Random Thoughts: The NBA Edition

Random Thoughts: The NBA Edition

Postby Rodney Farva » 24 May 2009, 13:34

i can't believe this thread didn't already exist.

- chauncey billups, hall of famer: yea or nay?

- does what seems from afar to be a great playoffs this year restoke interest in the nba, or does it just prove that watching the regular season is a waste of time?

- carmelo anthony is a lot better than i ever thought he would be
You coin contrarian bro and say shit nonsense like this.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Re: Random Thoughts: The NBA Edition

Postby Ogie Oglethorpe » 25 May 2009, 01:50

The NBA playoffs suckmyballs.
Ogie Oglethorpe
Father Douglas

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 May 2009, 09:19

Rodney Farva wrote:i can't believe this thread didn't already exist.

- chauncey billups, hall of famer: yea or nay?

- does what seems from afar to be a great playoffs this year restoke interest in the nba, or does it just prove that watching the regular season is a waste of time?

- carmelo anthony is a lot better than i ever thought he would be

Chauncey: depends on the next couple of years. I don't think he's quite there yet.

Regular season: definitely a waste of time.

'Melo: I'm definitely surprised he's put it together. He's kept himself out of trouble for like a solid year now.
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby Rodney Farva » 25 May 2009, 09:51

someguysomewhere wrote:Chauncey: depends on the next couple of years. I don't think he's quite there yet.

he might not get in right away, but i think he's going to get it even if he falls off a cliff after this year. the farther away time gets from the detroit championship and run of conference finals, the clearer it will be that he made those teams the winners they were (particularly if this season is what the pistons will be like for a while). the impact he had on denver this year seems pretty big and he certainly is getting a lot of credit for it, even if melo has continued to improve and some of their other players have finally figured out how to play. no one will remember the first few years when he bounced around and didn't do much.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby someguysomewhere » 25 May 2009, 11:32

Rodney Farva wrote:
someguysomewhere wrote:Chauncey: depends on the next couple of years. I don't think he's quite there yet.

he might not get in right away, but i think he's going to get it even if he falls off a cliff after this year. the farther away time gets from the detroit championship and run of conference finals, the clearer it will be that he made those teams the winners they were (particularly if this season is what the pistons will be like for a while). the impact he had on denver this year seems pretty big and he certainly is getting a lot of credit for it, even if melo has continued to improve and some of their other players have finally figured out how to play. no one will remember the first few years when he bounced around and didn't do much.

Kind of also depends a bit on whether the Pistons can put it back together quickly (which I don't think they will).
the very best of _:

Mar 15
if im cooking frozen pizza in the oven, how long should i preheat it. box says preheat to 375F but for how long?

Apr 25
the opportunity cost of knowing how to preheat an oven is pretty puny compared to anything else
someguysomewhere
TRU Patriot

Postby mister bacon » 25 May 2009, 12:55

chauncey is a HOFer right now. he has been undoubtedly the leader of now TWO thuggish go-nowhere teams into deep playoff runs. i think he will finish as the best PG of his era. and by that i mean the bridge between the jason kid era, to the chris paul era... he might not get in on the first shot, but he will get in, and deservedly so.
2006 SOTSG ESPN March Madness Tourney Challenge Champion
2010 SOTSG NFL Pick 'Em Champion

mj3528 wrote: I hate panhandlers with dogs. I feel so bad for the dog.

ctz31 - Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:30 pm: I'm gonna win a chip w romo. I'm done w blacks. No offense
mister bacon
Black on Both Sides

Postby God Shamgod » 25 May 2009, 13:59

I think Billups needs to win a ring in Denver to even be in the conversation.

Everyone forgets this, but his expiring contract was once a throw in on a Ron Mercer for Tariq Abdul Wahad trade. Warrants mentioning.
ctz31 wrote:I hate hate hate the fact that I never had the opportunity to be an orgy guy.
God Shamgod
1-900-SHAMGOD

Postby nova » 25 May 2009, 17:30

mister bacon wrote:chauncey is a HOFer right now. he has been undoubtedly the leader of now TWO thuggish go-nowhere teams into deep playoff runs. i think he will finish as the best PG of his era. and by that i mean the bridge between the jason kid era, to the chris paul era... he might not get in on the first shot, but he will get in, and deservedly so.

I agree. I will go as far to say that he's the most underrated player in the game.
Jew Jitsu: It's like you guys are incompatible with each other but have to make due cause you can't pull out.
nova
Thrifty Negro

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 26 May 2009, 02:43

Those Detroit teams go nowhere without Larry Brown instilling that defense....and Rasheed Wallace...and Rip Hamilton...and Memo Okur...and Antonio McDyess. That was a team with no real standout guy - Billips hit some big shots for them, but so did everyone else. I think Chauncey deserves the credit he deserves for that run, but you guys seem to be giving him a bit more than that. For the Pistons, he was a very consistent good/not great 40mins, 18pts, 6asst, 42% from the field and 36% from the arc.

This has been his best statistical postseason by far, and I would say his teammates have as much to do with that as he does; his 46 fg% just tops his previous high of 45%, which was with the Wolves. Shooting more than 10% better from 3 than he has any other year, 3 more points/game than he's ever had (cept for that Wolves year...), and more assists than he's ever had per game.

He would have to win another title to get consideration; I don't see how he's a hall of famer as of right now. If he is, than Sam Cassell is a lock, right? 3 rings, does the testicle dance, lock right? Tony Parker, hall of famer? Better postseason resume than Billups, with a lot more years to go.

And that Detroit team never gets a ring if Cassell doesn't get hurt, anyway. And I will continue to rue the day the Wolves let Billups go, goddamnit.

I think ya'll are getting caught up in Nugget fever - I mean, "best pg of the gap between Kidd and Paul", the fuck? Why not "best contrived way of saying someone is the best?" But it happens. J.R. Smith has "second coming of Kobe, with deeper range" potential; good to see Kenyon finally figure out what he should be doing (although holding onto Gasol's arm for eight seconds for no reason is pretty fucking stupid). Chauncey and that team really was/is an insanely perfect fit - gives them another shooter to spread floor for Melo, feeds Melo, lets J.R. play more, gets Kenyon/Nene going with easy shots. They still won't beat the Lakers, though.

Most underrated player of this generation is McGrady. People forget and dismiss so easily.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Postby Brick Tamland » 26 May 2009, 08:34

MisterTambourineMan wrote:Most underrated player of this generation is McGrady. People forget and dismiss so easily.

And he finally made it to the 2nd round! :D
](*,)

2012 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
2007 SOTSG Pro Football Pick'em Champeen
Brick Tamland
The Bomb Dick

Postby Dr Jeckyll » 26 May 2009, 08:39

Carmelo Anthony's success in the nba is a surprise to people? out of college i was thinking he'd be a top 5 or 10 player. also: i agree with mtm's post. i think billups is pretty much the same "generation" as kidd and nash, and he's not as good. for me the thing about that pistons team that won the championship that made them unique was that all the starters(billups, rip, the wallaces, prince) were very good but none of them HOF-level. it's not like billups was head and shoulders above the rest of those doods, at least to me.
Gregs Kite - Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:55 pm: I hate DJ and his stupid face and hes so stupid and I want to punch him
Dr Jeckyll
Never Forgotten

Postby Rodney Farva » 26 May 2009, 08:51

Untouchable wrote:Carmelo Anthony's success in the nba is a surprise to people? out of college i was thinking he'd be a top 5 or 10 player.

i am surprised that he has reached the level he has, i didn't expect it for him coming out of college or for the first few years of his career. there are a lot of examples of very talented players like him who don't make the leap he has.
Rodney Farva
Your real father

Postby BostonSucksMyBalls » 26 May 2009, 10:46

I say no to Billups HOF.
PS: I will never like July 27th. It will always be the day Reggie died. I just hate this day. True Celtic fans know what I mean.

"i'm relatively confident her asshole" - Farva
BostonSucksMyBalls
Slave to Uber

Postby Briandong79 » 08 Jun 2009, 13:22

The "Amazing" commercial with Magic's baby hook is pretty amazing for the quality of players involved on screen. Not to echo Simmons, but when Magic (HOF) starts his drive, he is guarded by McHale (HOF) and then Parrish (HOF) starts over to help (leaving Kareem (HOF) wide open underneath, tough to see the angle but it really looks like he was open). As Magic starts going into his shot, Bird (HOF) then comes onto the screen, as you see Dennis Johnson (borderline HOF) boxing out Worthy (HOF) down in the lower part of the screen. Only Danny Ainge, who comes into shot right at the end, is an average player.
PhillyJim76 - Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:20 am: X?I wrote a disturbing clueless fan fiction story that got me in hot water in college
Briandong79
Beep Boop

Postby MisterTambourineMan » 08 Jun 2009, 13:25

Briandean79 wrote:The "Amazing" commercial with Magic's baby hook is pretty amazing for the quality of players involved on screen. Not to echo Simmons, but when Magic (HOF) starts his drive, he is guarded by McHale (HOF) and then Parrish (HOF) starts over to help (leaving Kareem (HOF) wide open underneath, tough to see the angle but it really looks like he was open). As Magic starts going into his shot, Bird (HOF) then comes onto the screen, as you see Dennis Johnson (borderline HOF) boxing out Worthy (HOF) down in the lower part of the screen. Only Danny Ainge, who comes into shot right at the end, is an average player.

You also see Bird backing away from the shot. Nice contest.
MisterTambourineMan
Now

Next

Return to NBA