Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Prez » 26 Feb 2009, 16:26

TheDooze wrote:Joe Sakic isn't anywhere near the player that Steve Yzerman was. Yzerman was better in every possible context. Also, to update the top 10 list...

1. Gordie Howe
2. Wayne Gretzky
3. Bobby Orr
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Rocket Richard
6. Terry Sawchuk
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Jean Beliveau
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Alex Ovechkin


I know you're supposed to be some kind of expert, and you got to give handies to all the Red Wing players because of your incredible hockey knowledge...but you lose all your credibility if you don't put Gretzky #1 on the list. I'm clearly NOT a hockey expert, and I know this.

Just because you were named after someone, and they played until they were 50+, doesn't make them the greatest.
Ballz: So, I fucking got a BJ for $250 total, and wore a rubber. It sucked, I couldnt even feel it, so i jeckyled onto her tits. She was cute. Not even that far out of my league, it was a waste of $250
User avatar
Prez
The MAWG
 
Posts: 10002
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 08:53
Location: Ballz deep in golf groupie pussy

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 26 Feb 2009, 16:32

Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


I say yes. But no way in hell does he belong in a top 10 all time list at this point in his career.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake
 
Posts: 12157
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 14:23

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby TheDooze » 26 Feb 2009, 16:32

Prez wrote:
TheDooze wrote:Joe Sakic isn't anywhere near the player that Steve Yzerman was. Yzerman was better in every possible context. Also, to update the top 10 list...

1. Gordie Howe
2. Wayne Gretzky
3. Bobby Orr
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Rocket Richard
6. Terry Sawchuk
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Jean Beliveau
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Alex Ovechkin


I know you're supposed to be some kind of expert, and you got to give handies to all the Red Wing players because of your incredible hockey knowledge...but you lose all your credibility if you don't put Gretzky #1 on the list. I'm clearly NOT a hockey expert, and I know this.

Just because you were named after someone, and they played until they were 50+, doesn't make them the greatest.


Gretzky won just as many Cups as Gordie, but always suffered because he could never stand up for himself. Gordie was not only the career scoring leader, by far, but no one ever messed with him. He was a far more complete player than Gretzky, with many of Wayne's numbers being heavily inflated by a huge influx of expansion teams and more games. Also, Wayne is far more celebrated because his play came during early years of having every game on TV, so virtually all of his performances can be brought up and replayed, along with the media aspect of the Great One's many off-the-ice ventures. Obviously, he's the greatest player of my lifetime, but he's still not as great as Gordie and Bobby.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 17:46

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 26 Feb 2009, 16:34

This begins and ends with #4.
Image
User avatar
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas
 
Posts: 10108
Joined: 11 Feb 2005, 18:25
Location: AAA

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby chrisco » 26 Feb 2009, 16:35

TheDooze wrote:
Prez wrote:
TheDooze wrote:Joe Sakic isn't anywhere near the player that Steve Yzerman was. Yzerman was better in every possible context. Also, to update the top 10 list...

1. Gordie Howe
2. Wayne Gretzky
3. Bobby Orr
4. Mario Lemieux
5. Rocket Richard
6. Terry Sawchuk
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Jean Beliveau
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Alex Ovechkin


I know you're supposed to be some kind of expert, and you got to give handies to all the Red Wing players because of your incredible hockey knowledge...but you lose all your credibility if you don't put Gretzky #1 on the list. I'm clearly NOT a hockey expert, and I know this.

Just because you were named after someone, and they played until they were 50+, doesn't make them the greatest.


Gretzky won just as many Cups as Gordie, but always suffered because he could never stand up for himself. Gordie was not only the career scoring leader, by far, but no one ever messed with him. He was a far more complete player than Gretzky, with many of Wayne's numbers being heavily inflated by a huge influx of expansion teams and more games. Also, Wayne is far more celebrated because his play came during early years of having every game on TV, so virtually all of his performances can be brought up and replayed, along with the media aspect of the Great One's many off-the-ice ventures. Obviously, he's the greatest player of my lifetime, but he's still not as great as Gordie and Bobby.


Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12215
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Briandong79 » 26 Feb 2009, 16:37

Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


I say yes. But no way in hell does he belong in a top 10 all time list at this point in his career.


Yeah, I guess that's what I was getting at...he hasn't achieved anything more than either of them, and has only sustained his greatness as long.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby TheDooze » 26 Feb 2009, 16:37

Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


Although Ovechkin was kind of a nod to future play and a chance to put a current player on the list, I do think that he is better than Bure or Mogilny. Ovechkin will be a franchise player for years to come, and if he escapes injury, will be the greatest Russian NHL'er, by far, of all time.

chrisco wrote:Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?


Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. In terms of pure talent, Orr was better, but Gretzky had a longer time on top, and cemented his legacy with two decades of play. If Orr had 5-10 more years into the 1980's, he'd probably be ranked higher.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 17:46

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby chrisco » 26 Feb 2009, 16:40

TheDooze wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


Although Ovechkin was kind of a nod to future play and a chance to put a current player on the list, I do think that he is better than Bure or Mogilny. Ovechkin will be a franchise player for years to come, and if he escapes injury, will be the greatest Russian NHL'er, by far, of all time.

chrisco wrote:Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?


Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. In terms of pure talent, Orr was better, but Gretzky had a longer time on top, and cemented his legacy with two decades of play. If Orr had 5-10 more years into the 1980's, he'd probably be ranked higher.


So greatness and rankings are two different things? If so please put together two separate lists.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12215
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby TheDooze » 26 Feb 2009, 16:43

chrisco wrote:
TheDooze wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


Although Ovechkin was kind of a nod to future play and a chance to put a current player on the list, I do think that he is better than Bure or Mogilny. Ovechkin will be a franchise player for years to come, and if he escapes injury, will be the greatest Russian NHL'er, by far, of all time.

chrisco wrote:Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?


Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. In terms of pure talent, Orr was better, but Gretzky had a longer time on top, and cemented his legacy with two decades of play. If Orr had 5-10 more years into the 1980's, he'd probably be ranked higher.


So greatness and rankings are two different things? If so please put together two separate lists.


There are many factors besides just raw talent, Chrisco.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 17:46

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby chrisco » 26 Feb 2009, 16:46

TheDooze wrote:
chrisco wrote:
TheDooze wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


Although Ovechkin was kind of a nod to future play and a chance to put a current player on the list, I do think that he is better than Bure or Mogilny. Ovechkin will be a franchise player for years to come, and if he escapes injury, will be the greatest Russian NHL'er, by far, of all time.

chrisco wrote:Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?


Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. In terms of pure talent, Orr was better, but Gretzky had a longer time on top, and cemented his legacy with two decades of play. If Orr had 5-10 more years into the 1980's, he'd probably be ranked higher.


So greatness and rankings are two different things? If so please put together two separate lists.


There are many factors besides just raw talent, Chrisco.


Thick One, you have listed 1. Howe, 2. Gretzky, 3. Orr as the 3 Top Hockey players of all time, but then wrote that Orr and Howe are greater than Gretzky. All I am asking is that you sort out the contradiction there.
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
User avatar
chrisco
Madoff
 
Posts: 12215
Joined: 15 Mar 2007, 17:31

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby TheDooze » 26 Feb 2009, 16:50

chrisco wrote:All I am asking is that you sort out the contradiction there.


Gordie Howe is the greatest because he had both longevity on top and raw talent. Orr was great talent-wise, but did not have a long career. Gretzky, although he was not as purely talented, was at a higher level for a longer period of time, and accomplished more within the game than Orr did.
TheDooze
Smartest Guy In The Room
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 17:46

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 26 Feb 2009, 16:59

TheDooze wrote:
Briandean79 wrote:Is Alex Ovechkin really any better than Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny at this point in his career?


Although Ovechkin was kind of a nod to future play and a chance to put a current player on the list, I do think that he is better than Bure or Mogilny. Ovechkin will be a franchise player for years to come, and if he escapes injury, will be the greatest Russian NHL'er, by far, of all time.

chrisco wrote:Why did you rank him ahead of Bobby then?


Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. In terms of pure talent, Orr was better, but Gretzky had a longer time on top, and cemented his legacy with two decades of play. If Orr had 5-10 more years into the 1980's, he'd probably be ranked higher.


I love the :19: in him making the claim for Ovechkin being in the top 10, right before he says Longevity and the total career factors into my thinking as well. Oh Dooze.
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake
 
Posts: 12157
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 14:23

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Iron Mike Sharpe » 07 Jun 2010, 12:39

Per Bix's request:


My 5 favourite Blues players of all-time:


Honorable mention: TJ Oshie. Probably because I got drunk and bought an autographed Oshie sweater for $400 at a charity auction a few weeks ago.




5) David Backes - still early in his career, but really like his mix of talent and toughness. I even snubbed him in his rookie year. The Blues had a meet and great after a game for the club level ticket holders. I'm drinking beer with a couple of my friends and Backes comes up to us and introduces himself. I say "that's nice" and walk off to get another beer and leave him hanging.




4) Brendan Shanahan - awesome power forward, plus he stole his center Craig Janney's wife.

3) Al MacInnis - the best slapshot in the game.

2) Brett Hull - what can you say about Hull that hasn't been said before? He single handedly saved the franchise. Got the city to build a new arena. During the early 90s. with Anheuser-Busch going cheap on the Cardinals, the Blues were the franchise in St. Louis. And he smoked two packs a day.



1) Kelly Chase - my favourite player of all-time in any sport. I can't explain why I would have a player with marginal talent(at best) as my number one. Even though he was only a middleweight, he'd fight just about anyone. Great sense of humour. Great in the community with his work with the hockey program he runs for 'tards. Fan favourite. On all of the EA Sports hockey games of the 1990s, I'd always make sure to promote Chaser to the top line.





Bonus footage: 6 on 6 fight Blues-Red Wings, Cujo pwns Cheveldae

User avatar
Iron Mike Sharpe
Full of good cheer
 
Posts: 18369
Joined: 11 May 2007, 13:07

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby Clayton Bigsby » 07 Jun 2010, 12:55

Nice list. Mine would probably be:

5. G & P Cavallini
4. Tony Hrkac
3. Greg Millen
2. Brian Sutter
1. Bernie Federko
Clayton Bigsby
Head of the Snake
 
Posts: 12157
Joined: 30 Jun 2006, 14:23

Re: Top 10 Hockey Players of All Time

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 07 Jun 2010, 13:14

I liked Gretzky
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31047
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

PreviousNext

Return to NHL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest