Olympic Hockey 2014

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 02 Jan 2014, 13:41

Big piece on how the 2014 US Men's Olympic team was constructed:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/stor ... -was-named
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Re: Olympic Hockey 2014

Postby CourtesyFlush » 02 Jan 2014, 14:13

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Big piece on how the 2014 US Men's Olympic team was constructed:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/stor ... -was-named

And someone is already butthurt about being left out
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 07 Jan 2014, 13:00

chrisco - Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 pm:
bix - ass. please break down your newly named men's olympic hockey team. is LOLuongo your starting keeper?

Goalies

Carey Price (MTL)
Roberto Luongo (VAN)
Mike Smith (PHO)

Price is the clear starter here. Lack of international experience may be cause for concern as well as his so-far mediocre NHL playoff numbers. But he's good. I expect Luongo would be next in line. Despite the occasional playoff meltdown, he's proven he can backstop a team to gold.

That being said, goaltending is a bit of a question mark for this team. Gone are the days when Canada could choose between hall of famers like Patrick Roy, Eddie Belfour and Martin Brodeur.

Defense

Jay Bouwmeester (STL)
Drew Doughty (LAK)
Dan Hamhuis (VAN)
Duncan Keith (CHI)
Alex Pietrangelo (STL)
PK Subban (MTL)
Marc-Édouard Vlasic (SJ)
Shea Weber (NAS)

Not a weak link in the bunch here. Weber, Keith and Doughty are three of the best in the business. Subban is the reigning Norris Trophy winner. Bouwmeester, Hamhuis, Vlasic and Pietrangelo are all solid. I would argue that this is the best defense group in the tournament.

Forwards

Jamie Benn (DAL)
Patrice Bergeron (BOS)
Jeff Carter (LAK)
Sidney Crosby (PIT)
Matt Duchene (COL)
Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)
Chris Kunitz (PIT)
Patrick Marleau (SJS)
Rick Nash (NYR)
Corey Perry (ANA)
Patrick Sharp (CHI)
Steven Stamkos (TBL)
John Tavares (NYI)
Jonathan Toews (CHI)

This is pretty bonerific. Toews is a beast. Crosby is pretty okay. Tavares, Stamkos, Perry. This team should be able to score. Bergeron, Sharp and Duchene can do the dirty work the stars might not want to do. A bit of ho potential up front with Crosby, Carter and Nash. But I like this group. Notable omissions are Joe Thornton, Martin St. Louis, and Claude Giroux. I couldn't see those guys not being on any other team's roster.

Obviously I am predicting gold for my country, but the international ice surface is a big issue. Since NHLers have been competing in the Olympics, when the games have been on North American ice surface, Canada and the US have been gold/silver each time. When on the big surface, neither of them has won a medal. The Russians will be going hard for gold in front of their home fans, and I completely expect some sort of shadiness will occur that will help the Russians out at some point in the tournament. I predict Canada Gold, Russia Silver, Sweden Bronze. America out in the quarterfinals. :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland: :ourhomeandnativeland:
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 07 Jan 2014, 13:50

LOL Jeff Carter made it and Giroux didnt?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby SouthernYokel » 07 Jan 2014, 16:05

my son has a Toews blackhawks onesie. he shat up the back of it the other day. bad omen for either canadia or the blackhawks, not sure which.
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 09 Jan 2014, 10:46

Had an ass to preview the US Men's Olympic team.

The selection process was broken down nicely here: http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/stor ... -was-named
You can kill a good portion of your work day reading that.

Goalies:

Jonathan Quick (LA Kings)
Ryan Miller (BuffaLOL Sabres)
Jimmy Howard (Det Red Wings)

Quick is coming off injury and is currently being rushed back into service by the stuggling Kings. Missed 24 games due to groin injury. Came back and beat the Couv 3-1. Lost 2-1 (second goal via shootout) to Sota Wild in his second game back. If healthy, will get most of the playing time. Though prone to occassional brain farts:

If he falters, Ryan Miller is good enough to step in. Jimmy Howard shouldn't have been picked for the #3 spot. The 6'7" Ben Bishop more than earned that spot with his play in the first half of the season for the 'Ning.

Defense:

John Carlson (Washington Capitals)
Justin Faulk (Carolina Hurricanes)
Cam Fowler (Anaheim Mighty Ducks)
Paul Martin (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Ryan McDonagh (NY Rangers)
Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Kevin Shattenkirk (St. Louis Blues)
Ryan Suter (Minnesota Wild)

There was a time, during my fantasy hockey days, where I could tell you a lot about most players in the league. Those days are long gone. What I can tell you is that this is a young, inexperienced group. The blue line will be the weakness of Team USA. Additionally, how will this unit react to the much larger international ice surface? Will they be able to shut down the opposition or will they get gassed trying to cover that additional space. Maybe their youthful legs will be a blessing.

Forwards:

David Backes (St. Louis Blues)
Dustin Brown (LA Kings)
Ryan Callahan (NY Rangers)
Patrick Kane (Shitcago Blackhawks)
Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks)
Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs)
T.J. Oshie (St. Louis Blues)
Max Pacioretty (Montreal Canadiens)
Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild)
Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks)
Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche)
Derek Stepan (NY Rangers)
James van Riemsdyk (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Blake Wheeler (Winnepeg Jets)

Lot of butthurt out there about the Olympic committee snubbing Bobby Ryan. Meh. He's too one dimensional. There's enough offensive talent to get by without him. I like having Backes and Oshie paired upon the third line to shut down their opponents, and paired up on the PK.

USA will need to bust its ass in pool play to get one of the four BYEs into the Quarterfinals of the tourney. Top 4 teams in overall pool play get those BYEs. USA has the unfortunate situation of having to play Russia in pool play. Will need to run up the score on Slovenia and Slovakia and hope to secure a top 4 seed. You don't want to get stuck having to play your way, single elimination style, into the Quarterfinals.

Group A
Russia
Slovenia
Slovakia
United States

Group B
Austria
Canada
Finland
Norway

Group C
Czech Republic
Latvia
Switzerland
Sweden

Watch over this team, Saint Herbie, guide them to victory.

Herb Brooks wrote:Success is won by those who believe in winning and then prepare for that moment. Many want to win, but how many prepare? That is the big difference. A sound value system held water then, holds water today, and will hold water in the future.

USA prediction:

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby chrisco » 10 Jan 2014, 09:46

SUOMI
The Lion In Winter

Pros:

Goaltending: We have 7 of the top 8 goalies in the world. Too bad we can't run all 3 Finnish goalies out at the same time. Look for my man Tuukka to get the starting nod, with Niemi ably backing him up.

Intangibles: Finland punches well above their weight class and regularly makes mincemeat out of more talented, finesse oriented euro squads. We've gpt buckets and buckets of grit, determination, and experience. You will not see any USA in Nagano, or Russia every winter games coming out of our locker room.

History: Finland has medaled in 3 of the last 4 games and has a reputation as giant killers. We also just won the world under 11 championship or some other tournament no one really pays any attention to.

Cons:

Age: Finland is old. National hero Teemu Selanne is 443 and decided not to die this year just so he can play in this tournament. He is not the player he used to be, but he's going to give Finland one of the best 3rd lines in the tournament.

Firepower: We do not have any prolific scorers. Finland will need to keep in close to stay in this tournament.

Koivus: Our Koivus are not what they used to be. Saku took himself out of consideration because he's old, hurt, and just couldn't get in shape. Mikko busted up his ankle, and will be coming back just before the games.

Attractiveness: We are not Sweden. Here is the best I could do in this department.

Put Feb 16th on your calendars. The last game of pool play features Canada vs. Finland and will dictate who gets the bye and who needs to play their way into the quarters. I see Finland losing that 3-1, then making their way into the quarters by trouncing Slovenia or some other bum country. After that it's upset time.

The Prediction: I like them bouncing the USA then going on to defeat a listless Russia in the bronze medal match.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 14 Jan 2014, 18:09

David Backes buys gear for the US Sled Hockey team:

http://touchpointmedia.uberflip.com/i/231915/5
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 05 Feb 2014, 18:04

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 07 Feb 2014, 09:48

Clayton Bigsby wrote:Stamkos out

Replaced by Marty St. Louis #talkingtomyself
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby SouthernYokel » 07 Feb 2014, 10:19

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Clayton Bigsby wrote:Stamkos out

Replaced by Marty St. Louis #talkingtomyself

beefy legs
JT99 wrote:imagine working your entire board life on being a guy investigating every nook and cranny of others' sexual lives only to have some drunken baboon stumble into the r&t jackpot
SouthernYokel
Hank the Hangover Turtle

Postby Dthefritz » 07 Feb 2014, 10:54

It appears that are Czech Republic has Petr Nedved on the roster (who's 42 and hasn't played in the NHL since 2007). Jiri Hudler was apparently squeezed out in favor of some guys playing in Europe. Sounds like they really know what they're doing over there.

These moves were widely applauded by Czech women.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 07 Feb 2014, 10:58

Dthefritz wrote:It appears that are Czech Republic has Petr Nedved on the roster (who's 42 and hasn't played in the NHL since 2007). Jiri Hudler was apparently squeezed out in favor of some guys playing in Europe. Sounds like they really know what they're doing over there.

These moves were widely applauded by Czech women.

Petr Nedved was once married to her:

He has and continues to lead a good life.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 07 Feb 2014, 10:59

DTF, can we get a breakdown of the Czech roster and a prediction for how they'll fare?

ETA:

a) DTF's link is NSFW
b) Nedved is a former Olympic medal winner for Canada. What a traitor!
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Dthefritz » 07 Feb 2014, 11:35

Clayton Bigsby wrote:DTF, can we get a breakdown of the Czech roster and a prediction for how they'll fare?

ETA:

a) DTF's link is NSFW
b) Nedved is a former Olympic medal winner for Canada. What a traitor!

LOL, I don't know who half the roster even is. You've got some washed up guys like Jagr, Elias, and Tomas Kaberle. But they're veterans and stuff so yay. Marek Zidlicky is pretty good, Michal Rozsival was one of the most relentlessly booed players in Rangers history (which is saying something), Zbynek Michalek and Lukas Krajicek rounding out the defensive corps (don't know much about them). Not totally sold, seems like a lot of finesse guys.

Forward has some good talent with David Krejci, Ales Hemsky, and Jakub Voracek, but nobody's who's really going to scare you too much.

They have only one goalie with NHL experience, Ondrej Pavelec who is currently 42nd in the NHL in Save Percentage. On the plus side, he can help America's blacks further expand the spelling of the name Andre, an area in which I think they've stagnated a bit over the past few years.

Supposedly, there are some real standouts from the Czech Extraliga and the KHL on the roster. Why would they make that up?

Howeva, the revenge for '68 factor cannot be denied. Team Captain and last holdover from the '98 gold medal team Jagr even wears #68. What could be a more heartwarming story than these scrappy underdogs skating to the gold on Russian soil?

Prediction: In Simmons Sportswriter Sports Movie Intangible Fantasyland - Gold. In the real world - bronze or bust.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Next

Return to NHL