Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 15 Feb 2017, 14:41

Rodney Farva wrote:i don't know what block % is and let's not use it to define how good someone is, just look at #5 on the list


Block percentage is an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor. It's a solid stat.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Where is Embiid? HE is averaging 2.5 BPG in like 25 minutes. Jerk.


Didn't qualify from minutes it looks like.

But he's at 7.8%, which, jesus. Olajuwon's season high was 7.0, career 5.4.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby JT99 » 15 Feb 2017, 14:46

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i don't know what block % is and let's not use it to define how good someone is, just look at #5 on the list


Block percentage is an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor. It's a solid stat.


Why only two-point shots?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 9790
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 15 Feb 2017, 14:48

JT99 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i don't know what block % is and let's not use it to define how good someone is, just look at #5 on the list


Block percentage is an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor. It's a solid stat.


Why only two-point shots?


Yeah, that's an odd distinction, not sure why. Though how many times do you see a three-point shot blocked?
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby TheWolf » 15 Feb 2017, 14:49

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Block percentage is an estimate... It's a solid stat.


Color me dubious.
"our kayaking guy sucked and came last"
- SGSW
User avatar
TheWolf
Hand-Holder
 
Posts: 18394
Joined: 16 Nov 2004, 08:17
Location: Dead

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby JT99 » 15 Feb 2017, 14:50

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i don't know what block % is and let's not use it to define how good someone is, just look at #5 on the list


Block percentage is an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor. It's a solid stat.


Why only two-point shots?


Yeah, that's an odd distinction, not sure why. Though how many times do you see a three-point shot blocked?


Rare indeed. Just seemed like an odd choice given that it is probably not going to lower the percentages for true rim protectors.
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 9790
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby mister bacon » 15 Feb 2017, 14:52

JT99 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
JT99 wrote:
MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Rodney Farva wrote:i don't know what block % is and let's not use it to define how good someone is, just look at #5 on the list


Block percentage is an estimate of the percentage of opponent two-point field goal attempts blocked by the player while he was on the floor. It's a solid stat.


Why only two-point shots?


Yeah, that's an odd distinction, not sure why. Though how many times do you see a three-point shot blocked?


Rare indeed. Just seemed like an odd choice given that it is probably not going to lower the percentages for true rim protectors.


it is awesome when someone is trying to pull up on a transition 3 and gets his shit swatted into the back wall of the gym tho
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
User avatar
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides
 
Posts: 26346
Joined: 10 Dec 2004, 17:06
Location: "The Real Racist" - Greg's Kite

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 01 Mar 2017, 10:55

The best pace-adjusted triple-double seasons

PLAYER SEASON PACE POINTS REBOUNDS ASSISTS VERSATILITY INDEX
R. Westbrook 2016-17 98.0 43.7 14.7 15.0 21.3
J. Harden 2016-17 97.7 37.1 10.7 15.7 18.4
R. Westbrook 2015-16 96.7 33.9 11.3 15.1 18.0
R. Westbrook 2014-15 95.7 41.1 10.6 12.5 17.6
K. Garnett 2004-05 89.1 31.4 19.1 8.0 16.9
M. Johnson 1988-89 100.1 28.7 10.1 16.4 16.8
L. James 2008-09 88.7 40.8 10.9 10.4 16.7
L. James 2009-10 91.4 40.0 9.8 11.5 16.5
M. Johnson 1990-91 94.1 26.6 9.6 17.2 16.4
K. Garnett 2003-04 89.0 33.2 19.0 6.8 16.2
L. James 2012-13 90.7 37.5 11.2 10.1 16.2
G. Hill 1996-97 84.5 30.9 13.0 10.5 16.2
M. Johnson 1989-90 96.3 30.0 8.9 15.4 16.0
M. Johnson 1986-87 101.6 31.1 8.2 15.9 15.9
C. Paul 2008-09 87.8 32.4 7.9 15.7 15.9
K. Garnett 2002-03 91.9 29.6 17.3 7.8 15.9
M. Jordan 1988-89 97.0 40.0 9.9 9.9 15.8
L. James 2007-08 90.2 39.6 10.4 9.5 15.8
G. McGinnis 1974-75 105.1 33.7 16.1 7.1 15.7
L. James 2015-16 93.3 36.1 10.8 9.8 15.6
R. Westbrook 2013-14 95.4 35.7 9.4 11.4 15.6
K. Malone 1996-97 90.0 40.0 14.4 6.5 15.5
L. James 2011-12 91.2 38.1 11.1 8.8 15.5
K. Love 2013-14 97.3 35.5 17.0 6.0 15.4
L. James 2010-11 90.9 36.4 10.2 9.6 15.3
G. Antetokounmpo 2016-17 96.1 32.7 13.0 8.3 15.2
D. Robinson 1993-94 90.1 39.2 14.1 6.3 15.2
L. Bird 1984-85 101.6 34.3 12.6 7.9 15.1
D. Cousins 2014-15 95.4 35.5 18.7 5.2 15.1
L. Bird 1986-87 98.6 33.6 11.0 9.2 15.0
L. Bird 1987-88 97.9 37.6 11.6 7.7 15.0
W. Chamberlain 1963-64 115.1 33.3 20.2 4.6 14.6
O. Robertson 1961-62 124.9 26.7 10.8 9.9 14.2


Yeah, no clue what a versatility index is.

eta: The Versatility Index is a metric that measures a player's ability to produce in more than one statistic. In this case we are using points, assists, and rebounds. The average player will score around a five on the index, while top players score above 10. It's a Hollinger stat so, eh.

Versatility Index Formula=[(PPG)*(RPG)*APG)]^(0.333)
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Mar 2017, 13:15

This isn't getting into real fancy stats, but no one has averaged 25-8-8 since Jordan in 89, this year 3 guys are doing it:
Image
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31126
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 06 Mar 2017, 13:25

Briandong79 wrote:This isn't getting into real fancy stats, but no one has averaged 25-8-8 since Jordan in 89, this year 3 guys are doing it:
Image


That is pretty nutty.

I think the most impressive stat there is Westbrook doing what he's been doing in just under 35 min/game.

Image
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby JT99 » 06 Mar 2017, 13:28

Lebron is doing it at age 32.

Argue all you want about it now, but when he's done, he the GOAT
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.


BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
User avatar
JT99
Between Bannings
 
Posts: 9790
Joined: 08 Apr 2012, 22:58
Location: Bluesville

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby Briandong79 » 06 Mar 2017, 13:30

MisterTambourineMan wrote:
Briandong79 wrote:This isn't getting into real fancy stats, but no one has averaged 25-8-8 since Jordan in 89, this year 3 guys are doing it:
Image


That is pretty nutty.

I think the most impressive stat there is Westbrook doing what he's been doing in just under 35 min/game.

Image


Also managing to get up 6 more shots in that time than LeBron or Harden.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31126
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 06 Mar 2017, 13:34

JT99 wrote:Lebron is doing it at age 32.

Argue all you want about it now, but when he's done, he the GOAT


Definitely an argument to be made.

Briandong79 wrote:Also managing to get up 6 more shots in that time than LeBron or Harden.


Dude loves to jack it.

Also a big time chucker.
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby Briandong79 » 20 Mar 2017, 15:41

Image

Courtesy of The R*nger, worst rookie class ever!
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
User avatar
Briandong79
Beep Boop
 
Posts: 31126
Joined: 28 Apr 2005, 13:35
Location: MoreCowbell's phone

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 20 Mar 2017, 15:45

Briandong79 wrote:Image

Courtesy of The R*nger, worst rookie class ever!


For Prez andDthe, can you tell us what "win shares" actually means?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
User avatar
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber
 
Posts: 31035
Joined: 26 Aug 2005, 09:59

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 20 Mar 2017, 15:50

Briandong79 wrote:Image

Courtesy of The R*nger, worst rookie class ever!


That's great. And so happy to see that 2000 class of assholes had been the worst.

But you should totally put all your faith in draft picks and not cash-in on a star player if you have disposable assets, Bill. Coulda had a boat or you coulda had a box which could contain anything - even a boat!
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am SouthernYokel you can talk about whatever inane thing you want to if you can do it without being a dick
JT99 - Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm: Dude, the MAGA thread has already sabotaged the entire site
User avatar
MisterTambourineMan
Now
 
Posts: 13033
Joined: 03 Sep 2006, 14:25
Location: i already told you, won't tell you again

PreviousNext

Return to NBA

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest