucking a porterhouse at his head.
Nelson Muntz
Another dude worth meeting

Re: Looking back on an old classic

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 13 Sep 2013, 12:12

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Re:

Postby Montecore's Revenge » 14 Sep 2013, 09:48

Tecmo Bo wrote:the mid 80's were a different era than the late 90's.

^^^Underrated point
Montecore's Revenge
The Angel of Death

Postby Prez » 27 Jan 2014, 14:31

Mother Jugs and Speed is a classic that I haven't seen in years. Bill Cosby, a young Raquel Welch (and her titties) and Harvey Keitel. If you're open to a film from the 70's, I recommend. Top notch sound design.

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 27 Jan 2014, 14:41

But do you REALLY get to see her titties?
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Briandong79 » 25 Feb 2015, 12:07

PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Gregs Kite » 23 Mar 2015, 07:35

Oral history of one of the most influential and powerful films in cinematic history.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 26 Jul 2016, 15:23

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Goose » 26 Jul 2016, 16:01

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:

That's a GREAT movie. I watch it with my kids all of the time.

Balls: I know a guy who came home after high school one day to over hear his mom and dad having a 3some with another lady. He actually went to beat off during it in his room.
mister bacon: Wow no wonder PJ is so fucked up.
Goose
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Gregs Kite » 29 Jul 2016, 09:15

Here is a link to an enjoyable read about "Stand By Me" that you might enjoy reading.
Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm Clayton Bigsby i enjoy sports

Magnum - Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm: perhaps my reaction was built up greg hatred finally coming through. fuck that guy.

Frank the Tank wrote:If I die I leave my red font to Kite.
Gregs Kite
Friend of Friends

Postby TheWolf » 29 Jul 2016, 23:09

Gregs Kite wrote:Here is a link to an enjoyable read about "Stand By Me" that you might enjoy reading.

Rob Reiner wrote:Originally Adrian Lyne ctz31 was involved in it and he had just finished “9 1/2 Weeks inches” and he was really exhausted.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
TheWolf
Hand-Holder

Postby ctz31 » 20 Aug 2016, 20:35

TheWolf wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:Here is a link to an enjoyable read about "Stand By Me" that you might enjoy reading.

Rob Reiner wrote:Originally Adrian Lyne ctz31 was involved in it and he had just finished “9 1/2 Weeks inches” and he was really exhausted.

This was a hilare post from the wolf, former sotsg poster who disappeared AGAIN. WON'T be getting my vote for the hall of shitheads.
ctz31
#nnf

Next

Return to Movies