The Joke that is the New York Islanders

Re: The Joke that is the New York Islanders

Postby Mario Speedwagon » 02 Apr 2016, 03:15

Mario Speedwagon wrote:I read here, that my Irelanders are good:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/requi ... islanders/

I'm all in.

Maybe my friend 'Sco can tell me if the Brooklyn hipsters & creative types have taken my plucky Irelanders to their hearts, like an American Borussia Dortmund. Really become a community asset there?
#2C4S

Mario Speedwagon
Trackies n' Tinnies

Postby chrisco » 02 Apr 2016, 08:49

Mario Speedwagon wrote:
Mario Speedwagon wrote:I read here, that my Irelanders are good:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/requi ... islanders/

I'm all in.

Maybe my friend 'Sco can tell me if the Brooklyn hipsters & creative types have taken my plucky Irelanders to their hearts, like an American Borussia Dortmund. Really become a community asset there?

Sorry Mar but I think that the hipster creative community has been busy wrestling with the ethics of the poke tuna craze and has not yet had a chance to evaluate the Irelanders. They'll probably need something besides just proximity to earn the mindshare of this group. Perhaps an oddball overperforming baltic rookie (hi ROD!) or a hideous retro uniform that triggers a fashion trend (hi FRANK!) or a rabid parochial fan base so used to winning chips between iced coolattas that they bandwagon on the only sport with a chance of winning one that particular year (hi GREGS!).
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Frank the Tank » 03 Apr 2016, 11:06

chrisco wrote:a rediscovery of the best sweater in hockey history that triggers a fashion trend (hi FRANK!)

Fixed it for you fucknut.
2015 SOTSG Fantasy Football Champion

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby JichaelDick » 28 Apr 2016, 02:53

Islanders head coach Jack Capuano takes one to the face.

TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 28 Oct 2016, 13:21

Dec 23 vs ctz31. Get your tickets NOW! :beatsme:

Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 30 Jan 2017, 16:43

The Charles Barclay Center is giving the boot to the Islanders after the 2018-2019 season. Team to become free agents looking for a new home.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -islanders
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer

Postby chrisco » 30 Jan 2017, 17:21

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:The Charles Barclay Center is giving the boot to the Islanders after the 2018-2019 season. Team to become free agents looking for a new home.

The US Open just put a roof on Arthur Ashe stadium. I'm sure they can play hockey there.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Prez » 30 Jan 2017, 19:58

Iron Mike Sharpe wrote:The Charles Barclay Center is giving the boot to the Islanders after the 2018-2019 season. Team to become free agents looking for a new home.

Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 30 Jan 2017, 20:48

It's the NHL. They'll probably move to Houston or Tuscaloosa.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Postby JichaelDick » 31 Jan 2017, 10:16

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:It's the NHL. They'll probably move to Houston or Tuscaloosa.

If the Islanders move to Tuscaloosa, I am all in. They can change their name to the Tuscaloosa Black Warriors, I would buy a sweater.

(Name? What Tuscaloosa actually means. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Warrior_River)
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby Prez » 03 Feb 2017, 18:59

Prez wrote:

CT's shitty governor makes a "play" for the Islanders
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
Prez
The MAWG

Postby Frank the Tank » 04 Feb 2017, 08:08

Prez wrote:
Prez wrote:

CT's shitty governor makes a "play" for the Islanders

I thought this had 0% chance of happening. After reading a lot of stuff about this, I am upgrading the probability to 10%. It is still a big longshot, but there are just enough factors that work for Hartford (need a facility in 18-19 months, not enough commitment for yet another facility built in NYC that would compete for concert revenue, etc) that this might be the perfect storm. I put the odds of the Islanders leaving the greater NYC area at 60%.

ETA: regardless of the exact probabilities, this will be Hartford's best shot for three next several decades. The circumstances will never be more favorable. They should go all-in or give up. No middle ground.

BostonSucksMyBalls 11/2/2016: "I hate the internet. No accountability. Just a wasteland of shitheads."
Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby Rodney Farva » 06 Feb 2017, 02:28

third team in a 2-team market. i would think their tv and marketing revenues must be pretty low for that kind of market. probably best to relocate, but the question is where. i'd assume best options would be in no particular order some mix of seattle, portland, cleveland, hartford or milwaukee, none of which are all that enticing (no offense to you fine connecticut folk).
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby Frank the Tank » 06 Feb 2017, 07:05

Rodney Farva wrote:third team in a 2-team market. i would think their tv and marketing revenues must be pretty low for that kind of market. probably best to relocate, but the question is where. i'd assume best options would be in no particular order some mix of seattle, portland, cleveland, hartford or milwaukee, none of which are all that enticing (no offense to you fine connecticut folk).

Seattle's going to get a team I think, but I doubt it will be the Islanders. The NHL won't give it to them until there's a firm commitment for a new stadium. If that team was an expansion team, it would give them their dream of a "balanced" 32-team conference with 16 teams in the eastern time zone and 16 teams in the central/mountain/pacific time zones. I think that winds up biasing the NHL towards an eastern time zone city here, though putting a team from central time in the east is much more palatable to them than putting a team from the eastern time zone in the west (see: Red Wings, Detroit). Quebec has that super fancy shmancy new building ready to go so you can't count them out.

Of course there are lots of variables. The Coyotes' new stadium deal fell through, so maybe they more to the Pacific Northwest. The Hurricanes are also in play. I think Hartford would have a reasonable chance at a new team if they put shovels in the ground today for a new stadium. Having said that I don't blame them for not building a new arena on the hope and hope alone of finding it a tenant. I know the city and state believe the XL Center would be NHL-ready with $250 million of upgrades, but I don't see why you put that kind of money into a building to make it maybe the 30th/31st/32nd best arena in the league.

Frank the Tank
TiVo's Prophet

Postby OJ8871440 » 07 Feb 2017, 02:40

You could always sink 130 million into renovations and then not be able to work out a deal to bring a minor league hockey team to the area.

This game this last Saturday will be my only hockey game at Barclays. Who sets up a club and then puts a row of chairs in front of the club therefore blocking the view of those people in the club actually trying to watch the game???

I had to go to the corner to get this shot of the ice...I did enjoy the Whalers of the past beating the Whalers of the future
Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm Dr Jeckyll who the hell reads OJ posts?
OJ8871440
Rocky Balboa

Previous

Return to NHL