Ovechkin v. Crosby

Ovechkin v. Crosby

Postby mmutoni » 09 Nov 2005, 01:13

Seemingly poised to become the Lemieux and Gretzky of their day, who would you try and build a franchise around from the few games played so far?

I would go w/ Crosby because he seems to have that ability to make his teamates better much like 99 whereas Ovechkin has the pure scoring touch of 66.

If hockey actually mattered, ESPN and the rest of the media would be falling over themselves marketing these guys like Wade and Lebron in the NBA.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Bleacher Creature » 09 Nov 2005, 02:06

I'd build by franchise around Crosby for the simple reason that he is Northamerican. This is a great argument but I don't think that Ovechkin will ever be looked at as a Lemieux because he isnt Northamerican. Crosby gets more hype and attention than Ovechkin because Ovechkin is a Euro player. Crosby is a franchise player that will put fans in the seats. Ovechkin is most likely going to have more goals over his career than Crosby, assuming both stay healthy. Crosby, however, will have more points than Ovechkin and be a more successful player. Crosby will have more rings than Ovechkin.
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Postby mmutoni » 09 Nov 2005, 09:54

Bleacher Creature wrote:I'd build by franchise around Crosby for the simple reason that he is Northamerican. This is a great argument but I don't think that Ovechkin will ever be looked at as a Lemieux because he isnt Northamerican. Crosby gets more hype and attention than Ovechkin because Ovechkin is a Euro player. Crosby is a franchise player that will put fans in the seats. Ovechkin is most likely going to have more goals over his career than Crosby, assuming both stay healthy. Crosby, however, will have more points than Ovechkin and be a more successful player. Crosby will have more rings than Ovechkin.

I agree with you that Crosby's nationality definitely helps him in terms of media attention and exposure, but it's impossible to predict who'll win more titles. That all depends on the teams that surround them.
mmutoni
Etiquette Instructor

Postby Bleacher Creature » 16 Nov 2005, 23:45

How bout them rookies? Crosby had two goals tonight, including the game winner and had a goal last night vs the Isles. He also scored the only Penguins shootout goal vs the Islanders. Crosby so far has come through in big situations, including the GW goal tonight and the GW in Montreal. Ovechkin hasn't been a scrub either. He's got the 5th most goals in the league.
Bleacher Creature
OG's sponsor

Postby Snake » 17 Nov 2005, 01:13

I wish more people cared about hockey, it really is an interesting debate.
Let me be very clear. I AM NOT A 49ers FAN!!!

I am the Beer Pong Jesus. If you want a shot at my title, bring it on. BPong.com

~Keep fighting the good fight to get someone else nicknamed Jake the Snake

~Peyton Manning SUCKS
Snake
Basketball Jesus

Postby theken » 17 Nov 2005, 01:24

The future of the league is in good hands.
theken
Smartest Guy In The Room

Postby Parker45 » 17 Nov 2005, 19:36

Too bad Rick Nash is better than both of them.
Parker45
Another dude worth meeting

Postby jack_daniels » 17 Nov 2005, 19:40

Parker45 wrote:Too bad Rick Nash is better than both of them.

Just say Go Duke! for the cameras Parker. It's not that hard. You don't have to say ANYTHING else.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Parker45 » 17 Nov 2005, 20:00

jack_daniels wrote:

Just say Go Duke! for the cameras Parker. It's not that hard. You don't have to say ANYTHING else.

I don't get it. None of those guys went to Duke.

It's cool if you agree Nash is better, no one will care.
Parker45

Postby Briandong79 » 17 Nov 2005, 20:03

Parker45 wrote:
jack_daniels wrote:

Can he fucking stay healthy though? He was like my 2nd round pick in fantasy hockey this year, and I haven't even gotten to play him.

Go Jackets!
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 17 Nov 2005, 20:04

Not with the new rules. You have to admit that Ovechkin will end up with more goals and Crosby will get more points total.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby Parker45 » 17 Nov 2005, 20:14

Yeah, among other things, Nash being hurt has really really hindered the season so far. There have been other injuries that haven't helped, but they definitely need him on the ice. Plus Zherdev has sucked it up, too.

It's funny to hear everyone around here (meaning CBus, not SotSG) get excited about getting Sergei Federov the other day and talk about how he is in the top 1% of NHL players. Maybe 10 years ago when he had 100 points, but I am a little weary about the former Mr. Kournikova doing much.
Parker45

Postby jack_daniels » 17 Nov 2005, 20:22

Parker45 wrote:
jack_daniels wrote:

In other words, that's a stupid thing to say. Rick Nash might be better than them only because he played an extra year. But these guys have better natural talent.
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Postby Parker45 » 17 Nov 2005, 20:45

jack_daniels wrote:
Parker45 wrote:
jack_daniels wrote:

In other words, that's a stupid thing to say. Rick Nash might be better than them only because he played an extra year. But these guys have better natural talent.

I actually have no idea who is better. I mainly posted to see what you Canucks thought about Nasher. I could care less.
Parker45

Postby jack_daniels » 17 Nov 2005, 20:50

I think I speak for all the hockey fans when we don't want Duke fans in our forum :wink: .
jack_daniels
Turban Legend

Next

Return to NHL