NBA Rank 'Em

NBA Rank 'Em

Postby Bricks » 03 Jun 2010, 18:03

Alright, we've got top player ever discussions going in 2 different SCR threads, and it's come up before elsewhere. My idea: rank your best NBA players, all-time, present, whatever. Could be fun.

All-Time:
1. Jordan - Tough to argue
2. Wilt - Great scorer, great rebounder, dominant
3. Magic - Revolutionized his position
4. Russell - The only guy who could play with Wilt, the best defender ever
5. Kareem - Dominant for over a decade, imposing post presence
6. Kobe - One of the greatest scorers ever, clutch, had a run of a decade as a top-notch on-ball defender
7. Jerry West - Offensive machine, quintessential leader
8. Oscar Robertson - Mr. Triple-Double
9. Larry Bird - Great shooter, great rebounder,
10. Shaq - The last truly intimidating post presence, dominant for over a decade
11. Tim Duncan - Automatic, great on the glass
12. Dr. J - A revolutionary, could score at will. Might be higher if his first few years were in the NBA
13. Hakeem - Did amazing things in the post, was the best center in a golden age for the position
14. John Stockton - Arguably the best passer ever, arguably the best on-ball defender ever
15. LeBron - Still very young, will obviously climb this list. Unprecedent talent.
16. Elgin Baylor - Big-time scorer, rebounded really well for guy his size
17. Karl Malone - Tough SOB, great rebounder and post scorer
18. Bob Pettit - Averaged a 20-20, was damn near unstoppable in his era
19. Bob Cousy - Laid the foundation for the point guards of today, in the running for best passer ever
20. David Robinson - Unreal agility at 7'2, scored, rebounded and defended with the best of them. Had a fantastic run from '91 to about '96

Glaring omissions (?): Charles Barkley, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Hal Greer, Kevin McHale, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Re: NBA Rank 'Em

Postby someguysomewhere » 03 Jun 2010, 18:41

Where's Maravich?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Colonel Angus » 03 Jun 2010, 20:08

What's that, just a list? They didn't have any funny shapes like pyramids?
"Isn't it no, baas or something? That's how I read it in a boxing book. It's South African or something."
- _, on Roberto Duran.
_ - Sun Jan 31 5:06 pm:
"it was such a sexy goal, that punched me right in the balls. metaphorically"
Colonel Angus
Pun DMC

Postby Bricks » 03 Jun 2010, 20:13

Colonel Angus wrote:What's that, just a list? They didn't have any funny shapes like pyramids?

I'm working on an NBA player trapezoid.
nova wrote:With all of that said, fuck VCU. Fuck that shiny midget Shaka Smart. Fuck the city of Richmond.
Bricks
Basketball Jesus

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 03 Jun 2010, 22:47

I just want it known that Charles Barkley could be the most athletic player to ever play in the NBA. Jordan was at least 2 inches taller than him, maybe 3. At his size, how he did what he did, how he played how he played, it's inconceivable. I ain't saying he's the most athletic player, just that he belongs in the argument. Along with Jordan and Bron and Kemp and Shaq - "he was dominant, not athletic," meh. no guy Shaq's size should be able to run and move that fast.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 04 Jun 2010, 09:18

Glaring omissions (?): Charles Barkley, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Hal Greer, Kevin McHale, Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd

Isaiah Thomas. to me he was better than stockton. anyways here's my top 10, ill just rank players i remember seeing in my lifetime at their best and ill rank them on their prime so not considering longevity.

1. Jordan
2. Shaq
3. Duncan
4. Olajuwon
5. Bryant
6. Lebron
7. Pippen
8. Robinson
9. Barkley
10. Garnett
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby TVF wannabe » 04 Jun 2010, 09:21

Untouchable wrote:

Isaiah Thomas. to me he was better than stockton. anyways here's my top 10, ill just rank players i remember seeing in my lifetime at their best and ill rank them on their prime so not considering longevity.

1. Jordan
2. Shaq
3. Duncan
4. Olajuwon
5. Bryant
6. Lebron
7. Pippen
8. Robinson
9. Barkley
10. Garnett

I like your idea.
Pippen is a little high on that list, I would put Garnett in the 7 spot.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby Briandong79 » 04 Jun 2010, 09:25

I'd be tempted to put Hakeem at #2, in the Jordan-free years he was absolutely unbelievable. And he abused an admittedly very young Shaq in the finals.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby JichaelDick » 04 Jun 2010, 09:54

1. MJ
2. Wilt
3. Magic
4. Kareem
5. Bird
6. Russell
7. Kobe
8. Duncan
9. Olajuwon
10. Shaq
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Jun 2010, 10:06

whers Durant?
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby JichaelDick » 04 Jun 2010, 10:09

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:whers Durant?

Number 11, dude. He wins three games in a first-round series, by golly, he'll hit top 10
TVF wannabe - Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 pm: ...a good rule of thumb is if you post some thing like that and IMS quickly jumps in with an uncomfortable reference you went too far
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 04 Jun 2010, 10:11

Wow, I just realized you have Kobe ahead of Shaq. So does Bricks. That is...insanity.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby JichaelDick » 04 Jun 2010, 10:14

BostonSucksMyBalls wrote:Wow, I just realized you have Kobe ahead of Shaq. So does Bricks. That is...insanity.

If I'm looking at peak vs. peak, it's Shaq by a country mile. However, Shaq has pretty much fallen off the map over the last 5-6 years, while Kobe's still going strong.

Kobe still doesn't have but one ring without Shaq, though.
JichaelDick
Delightful Nutjob

Postby nova » 04 Jun 2010, 10:15

I'm going to take this a different direction, and post my dream line up if I were actually playing a game, and had to worry about roles on the team.

PG: Kidd
SG: Jordan
SF: Barkley
PF: Garnett
C: Shaq
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby PhillyJim76 » 04 Jun 2010, 10:45

1. Wilt
2. Jordan

Do you guys realize all the rules that they changed to try and slow Wilt down? Russell is over rated, like Jeter. Fortunate to be surrounded by great players. Scottie Pippen is one of the biggest frauds ever in the NBA. Don't get me started on him.

Having Kobe above Shaq is a major violation.
It feels so good to be back.
PhillyJim76
Basketball Jesus

Next

Return to NBA