Calgary Flames Thread

Calgary Flames Thread

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 17 Jan 2009, 21:02

Currently tied for the 5th most points in the league. This Western Conference powerhouse will win the cup this year.

Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Re: Calgary Flames Thread

Postby Teen Wolf » 19 Jan 2009, 17:55

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:Currently tied for the 5th most points in the league. This Western Conference powerhouse will win the cup this year.

Theo Fleury came to my elementary school when I was a kid and signed autographs. Little did I know he was banging the grade 5 Social Studies teacher at the time.
Teen Wolf
Pink Helmet

Postby someguysomewhere » 19 Jan 2009, 18:01

Teen Wolf wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:Currently tied for the 5th most points in the league. This Western Conference powerhouse will win the cup this year.

Theo Fleury came to my elementary school when I was a kid and signed autographs. Little did I know he was banging the grade 5 Social Studies teacher at the time.

OG is now very jealous of your grade 5 Social Studies teacher.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Teen Wolf » 19 Jan 2009, 18:33

someguysomewhere wrote:
Teen Wolf wrote:

OG is now very jealous of your grade 5 Social Studies teacher.

Didn't Fluery play for one of those coaches that did creepy things to young boys when he was a minor? Maybe OG has more of a shot than we think.
Teen Wolf
Pink Helmet

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 20 Jan 2009, 21:29

Dude that's gross. And yeah he played for one of those creepy coaches.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 21 Jan 2009, 02:06

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:Dude that's gross. And yeah he played for one of those creepy coaches.

From what I hear, he ROLE played for that creepy coach. Fleury was the naughty schoolboy, and Graham James was the stern headmaster. And on sundays, Fleury was the innocent yet curious altar boy, and James was the God-fearing yet intensely pedophilic and rape-loving priest.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Teen Wolf » 21 Jan 2009, 13:42

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:Dude that's gross. And yeah he played for one of those creepy coaches.

From what I hear, he ROLE played for that creepy coach. Fleury was the naughty schoolboy, and Graham James was the stern headmaster. And on sundays, Fleury was the innocent yet curious altar boy, and James was the God-fearing yet intensely pedophilic and rape-loving priest.

From Graham James' Wikipedia page:
"He was convicted in January 1997 of more than 350 incidents of sexual abuse involving at least two former Swift Current players and served three years in prison."
Pretty harsh by Canadian standards.

"To the end, he claimed that his relationship with Sheldon Kennedy was consensual and that he had done nothing wrong."
Yeah, Sheldon Kennedy consented after James threatened to ruin the kid's life. These guys are living in BFE in the middle of Canada and this guy is their coach.

"According to Kennedy on his appearance on The Jim Rome Show on November 14, 2006, James fled to Europe after he was released from prison, and still coaches youth hockey there."
So I guess he is reformed?
Teen Wolf
Pink Helmet

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 21 Apr 2009, 17:22

Nice win to climb back into the series last night. Fuck Chicago.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby ChiTown » 03 May 2009, 17:57

Chicago says enjoy your summer.
Dunking Donut - Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:06 pm: well i think i have to go soon. carry on gentlemen. stand strong, sons of maine. kings of new england, princes of the internets. dukes of the intertubes
ChiTown
Rocky Balboa

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 03 Sep 2009, 09:09

Calgary going retro with their alternate sweater this season:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=497572
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 Feb 2012, 09:56

Fuck you ogle, Ur boys loss to us in a shootout. I watched the 3rd period on, it wasn't awful.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 07 Mar 2012, 10:54

This date in Flames history:

BRETT HULL 'EXCITED' BY TRADE TO BLUES

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO) - Tuesday, March 8, 1988

Author: Jeff Gordon Of the Post-Dispatch Staff

Brett Hull says he doesn't mind leaving a top Stanley Cup contender to come to the Blues, an ordinary team struggling to reach .500.

The Calgary Flames weren't giving him full-time work, and he figures the Blues will. The rookie wants to be a star in the National Hockey League, not another asteroid.

''I'm excited to come there,'' Hull said from Calgary, Alberta. ''Hopefully I can score some goals and help the Blues win the division. Maybe we can go on and beat Calgary in the playoffs.''

Hull scored 26 goals and had 24 assists in 52 games with the Flames this season, but he had trouble cracking their lineup. So he wasn't shocked by the trade.

''Calgary has so many fantastic players, so if they felt they didn't need me in the lineup for a particular game, they wouldn't play me,'' he said. ''I was on the point in the second power play, but the first power play was so good we really didn't get as much ice time as we could.

''Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to play more and show my stuff, a chance I didn't get here. I was doing well, 50 points in 52 games, but I hadn't played the last three games. They wanted to get some good, quality players. They had to give up something other than a veteran.''

Hull apparently wasn't as excited about Calgary's Stanley Cup bid as some of the other Flames.

''If you're not a part of it, if you don't play down the homestretch and you sit in the playoffs, it wouldn't mean that much to you,'' he said. ''If I come to the Blues and help them win the division, I'll feel a lot better about myself - more than sitting down and watching the Calgary Flames play.''

Coming to the Blues for two popular players - defenseman Rob Ramage and goalie Rick Wamsley - puts a burden on Hull . But he is used to such pressure.

''Being the son of Bobby Hull has put high expectations on me wherever I've played,'' he said. ''I've had to deal with that. All I can do is work hard and do the best that I can.''

Hull has scored everywhere he has been. In two seasons at the University of Minnesota-Duluth, he scored 84 goals in 90 games. In 67 games last season with Moncton of the American Hockey League, he scored 50 goals.

He always has been a sniper. But can he play both ends of the rink? Hull chafes at his reputation as a one-way player with poor defensive skills.

''I got that label when I was playing junior hockey,'' he said. ''When you get a label, it sticks with you. I had a plus-10 (defensive rating) when I was in Calgary. They can say what they want about my defensive play. I'll do what I do best, score goals.''

Flames coach Terry Crisp says Hull has a most promising fu ture. Someday, he said, the deal might look bad in Calgary.

''It's no secret how good BrettHull can be,'' he said. ''We fully realize his potential. We know the consequences - three years down the road, when Brett is firing them into the net. I know (general manager) Cliff Fletcher got a lot of sleepless nights thinking about this one.''

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 26 Jun 2013, 08:38

So there's been a bunch of flooding in Calgary in the last week, and the Saddledome has been hit pretty bad. The ice surface is completely underwater, and a bunch of the lower bowl.

Here's about where it is, if the ice was in and a game was going on...

Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 26 Jun 2013, 09:04

Ts and Ps on the Canadian version of Katrina.
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby someguysomewhere » 26 Jun 2013, 10:09

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:Ts and Ps on the Canadian version of Katrina.

My cousin was in the evacuation zone. I think his place ended up being ok, but it's just on the other side of the Elbow River from the Saddledome.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Next

Return to NHL