The Columbus BLU Jackets

The Columbus BLU Jackets

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 04 Oct 2010, 11:24

Time for your 2010-2011 Blue Jackets preview. After an encouraging 2008-09 season, highlighted by goaltender (and Rookie of the Year) Steve Mason, Rick Nash's second 40-goal season and the teams first playoff appearance EVAH, 2009-10 was a hot fucking mess. This team stunk. If you count overtime losses as losses (which I do), this team lost 52 games, didn't even sniff the playoffs and were tied for the 4th worst record in the league. What caused this? The popular perception in the Buckeye State (among the 38 people that watch hockey) was that Steve Mason came crashing down to earth in a sophomore slump not seen in these parts since Joe Charboneau. Part of the blame might be due to injuries to key defensemen Mike Commodore and Rusty Klesla, but let's face it, when two of your key defensemen are Mike Commodore and Rusty Klesla, you've got bigger problems. Mason didn't suck, he just played on a shitty team that didn't help him out. The ice hockey team from The Discovery City might be able to score some goals this year, especially if Derek Brassard rebounds from a surprisingly shitty year last year. With him, Nash, Huselius and Umberger, they can put the puck in the net, but there defense is so shitty, it probably won't matter. Look for them to finish around the same place as last year as hockey dies a slow death in Columbus. Hopefully they don't kill any little girls this year.

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Re: The Columbus BLU Jackets

Postby mj3528 » 04 Oct 2010, 11:42

Thanks for the preview and a very nice Joe Charboneau reference.

Rusty Klesla was decent when I watched him. It is interesting that the Blue Jackets couldn't play good defense under Hitchcock last year. Whatever the reason for his failures last year Mason has to have a better year. Everything this team has tried to do has ultimately failed, except in the 2008-2009 season.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 04 Oct 2010, 13:10

Ha, I love that pic of the bench. Needs an image of Ah-nuld laughing or something.
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Dthefritz » 04 Oct 2010, 14:41

Clayton Bigsby wrote:let's face it, when two of your key defensemen are Mike Commodore and Rusty Klesla, you've got bigger problems.

You mean Fedor Tyutin didn't live up to his supposed potential? I'm shocked. I wonder if the Columbus announcers continued the annual MSG tradition of saying, "let me tell you, I think this is the year when Toots really puts it all together" for the first 20 games of the season and then ignoring him until the final 20 when they say "Tyutin didn't have the year he was looking for, but going forward I think he's going to be a KEY player in this organ-eye-zation."
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 15 Oct 2010, 10:10

Very few will care, but this is a good article on the 10 year history of the Columbus Blue Jackets

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/con ... ml?sid=101

I have fond memories of a lot of the events the article mentions. Bix, this would be a good article for you to read so you can jump on the CBJ bandwagon with BD and me.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 15 Oct 2010, 11:09

mj3528 wrote:Very few will care, but this is a good article on the 10 year history of the Columbus Blue Jackets

I have fond memories of a lot of the events the article mentions. Bix, this would be a good article for you to read so you can jump on the CBJ bandwagon with BD and me.

Come on, man. I bleed blue and green. And black, red-orange and yellow. And blue, red and silver.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby someguysomewhere » 16 Oct 2010, 13:11

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
mj3528 wrote:Very few will care, but this is a good article on the 10 year history of the Columbus Blue Jackets

Come on, man. I bleed blue and green. And black, red-orange and yellow. And blue, red and silver.

Throw some indigo and/or violet in there and we've about got it covered.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 11 Nov 2010, 08:57

The BLU J's are doing surprisingly well to start the season. Not quite sure how its happening. Mason's GAA is over 3, no one is averaging a point a game. But they sure made Iron Mike Sharpe's Blues eat it last night.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Dthefritz » 12 Nov 2010, 14:14

Clayton Bigsby wrote:The BLU J's are doing surprisingly well to start the season. Not quite sure how its happening. Mason's GAA is over 3, no one is averaging a point a game. But they sure made Iron Mike Sharpe's Blues eat it last night.

And they're 17th in PP and PK%. I think hockey needs some advanced stats gurus which would be great cause if you thought the baseball old-timers were condescending and dismissive...I mean could you imagine an interviewer telling Gordie Howe that some 26 year old blogger unearthed some stats indicating he was overrated?
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 19 Feb 2011, 16:58

Not much activity in this thread, but the CBJ is making a push for the play-offs. Good win over the Blackhawks last night. It looks like they will have to hope Mason regains his form from 2 seasons ago as Garon has been horrible.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby mj3528 » 23 Feb 2011, 10:30

Big win for the Blue Jackets over Colonel's Preds last night. Mason gets the shutout, but only faces 20 shots. The Jackets are now only 2 points out of the final play-off spot.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 23 Feb 2011, 10:34

The BLUs are playing well. If Mason can stay hot for the last 25 games, they have a shot.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby mj3528 » 01 Mar 2011, 12:38

Tough loss to Colonel's Preds. They needed those 2 points to keep pace for the last spot. After the road trip to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and St. Louis, we will know if they have a chance. That could be bad because the Blue Jackets traditionally have trouble with the trip to Western Canada.

Bix, can I have a break down of the Klesla trade? The Columbus media seems to think it was a good move. Klesla just could never make the leap. /Simmons
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 01 Mar 2011, 13:01

mj3528 wrote:Tough loss to Colonel's Preds. They needed those 2 points to keep pace for the last spot. After the road trip to Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and St. Louis, we will know if they have a chance. That could be bad because the Blue Jackets traditionally have trouble with the trip to Western Canada.

Bix, can I have a break down of the Klesla trade? The Columbus media seems to think it was a good move. Klesla just could never make the leap. /Simmons

Pretty meh move. I've always liked Upshall's game and was surprised he never made the leap. I think basically this is a sideways move for each team.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby mj3528 » 04 Mar 2011, 12:05

Bad loss to Edmonton last night. They really needed those points against a bad team, even on the road. Mason looking shaky again is not a positive sign for their dwindling play-off chances.

They need to win at Ogie's Flames and sweep the home and home against IMS's Blues to get back in the hunt for the last play-off spot.
mj3528
Never Forgotten

Next

Return to NHL