Not Your Father's Whalers: The Carolina Hurricanes

Not Your Father's Whalers: The Carolina Hurricanes

Postby CourtesyFlush » 04 Oct 2010, 16:08

Since there have been a couple of new NHL team threads popping up today (Blue Jackets and Predators, although both names sound made up) I figured a Hurricanes thread would be a hotbed of activity going forward.

I know they have a few players I've heard of before (ok one--Eric Staal) and they play in the same arena my Wolfpack plays in, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Apparently they have something called a Storm Squad and an official Hurricane mascot:

Last edited by CourtesyFlush on 05 Oct 2010, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Re: Your Father's Whalers: The Carolina Hurricanes

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Oct 2010, 16:10

Strong first post. You put my first post in the Predz thread to shame. Nonetheless, the Predators will dominate your Hurricanes. Rest assured of that, my friend.

ETA: Is the big black guy the mascot?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby TVF wannabe » 04 Oct 2010, 16:12

Colonel Angus wrote:Strong first post. You put my first post in the Predz thread to shame. Nonetheless, the Predators will dominate your Hurricanes. Rest assured of that, my friend.

he's got the tits of a cheerleader but I doubt he is one.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby CourtesyFlush » 04 Oct 2010, 16:13

Colonel Angus wrote:Strong first post. You put my first post in the Predz thread to shame. Nonetheless, the Predators will dominate your Hurricanes. Rest assured of that, my friend.

Not sure who the big black guy is in that picture. I'm thinking maybe the goalie...

Their official mascot is a pig (as an ode to the region's love of barbecue) and his name is Stormy:

Gregs Kite - Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:24 pm: I don't know, my Wolfpack can be sneaky good in these games

JichaelDick - Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 am: Fulsh, you truly are the best North Carolinian ever. Sorry, Andy Griffith.
CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Colonel Angus » 04 Oct 2010, 16:14

CourtesyFlush wrote:

Not sure who the big black guy is in that picture. I'm thinking maybe the goalie...

Their official mascot is a pig (as an ode to the region's love of barbecue) and his name is Stormy:

Stormy the Pig. Wow, that is stellar.
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby mj3528 » 04 Oct 2010, 16:21

I think it should be your goal this season to hook up with any member of the Storm Squad except for the big black guy.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 04 Oct 2010, 16:25

mj3528 wrote:I think it should be your goal this season to hook up with any member of the Storm Squad except for the big black guy.

At minimum finger blast one.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby CourtesyFlush » 04 Oct 2010, 16:32

mj3528 wrote:I think it should be your goal this season to hook up with any member of the Storm Squad except for the big black guy.

'Goal'...I see what you did there.

A google search uncovered a quick SI.com article where one of the girls (back row, far left I believe) was featured. She really doesn't seem all that hot in the pic above, but she's pretty cute in the SI.com feature.

The SI.com article also references something called the Stanley Cup of Girls. The lovely below was one of the featured girls:

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Prez » 04 Oct 2010, 18:08

BOOOOOO on the thread title. The Whalers are only in Hartford.

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Re: Not Your Father's Whalers: The Carolina Hurricanes

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Oct 2010, 08:18

That pig is the worst mascot ever. They should put an apple in his mouth and roast him on a spit.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby CourtesyFlush » 05 Oct 2010, 09:22

Frank the Tank wrote:That pig is the worst mascot ever. They should put an apple in his mouth and roast him on a spit.

Agree...like every other professional franchise in North Carolina they decided to do something half-ass. Still, the Storm Squad is a great idea.

Note to FTT and Prez: I changed the thread title to 'NOT Your Father's Whalers'

CourtesyFlush
Friend of Friends

Postby Colonel Angus » 05 Oct 2010, 13:41

CourtesyFlush wrote:Note to FTT and Prez: I changed the thread title to 'NOT Your Father's Whalers'

What will I tell my kid when she asks me where the Whalers of my youth are? I always assumed I would just tell her they moved to Carolina.
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 05 Oct 2010, 13:42

Colonel Angus wrote:
CourtesyFlush wrote:Note to FTT and Prez: I changed the thread title to 'NOT Your Father's Whalers'

What will I tell my kid when she asks me where the Whalers of my youth are? I always assumed I would just tell her they moved to Carolina.

Her father's Whalers remained in Hartford. The 'Canes are HER Whalers, not her father's.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Frank the Tank » 05 Oct 2010, 14:35

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Her father's Whalers remained in Hartford. The 'Canes are HER Whalers, not her father's.

Yes. Hartford kept the Whalers history, kind of like the Creve did when the Old Browns became the Ravens. The Hurricanes are owned by the guy who used to own the Whalers. They also had a very similar roster to the Whale. They even had the Whale's old coach. But they were not the Whalers.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Colonel Angus » 05 Oct 2010, 14:41

Frank the Tank wrote:
Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

Yes. Hartford kept the Whalers history, kind of like the Creve did when the Old Browns became the Ravens. The Hurricanes are owned by the guy who used to own the Whalers. They also had a very similar roster to the Whale. They even had the Whale's old coach. But they were not the Whalers.

Do they play Brass Bonanza?
- _, on Roberto Duran.
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Next

Return to NHL