Heisley's a Moron: The MEMPHIS Grizzlies

Re: Heisley's a Moron: The MEMPHIS Grizzlies

Postby Dthefritz » 15 Dec 2016, 17:55

Gregs Kite wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:The NBA is all about marketing their stars, and they're also all about going 75% until the playoffs, so taking a game off and having fans pay jacked up prices to watch them flip a water bottle on the bench is pretty weak.

Im confused why sportswriters and radio guys don't have the right to call them lazy? I thought this was America? Or are we just dancing around the fact that these guys are mostly......you know.......white?

yeah overpaid white people calling black people lazy is one of the founding principles of our country, but it is what it is. they can still say it, this is america, and i can still say its bull-shit :sniff:11

A lawyer billing hundreds of dollars an hour to surf a Bill Simmons message board calling sportswriters overpaid. Ok.

I don't think NBA players are lazy. I'll give you minute to collect your-self.

I think the coaches realize the regular season is worthless and only care about a solid playoff seed and the health of the players for the ACTUAL NBA season. Fine, great, who cares. But don't make me roll the dice and spend hundreds of dollars on my one chance to see them.

No one is making you spend your hard-earned money on basketbawr tickets. The game could be shitty for all kinds of reasons, and it sucks that this relatively new trend adds yet another reason to that list, but really.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 15 Dec 2016, 18:06

Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
mister bacon wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:The NBA is all about marketing their stars, and they're also all about going 75% until the playoffs, so taking a game off and having fans pay jacked up prices to watch them flip a water bottle on the bench is pretty weak.

Im confused why sportswriters and radio guys don't have the right to call them lazy? I thought this was America? Or are we just dancing around the fact that these guys are mostly......you know.......white?

yeah overpaid white people calling black people lazy is one of the founding principles of our country, but it is what it is. they can still say it, this is america, and i can still say its bull-shit :sniff:11

A lawyer billing hundreds of dollars an hour to surf a Bill Simmons message board calling sportswriters overpaid. Ok.

I think the coaches realize the regular season is worthless and only care about a solid playoff seed and the health of the players for the ACTUAL NBA season. Fine, great, who cares. But don't make me roll the dice and spend hundreds of dollars on my one chance to see them.

No one is making you spend your hard-earned money on basketbawr tickets. The game could be shitty for all kinds of reasons, and it sucks that this relatively new trend adds yet another reason to that list, but really.

while what you say is undoubtedly true, with the sitting of 3 stars it guarantees a shitty game. you know it before you even walk into the arena. like I said there is nothing that can be done. still stinks.

My worst 3 sports games I attended due to lack of effort of the teams.

1. Boston Bruins v. Columbus Blue Jackets 2002ish?

The Bruins scored 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the game. I think the captains of both teams got together after the 3rd goal and agreed if the Blue Jackets did not try to score, the Bruins would not add any more goals either. Virtually no scoring chances for the remaining 55 minutes.

2. Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers the day of the Colts-Bears Superbowl.

I have never seen anything like this. Both teams apparently had an agreement not to try except for the last 2 minutes of each quarter. For the first 10 minutes of each quarter the teams would just jack outside shots and the ball would be rebounded by the player it came to. No contesting at all. They played hard for those final 2 minutes doe. My sources indicated that Drew Gooden was extremely hung over for that game, and he looked it.

3. Sixers @ Cavs late 90s?

This one is a bit of a stretch, but the Cavs appeared to be in no mood to try to defend Iverson. I think he went for 50. He drove to the basket virtually uncontested numerous times especially in the 2nd half.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 15 Dec 2016, 18:46

Frankly everyone that's saying F the fans, it's a risk they take...you all don't even buy tickets. you can kindly go fuck yourselves.

You don't buy tickets to the fucking Cavs game and not care if LBJ or Kyrie plays or not.

And I want to address Pj about the refunding of the extra premium on those tix. Not good enough. Minimally they should get tix to a future game of their choice. No way in hell anyone's buying tix to see Chris Anderson and JR Smith at any price. FOH.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dthefritz » 15 Dec 2016, 19:05

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Frankly everyone that's saying F the fans, it's a risk they take...you all don't even buy tickets. you can kindly go fuck yourselves.

You don't buy tickets to the fucking Cavs game and not care if LBJ or Kyrie plays or not.

And I want to address Pj about the refunding of the extra premium on those tix. Not good enough. Minimally they should get tix to a future game of their choice. No way in hell anyone's buying tix to see Chris Anderson and JR Smith at any price. FOH.

I'm not saying F the fans, I'm saying it's an extra element to the existing shittiness of paying exorbitant prices and hoping to catch an entertaining game, not some radical departure from the paradise that existed before it became common practice to rest stars this much.

Also I somehow missed PJ's earlier post:

PhillyJim76 wrote:
JT99 wrote:I'm not in the NBA players are lazy camp, Bacon, but jacking up prices for specific games changes the dynamic, don't you think? To me, that's almost an implicit agreement that the stars will be playing (or at least one of them).

Lebron is a straight up bitch. Never been in a dunk contest. Acts like he cares about the fans. It's all about creating a fake rep so he can argue that he is the greatest of all time.

While it's fair to ding him for never being in the dunk contest, I don't get your other point. Are you killing him for doing basic PR that almost any star athlete does? Or are you implying that he's not really an all-time great and people are just brainwashed by said PR? Either way, I don't know where you're coming from.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby Rodney Farva » 16 Dec 2016, 00:57

mj3528 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:
Gregs Kite wrote:
mister bacon wrote:

while what you say is undoubtedly true, with the sitting of 3 stars it guarantees a shitty game. you know it before you even walk into the arena. like I said there is nothing that can be done. still stinks.

My worst 3 sports games I attended due to lack of effort of the teams.

1. Boston Bruins v. Columbus Blue Jackets 2002ish?

The Bruins scored 3 goals in the first 5 minutes of the game. I think the captains of both teams got together after the 3rd goal and agreed if the Blue Jackets did not try to score, the Bruins would not add any more goals either. Virtually no scoring chances for the remaining 55 minutes.

2. Detroit Pistons at Cleveland Cavaliers the day of the Colts-Bears Superbowl.

I have never seen anything like this. Both teams apparently had an agreement not to try except for the last 2 minutes of each quarter. For the first 10 minutes of each quarter the teams would just jack outside shots and the ball would be rebounded by the player it came to. No contesting at all. They played hard for those final 2 minutes doe. My sources indicated that Drew Gooden was extremely hung over for that game, and he looked it.

3. Sixers @ Cavs late 90s?

This one is a bit of a stretch, but the Cavs appeared to be in no mood to try to defend Iverson. I think he went for 50. He drove to the basket virtually uncontested numerous times especially in the 2nd half.

Phillies vs Cards, September 14, 1987. late in the season, phils out of the race, cards locked up with mets in a pennant race. Monday night, near empty in the Vet. sat in the first few rows in straight away center, one of the few other people near me kept yelling score updates from the MNF game (giants at da bears in first MNF game of the season) to willie mcgee, who would nod wisely. maybe willie had some action on it, i don't know. not a lot of effort from the players, fans, or vendors.

and yes, i had to research the date, mnf teams, where both teams were in the standings, and that it was first mnf game of the year.
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby TVF wannabe » 16 Dec 2016, 10:17

Jets/pats last MNF on ABC, freezing cold and a shitty game. I did see a fair catch on a kickoff at about the 28 because of the wind.

Mets Braves say June 97. Bobby Jones gave up 10 runs to the Braves in under 3 innings. Jeff Blauser rocked one of the longest homeruns I've ever seen.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby The Long Dick of the Law » 16 Dec 2016, 10:31

TVF wannabe wrote:Mets Braves say June 97. Bobby Jones gave up 10 runs to the Braves in under 3 innings. Jeff Blauser rocked one of the longest homeruns I've ever seen.

:sniff: :sniff: :sniff: :sniff: :sniff: :sniff: :sniff:

Rams-Redskins at the dumpster that is FedEx 2 years ago when Fisher sent out as captains all the guys they got for RG3, Skins shut out, GTs.... BUT WHO'S LAUGHING NOW FISH????
mister bacon love watching soccer. baseball is about as exciting as scratching my balls.
MisterTambourineMan you're not scratching your balls right, then.
The Long Dick of the Law
TRU Patriot

Postby Dthefritz » 16 Dec 2016, 18:02

Melo and Rose sat against the Warriors. Please, try to contain your outrage.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 16 Dec 2016, 18:05

Dthefritz wrote:Melo and Rose sat against the Warriors. Please, try to contain your outrage.

Sucks but that is a MUCH different situation. The Warriors fans go to see the home team. Grizzlies fans do not.

Also Lebron is the face of the league.

Don't at me.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Dthefritz » 16 Dec 2016, 18:09

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:Melo and Rose sat against the Warriors. Please, try to contain your outrage.

Sucks but that is a MUCH different situation. The Warriors fans go to see the home team. Grizzlies fans do not.

The Grizzlies have made the playoffs 6 years in a row and have won 4 series in that interval. What kind of PATHETIC LOSER would go to the stadium to watch that kind of a team?
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 16 Dec 2016, 18:16

Dthefritz wrote:

The Grizzlies have made the playoffs 6 years in a row and have won 4 series in that interval. What kind of PATHETIC LOSER would go to the stadium to watch that kind of a team?

Congrats to them. They are an NBA afterthought. I can't imagine they have a good fan base. I'm sure you are going to pull some attendance numbers now. I stand by my belief that 99.9% of the fans that bought tix for that game did so bc of Lebron. And to sit Kyrie and Big Gay Kev too? Absurd.

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby JT99 » 16 Dec 2016, 18:21

Dthefritz wrote:

Congrats to them. They are an NBA afterthought. I can't imagine they have a good fan base. I'm sure you are going to pull some attendance numbers now. I stand by my belief that 99.9% of the fans that bought tix for that game did so bc of Lebron. And to sit Kyrie and Big Gay Kev too? Absurd.

Is that Theny's music?
BigJohnStudd wrote:The original Annie movie from the 80s has a lot of panty shots for a PG rated kids film.

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:26 Jan 2017 10:53: need the D
JT99
Between Bannings

Postby Dthefritz » 16 Dec 2016, 18:24

JT99 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Is that Theny's music?

I'm sure they were extra-psyched and paid a premium to see LeBron. But you're acting like they're some sixdogs-caliber dumpster fire with no reason to cheer for their guys. that is simply not the case.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby mj3528 » 16 Dec 2016, 18:32

Dthefritz wrote:
JT99 wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Is that Theny's music?

I'm sure they were extra-psyched and paid a premium to see LeBron. But you're acting like they're some sixdogs-caliber dumpster fire with no reason to cheer for their guys. that is simply not the case.

Jazz in the Deron Williams-Boozer years during LeBron's first stint with the Cavs were a similar team as the Grizz, made the WCF in 2007 probably a more loyal fan base than the Grizz, and when I went to the games in 2008 and 2009 it was almost 50-50.

Last two years I have been surprised as it seems like 70-30 Jazz fans.
2009 NFL Pick 'em Champion
SOTSG Fantasy Basketball (Almost Entirely) 2012 Champion
2015 SOTSG NFL Survivor Champion, Part 2
2015 SOTSG Death Pool Co-Champion
2017 SOTSG Fantasy Basketball Champion
mj3528
#QM

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 16 Dec 2016, 18:35

The Warriors are in Philly on Feb 27. I bet the fans/kids that go would be super psyched if Durant, Curry, and Klay didnt make the trip. Better chance for a W!

BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

PreviousNext

Return to NBA