Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Re: THE TALENTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN: Cavs Thread

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 27 Feb 2015, 13:34

MisterTambourineMan
Now

Re: THE TALENTS HAVE BEEN TAKEN: Cavs Thread

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 27 Feb 2015, 13:46

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Image

Thats insane.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Work Creep

Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby nova » 04 Mar 2015, 17:15

Let's stop polluting the regular threads with stats and graphs, and move all nerd shit to this place.

Can someone please explain what the fuck DefRtg is?
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Re: Basketball: The Gathering (The Analytics Thread)

Postby JichaelDick » 04 Mar 2015, 17:21

nova wrote:Let's stop polluting the regular threads with stats and graphs, and move all nerd shit to this place.

I don't know, but my guess is points given up per 100 possessions. Generally, anything below 100 is good.
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby SDGuy » 04 Mar 2015, 18:32

JichaelDick wrote:
nova wrote:Let's stop polluting the regular threads with stats and graphs, and move all nerd shit to this place.

I don't know, but my guess is points given up per 100 possessions. Generally, anything below 100 is good.

You are correct. Offensive rating is points scored / 100 possessions.

Related: the Minny broadcast guys bring up these stats fairly regularly during games, along with eFG% . Pretty cool.
Montecore's Revenge wrote:Protip: When you slit your wrists make sure you go north-south and not east-west. It will be harder for them to save you and it won't send out as much of a "just a cry for help, not a serious attempt" vibe
SDGuy
Basketball Jesus

Postby nova » 05 Mar 2015, 09:30

SDGuy wrote:
JichaelDick wrote:

You are correct. Offensive rating is points scored / 100 possessions.

Related: the Minny broadcast guys bring up these stats fairly regularly during games, along with eFG% . Pretty cool.

Thanks for clarifying. Never would have thought JR Smith would be the lynchpin to a the leading NetRtg in the NBA.

Granted, I had no idea what the fuck this meant 24 hours ago, but it's surprising.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Jew Jitsu » 05 Mar 2015, 10:47

About time mods did some work in this place. Hey MTM, how about you and your TI84 stick to this thread from now on when you wanna compare Rubio to Kyrie or Love to Moses Malone instead of spamming the whole board? Thanks in advance.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 05 Mar 2015, 11:00

Jew Jitsu wrote:About time mods did some work in this place. Hey MTM, how about you and your TI84 stick to this thread from now on when you wanna compare Rubio to Kyrie or Love to Moses Malone instead of spamming the whole board? Thanks in advance.

Had to remember when I did that, per search

But last season Love did something that has never been done in NBA history: He averaged 26.1 points, 12.5 rebounds and 4.4 assists, and he made 190 3-pointers.

Nobody's ever done that.

Hell, nobody's come close. So let's remove assists from the equation. Just forget about the passing part of Love's game, which is like saying "just forget about the leaping part of Wiggins' game." The 6-10 Love passes as well as any big man today -- but still, for the sake of finding someone who can do some of the other stuff he did last year, let's drop the assists and see whose names pop up.

Now then. In terms of scoring, rebounding and shooting, let's see ...

Huh. Zero players in NBA history -- other than Kevin Love last season -- have reached 26.1 ppg, 12.5 rpg and 190 3-pointers.

Only one other player has averaged at least that many points and that many rebounds and made any 3-pointers: Moses Malone in 1981, when he averaged 27.8 ppg and 14.8 rpg and made, um, one 3-pointer.

So much analytics.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Jew Jitsu » 05 Mar 2015, 11:07

Numbers lie whenever you present them. Stay here.
CourtesyFlush - Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am: I stopped taking creep shots when I found out a dude who used to work on my floor got arrested for that at a walgreens in uptown charlotte.
Jew Jitsu
Never Forgotten

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Sep 2015, 10:42

Gregs Kite wrote:This "outrage" over President Trump not naming white supremacy reminds of the time all you people on the left were outraged that Obama never once mentioned radical Islam by name.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Colonel Angus » 02 Sep 2015, 10:43

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Image

What do you recommend we listen to while we stare at that, MTM?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 02 Sep 2015, 10:45

Charles Mingus
Gregs Kite wrote:This "outrage" over President Trump not naming white supremacy reminds of the time all you people on the left were outraged that Obama never once mentioned radical Islam by name.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby nova » 02 Sep 2015, 12:10

What I gather from this chart is that Dennis Rodman collected a freakish amount of offensive rebounds. Makes me wonder whether winning "Defensive Player of the Year" was a misnomer. /anus

ETA: and also that he got damn near fifty percent of rebounds in a few seasons.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Dthefritz » 02 Sep 2015, 22:28

nova wrote:What I gather from this chart is that Dennis Rodman collected a freakish amount of offensive rebounds. Makes me wonder whether winning "Defensive Player of the Year" was a misnomer. /anus

Really surprising that Dwight Howard grabbed all those rebounds, what with him joking around on the court and not doing winner stuff like blocking shots after the whistle; I mean next thing, you'll tell me that Jo Noah and Marc Gasol weren't actually way better than him and sportswriters were just being petty retards when they gave DPoY and all-NBA team nods to those guys over Dwight;
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby NotAndyGreenwald » 03 Sep 2015, 07:50

Dthefritz wrote:
nova wrote:What I gather from this chart is that Dennis Rodman collected a freakish amount of offensive rebounds. Makes me wonder whether winning "Defensive Player of the Year" was a misnomer. /anus

Really surprising that Dwight Howard grabbed all those rebounds, what with him joking around on the court and not doing winner stuff like blocking shots after the whistle; I mean next thing, you'll tell me that Jo Noah and Marc Gasol weren't actually way better than him and sportswriters were just being petty retards when they gave DPoY and all-NBA team nods to those guys over Dwight;

Or, you know, they had a much better offensive game, what with their ability to like, actually post up, being able to at least pass decently and generally elevating the team two-way (you know, as you always condescendingly remark, BASKETBALL IZ TEEM SPROT!1). And there was the tiny isssue of the Dwightster having back surgery - help me recall: Was he or was he not recovering from that and would it be insane or insanely stupid to expect him to be like a car where you replace the carburator and it instantly runs on 100% again?
What I'm trying to say are basically two things: DPOY could have been arguable in the timeframe when he was healthy (putting the Rockets defense on his shoulders) and also FOH we know sportswriters are petty retards; so are you and there's no reason to prove that every fucking day with snarky posts like that. We get it, you have the League Pass.
mj3528 » 03 Dec 2015, 22:34 something rarely said, but NAG was right.

Gregs Kite - Yesterday, 20:56: Is NAG _ v2.0?
NotAndyGreenwald
Rocky Balboa

Next

Return to NBA