No Wins Til Brooklyn: The Nets

No Wins Til Brooklyn: The Nets

Postby someguysomewhere » 24 Jan 2010, 14:58

I figure we'll need this thread for the all-time worst record watch if they don't win a few games soon. I didn't think they could do it, but man, they just haven't turned it around at all. They've had injuries and a coaching change, but there's still no excuse for this team being 3-40. Can they go 7- 32 down the stretch and avoid infamy?
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Re: No Wins Til Brooklyn: The Nets

Postby Dthefritz » 24 Jan 2010, 22:37

someguysomewhere wrote:I figure we'll need this thread for the all-time worst record watch if they don't win a few games soon. I didn't think they could do it, but man, they just haven't turned it around at all. They've had injuries and a coaching change, but there's still no excuse for this team being 3-40. Can they go 7- 32 down the stretch and avoid infamy?

I think they're likely to gun for the record (at least from a management standpoint)...no such thing as bad publicity in the league, and if you don't believe me, read this:

http://deadspin.com/5345287/the-confess ... corekeeper
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby TVF wannabe » 24 Jan 2010, 22:41

Whne they were still going for the 0fer record the marketing head was on WFAN and he said we dont care why we just want them tuning in.
TVF wannabe
The Bomb Dick

Postby someguysomewhere » 24 Jan 2010, 22:46

Dthefritz wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:I figure we'll need this thread for the all-time worst record watch if they don't win a few games soon. I didn't think they could do it, but man, they just haven't turned it around at all. They've had injuries and a coaching change, but there's still no excuse for this team being 3-40. Can they go 7- 32 down the stretch and avoid infamy?

I think they're likely to gun for the record (at least from a management standpoint)...no such thing as bad publicity in the league, and if you don't believe me, read this:

http://deadspin.com/5345287/the-confess ... corekeeper

Yeah, I saw that. Uh, not sure how much use publicity is for a franchise that ceased to exist eight and a half years ago, though.

I knew a guy that was on the stats crew for the Griz in the beginning. May even have been in charge. Suffice it to say that a lack of integrity in the process would not surprise me with him on board, seeing how when he was PG at SGSW/Bix U he would literally detour my the scorer's table on the way back on D to yell at them and tell them to get his assist. I was really glad he only held the school record for 3 years.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 25 Jan 2010, 08:16

wasn't devin harris really good last year? wha happen? also brook lopez? seems like they should be good enough to win at least 25-30 games just on paper...
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby chrisco » 25 Jan 2010, 10:01

I hope you all took my season preview seriously and bet the under heavily. That was some insightful analysis from me. Between that and the crippling Farve INT, I am feeling pretty good about my fall prognostications (ignoring the Seahawks over). [/classic simba]
BostonSucksMyBalls - Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:03 am: I listen bc ive listened for about 25 years. I need to see this stupid thing thru.
chrisco
Madoff

Postby Dthefritz » 25 Jan 2010, 11:18

Untouchable wrote:wasn't devin harris really good last year? wha happen? also brook lopez? seems like they should be good enough to win at least 25-30 games just on paper...

What happened is they traded Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson for a bag of peanuts, and then threw half the peanuts away (when they cut Rafer Alston). Good as Harris and Lopez are, they're not going to carry an NBA team at this point (if the nets supporting cast can even be called that). To put it more succinctly, if you're giving Yi Jianlian a permanent spot in the rotation, you're a legitimate threat to put up single digit wins no matter who you have.
That being said, when teams start tanking for John Wall, and players start missing 30 games with a jammed toe, the Nets could squeak out just enough wins to avoid infamy.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby nova » 25 Jan 2010, 11:22

Dthefritz wrote:
Untouchable wrote:wasn't devin harris really good last year? wha happen? also brook lopez? seems like they should be good enough to win at least 25-30 games just on paper...

What happened is they traded Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson for a bag of peanuts, and then threw half the peanuts away (when they cut Rafer Alston). Good as Harris and Lopez are, they're not going to carry an NBA team at this point (if the nets supporting cast can even be called that). To put it more succinctly, if you're giving Yi Jianlian a permanent spot in the rotation, you're a legitimate threat to put up single digit wins no matter who you have.
That being said, when teams start tanking for John Wall, and players start missing 30 games with a jammed toe, the Nets could squeak out just enough wins to avoid infamy.

If John Wall is the answer to their problems, do you think they need to move Devin Harris sooner rather than later? I think Oklahoma City would be a great landing place for Harris, since he's a TRU point guard and they're a team full of chuckers. This could put Westbrook into a better role as a combo guard off of the bench.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 25 Jan 2010, 11:36

nasty nova wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

If John Wall is the answer to their problems, do you think they need to move Devin Harris sooner rather than later? I think Oklahoma City would be a great landing place for Harris, since he's a TRU point guard and they're a team full of chuckers. This could put Westbrook into a better role as a combo guard off of the bench.

DH is kind of a chucker himself though isn't he? i forgot who it was but simpson had an "expert" on his podcast who said that if the jazz were able to draft JW they would trade deron williams immediately. so i assume it would be a no-brainer for the nets to trade harris in that situation.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby Dthefritz » 25 Jan 2010, 11:59

Untouchable wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

DH is kind of a chucker himself though isn't he? i forgot who it was but simpson had an "expert" on his podcast who said that if the jazz were able to draft JW they would trade deron williams immediately. so i assume it would be a no-brainer for the nets to trade harris in that situation.

DH is a chucker. That's why the Mavs traded him for an aging Jason Kidd, something a certain espn.com columnist cannot seem to grasp. Talent-wise and age-wise it was an unfavorable trade, but it would be a more convincing argument if he didn't write a 700 page book arguing that the secret to building a successful team was chemistry and players knowing and accepting their role.

The expert to whom you refer is Chad Ford. He's been wrong about players many times, but his entire job is devoted to covering the NBA draft and interviewing GM's and scouts, so I assume we can trust his opinion on how prospects are valued. Harris has played some 2 guard, but they'd be giving up a hell of a lot of size if they start him and Wall. The only other situation like that I can think of is Cleveland, and that works largely because neither Williams or West are true pg's and don't always need the ball to be effective. Overall, though, I think Chris Paul is the only PG in the league who would keep his job if his team got the #1 pick.
Dthefritz
tl;dr

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 Jan 2010, 12:22

nasty nova wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Harris is as much of a TRU point guard as JD is a TRU playa.
the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby nova » 25 Jan 2010, 12:24

someguysomewhere wrote:
nasty nova wrote:
Dthefritz wrote:

Harris is as much of a TRU point guard as JD is a TRU playa.

:red:

I'll be in the College Hoop threads if anybody needs me.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby someguysomewhere » 29 Mar 2010, 23:34

the very best of _:

Mar 15

Apr 25
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby God Shamgod » 30 Mar 2010, 18:54

Anyone see that 60 minutes on their new owner? I want to party with that guy.

He does kind of look like Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan had a kid.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby Briandong79 » 30 Mar 2010, 19:47

God Shamgod wrote:Anyone see that 60 minutes on their new owner? I want to party with that guy.

He does kind of look like Urban Meyer and Billy Donovan had a kid.

Yeah, that was an entertaining story. Gotta like a guy who has no idea how much money he has in the bank, and has a multimillion dollar yacht that he's not entirely sure where it is.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Next

Return to NBA